“This restaurant is #1 with my family.”
Review of Langano skies

Langano skies
Ranked #258 of 2,424 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Strathcona
Edmonton, Canada
“This restaurant is #1 with my family.”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Looking at the Tripdvisor site, stating this is rated #570 of 1093 restaurants in Edmonton and I find that implausible. We have eaten here for years and Langano Skies at Whyte Avenue and 99 Street Edmonton will always be #1 for us. The food is always great, the service is friendly and the owner always has time to greet us when we come in. We were just there last Sunday and she asked us where we had been as she had missed our previous visit.

When we started eating here we had 4 omnivores in the family. We all enjoyed both meat and vegetarian options. As our sons took on Vegetarian lifestyles, we wondered where we would all be able to share a meal we would all enjoy. Langano Skies was the place. The Vegetarian options are every bit as tasty as the meat options. Sharing a platter laden with Yemisir Kik Wot, Ater Kik Aletcha Wot, Shiro Wot and Vegetable Tibs on our last visit left the three us feeling well sated and provided a take take away meal for our University student son.

Every time we have enforced family bonding time here, our Edmonton son is happy with the choice and our Vancouver son is very jealous he can not join us. He has yet to find an Ethiopian Restaurant in Vancouver that can compare and when he spent 2 years in the Bay Area, only managed to find one place that even came close. When he returns to Edmonton for a visit, this is the first place he wants to go to. We also take our out of province and out of country guests here as well and they all rave about it. The Ethiopian coffee is very flavourful and the Vegetarian buffet on the last Tuesday of the month is a tasty deal.

Amsela, we will be back soon (and often).

• Visited March 2013

Edmonton, Canada
“Fantastic authentic Ethiopian food!”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

If you want ataste experience visit Langano Skies on Whyte Avenue and 99 street. This family run restaurant features authentic Ethiopian cuisine. Something for everyone. Vegetarian buffet on the last Tuesday of the month is especially good.

For a treat order the Ethiopian coffee.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Roger M
“Always delicious”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I've been to Langano Skies 3 times now. I haven't had Ethiopian food anywhere else, and I'm generally not that adventurous, but I love going here. Rather than worry about what to order, we always just let the waiter pick, and say that we don't want anything over-the-top spicy. Every time, I have enjoyed every dish they picked. I know the authentic way is to eat right off the communal plater, but they will also give you plates & let you spoon what you want onto your own plate, which I prefer. The tricky part is to eat enough of the meat etc. before you fill up on pancake.

The server every time has been very helpful and knowledgeable. This time was speedy, but other visits when I've been with a large group, there has been a wait (especially if everyone orders the mango smoothie), as there is usually only one server. The decor is just OK, and the place looks pretty sketchy from the outside, but definitely get past that and come in for the food. I also recommend the Ethiopian tea!

• Visited April 2012
Edmonton, Canada
“hello food poisoning, overpriced and can get better across the river”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

The owner/manager yelled at me over the phone when I told her I was sick after eating her food. When I asked her if she preferred I call the health authorities she sweetened up a bit but basically told me never to come back. Service is painfully slow e.g., waited 2 hrs to give order and when it came it was all wrong and we were starving and stuck with a huge bill

Visited December 2010
1 Thank Afrinina
Edmonton
“wonderful food”
Reviewed December 6, 2009

My husband and I have been to four other Ethiopian restaurants in Canada, and this is by far the best we've tried outside of Ethiopia. The lunch time fares are quite reasonable and the last Tuesday of every month has a $15 vegetarian buffet. Can't wait to go again.

1 Thank hanzolo