“Teeny portions, so-so service”

Yiannis Taverna Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Yiannis Taverna Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #212 of 2,424 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Strathcona
Cross street: 104th
Transit: There is a bus stop on the block, and a taxi stand.
Description: Yiannis serves Greek food that is inspired by traditional recipes and healthy living. Our chef, James Anast, tries to encompass every aspect of Greek cookery, from its inherent healthfulness, to its history and customs in our menu. We are located in our own building on trendy and historic Whyte Ave and have a warm and ambient room that evokes thoughts of the Mediterranean. To further enhance your dining experience there is belly-dancing on weekends and a beautiful Moroccan lounge in our lower floor for you to sip some tasty libations before or after your dinner.
Edmonton, Canada
“Teeny portions, so-so service”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Teeny portions, so-so service, like I said in the title. It's bogus that this review requires one hundred characters to be submitted, especially when the title says it all. So, in order to submit my reviewy, I'll just have to repeat myself. Teeny portions, so-so service. Teeny portions, so-so service. Teeny portions, so-so service. Teeny portions, so-so service. Teeny portions, so-so service

Visited August 2012

Edmonton, AB
“Great Calamari, uneven service”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The best calamari I have found is at this restaurant. Most other dishes are good but not exceptional. It is a little bit pricey and the service tends to be a little bit uneven.

Visited October 2012
Canada
“Great Food, Horrible Service”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Went to Yiannis tonight and ordered the set menu dinner for two. The food was absolutely delicious (as usual)! The appetizers include hummus and pita, Greek salad, and the cheese they light on fire (I can't remember the Greek name). The main course comes on a large plate and includes: rice, roasted potatoes, lambchops, salmon, chicken, and a side of tzatziki sauce. The portion was very large - my husband and I were unable to finish the plate. Yummmm! It was very good.

The service; however, was horrible. We were the only table in the restaurant. After the server brought our appetizers she did not return for thirty minutes. We sat with our dirty dishes on table waiting for her to come take them away. When she returned, she was carrying our entree which she had trouble setting on the table since she did not clear our dirty dishes. This time she returned to see how our meal was... after twenty minutes. My husband had finished his beer, his water and his meal by the time she came back. She then refilled our water glasses and left for another ten minutes. Once again we sat with our dirty dishes on the table, this time waiting for the bill.

The food at this restaurant is so delicious, but this was very poor service. We have decided we will not return, but will try a different Greek restaurant based this recent experience :( (We have been here a few times before and the service was great. I am really not sure why it was so terrible tonight. There is also live belly dancing on the weekends.)

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank JennyLovesAsia
Halifax, Canada
“Good Portion sizing, Excellent Service”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Went to Yianni's to catch up with an old friend. We were allowed to sit up in the less crowded area which was nice, and meant we could chat without disruption. Our server was very friendly, and excited to be going to Greece the following day. I orderd the Chicken Souvlaki, it was really good. Also being a celiac it was nice to know that their dishes were Gluten free, and eaay to pick out as they were flagged "G". Food was fresh tasting and really delicious. The wine list was good, our server picked out a really nice Greek wine. I cannot recall what it was, but it had the smoothest finish ever! So good in fact we shared two bottles. Didn't order dessert, the wine was dessert enough!!

• Visited August 2012
Edmonton, Canada
“Great location with good food”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Coming from the Mediterranean, I always had something for that region's food. I tried Yiannis for the first time ever, and I'm not really an expert on Greek food, but everything was tasty and fresh. Went for the Greek Salad and a main dish, everything was a delight!
Staff are really friendly, the restaurant is highly recommended for a casual dinner on Whyte Ave.

• Visited August 2012