“great food experience”

Ranked #243 of 2,527 Restaurants in Edmonton
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Westmount
Reviewed October 21, 2012

You'll soon see why there are line-ups to get in to Urban Diner.
The food is a pumped up version of really good diner food. Whether you're headed there for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, you will leave feeling more than satisfied. Rather large portions and everything is tasty. I highly recommend getting there early enough in the morning (before they run out) so you can have a glass of their fresh squeezed orange juice -- yes, the real thing!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I have eaten here a number of times, for dinner only (although I have heard the weekend breakfasts are phenomenal). Portion sizes are generous, and to my knowledge most things are made in-house. Of particular note are the fried chicken, meatloaf, shepherd's pie, and the banoffee pie (banana toffee). They have an excellent selection of high-end natural sodas, which is nice for those who choose not to drink alcohol. This is a small, neighbourhood cafe (run by the same people as The Manor Cafe located across the alley) that is always sure to please. And as a bonus, the prices are very reasonable.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We're at the Urban Diner as I write this, and I have to say that it was pretty disappointing.
We've been here many times before and like the previous reviewer, it is 7pm, the restaurant is nearly empty and it was the slowest and worst food eaten of our visits here.
We got seated right away, ordered within a 10 minutes and then waited....and waited....I ordered the meatloaf entree and my husband had the hot dog with fries. It took a good 25 minutes for our order to come out and it just wasn't the same.
The meatloaf and mashed potatoes were really dry. There wasn't a lot of gravy or cranberry chutney either. And the side if veggies was a sad sight.
Have to say the hot dog and fries looked great, but how do you mess up a hot dog???
Needless to say, I think we'll only be back during a busy time....or has the Urban Diner lost its touch?

Reviewed July 31, 2012

Especially if you are there after 7 or 8 pm on a weekday. Staff are intent on shutting down. Kitchen is on autopilot.
Too bad as we have made this a fav for at least a once a week visit. No more. Used to be good sort of upscale diner food moderately priced. Now poor food, indifferent service and that makes it look expensive relative to value.
Go for poutine, mac and cheese and wine list (if they have their list in stock!) Burg filled with filler like you mom made, steak not up to AB standard, lasagna heavy and filling like polyfila, odd choices of spicing on quesidilla. Too bad so sad

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I love this hidden little gem, the food is great and just talking about it makes me want to go and eat something. This out of the way Diner is delicious!