“Over-priced and underwhelming”

Ruth's Chris Steak House - Edmonton
Reserve with OpenTable
Ruth's Chris Steak House - Edmonton is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 2,416 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Transit: Directly in front of the restaurant
Edmonton, Canada
“Over-priced and underwhelming”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

When Ruth's Chris is on its game, you take the eye-popping prices attached to their cuts of meat -- side dishes extra of course -- smile and run up the credit card because the food, service and atmosphere is generally very good to excellent. When it's not on its game, you start thinking of the names of places you could have eaten for half the price that are just as good.

When a birthday dinner starts with a matter-of-fact, "Sorry, we couldn't get you the table you requested ahead of time (or any other tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the middle of the restaurant), the prices being charged -- cuts of steak START at $46 and go up to $99 for a big porterhouse for two -- don't hold the same value. Such was the case on our last visit.

We've been to Ruth's Chris 7-8 times since it opened in Edmonton, mostly for special occasions like anniversaries and birthdays. On previous visits, seating requests had been met. People like that. I know I do. That's one of the reasons we've gone back. There are lots of places in Edmonton that serve a great steak for less money, but when a place sets aside that special table or a special occasion, as Ruth's Chris had in the past, it feels worth the extra money. When that doesn't happen? Not so much.

We ordered calamari (consistently some of the best you'll find), the seafood trio, the stuffed chicken breast and the sweet potato casserole, which I think is the best item on the menu, and everything was as we'd come to expect. Not the best meal I've ever had, but good. Our server was excellent -- attentive but not hovering, and friendly. No real issues with the meal or the service.

Well, check that. On past birthday visits, the restaurant was good enough to offer a complimentary item off the dessert menu -- something of our choosing. On this night, our server offered up something to go because we'd decided not to stay for dessert, but didn't ask what, if anything, we'd prefer. He chose the Crème Brulee. I wouldn't have, had I been asked. Appreciated the gesture, but . . .

In short, our night at Ruth's Chris began less-than-favourably with the table we were given and ended the same way with the Crème Brulee. Simply put, at this price point, everything needs to be just right. It wasn't.

• Visited August 2013

Langley City, Canada
“Delicious!!!!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Private reception in the downstairs rooms. Very nice, very delicious. We will be back to eat here again!

Visited August 2013
Courtenay, Canada
“Targeted at middle aged businessmen on expense accounts”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I visited here a year ago, however a colleague went last night and he had pretty much the same experience as me, prompting me to write the review.

This review is about my visit.

We went on a very cold winter night. The greeting at the door was nice enough, but once seated the service was offhand bordering on rude. Sure enough we were surprised by the cost of the steaks, and as we were on expenses (strictly enforced) we had to be modest. This really displeased our waiter, who displayed all the warmth and charm of a snotty country club waiter circa 1945.

That is to say we were made to feel cheap. The service was offhand, we were actively sneered at when we didn't order a huge selection of sides, appetizers or even desert (and to be clear, the glass of house wine, steak and one side dish still came in at over $80pp).

On the contrary, the table next to us was full of middle aged business types who clearly had better expense accounts. They were in the midst of ordering rounds of double scotches and good bottles of wine. The same server was a pure delight when attending their table.

So in short, I would not recommend it unless you have a lot of money to throw about there. For me, dinner for $80 is already a lot of money (and to be honest will get you a lot better in many places in Edmonton). won't rush back.

• Visited November 2012
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Never again”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Very, very expensive for not good food. My t-bone steak with lobster tail and potato with onion rings was over $100. I sent most of it back as the steak was tough as was the lobster tail, the potato was still hard in the centre but at lest the onion rings were good. My wife had the coconut shrimp which came way overdone and she could only eat 3. In all, with 3 glasses of wine and a cocktail, the bill came to $230 before tip. I had heard the food there was expensive but I at least expected it to be good. We will not return as there are too many restaurants in Edmonton at far cheaper prices with much better quality food.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank erndarchrkai
Calgary
“Better be on an expense account”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had dinner at Ruth's Chris because it is next to the Westin and we were very hungry. The steak was perfectly medium rare and delicious. However, everything is so expensive that it is borderline silly. It's like someone did the menu and said how much can we charge? The service was over attentive. Someone kept coming to our table every two or three minutes for the whole meal. I guess that what we were paying for but it seems to me that good service includes knowing when enough is enough. We were both glad for the experience which is not to be repeated.

Visited July 2013