“Yummy”

Yiannis Taverna Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Yiannis Taverna Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #160 of 2,575 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Strathcona
Cross street: 104th
Transit: There is a bus stop on the block, and a taxi stand.
Description: Yiannis serves Greek food that is inspired by traditional recipes and healthy living. Our chef, James Anast, tries to encompass every aspect of Greek cookery, from its inherent healthfulness, to its history and customs in our menu. We are located in our own building on trendy and historic Whyte Ave and have a warm and ambient room that evokes thoughts of the Mediterranean. To further enhance your dining experience there is belly-dancing on weekends and a beautiful Moroccan lounge in our lower floor for you to sip some tasty libations before or after your dinner.
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Grandma was cooking in the kitchen, server was friendly and knowledgeable. Shared the appetizer platter (4 people) and was very satisfied after adding a couple more items.

2  Thank dad2b73

Reviewed May 5, 2012

Last night I took a friend from out of province along with my daughter and granddaughter to Yiannis. I've been so many times before and always take my visitors there. Hopefully this bad experience was a one off but I had to address it nevertheless.

First the good stuff....the belly dancer took my grand daughter and danced with her...I don't think that little girl is ever going to forget it..she said it was like if Cinderella played with her..the dancer had on a beautiful outfit and she was very engaging.

We had a great seat by the window and a young waitress came over and basically told us how great she was so we thought okay this should be a nice experience! She was pleasant. The appetizers were awesome, dolmades and the tomato and feta cheese. We had a sangria with the little umbrellas and asked for a special drink for my granddaughter, she brought a really neat red, white a blue slush drink to her and told us she had to remake it because the bartender didn't know what he was doing...okay now we were getting the idea..she really thinks she's great. Now cut to the chase. We ordered entrees and each of us had cold potatoes and rice on our plates. Two of us had prawns...really rubbery and the swordfish overcooked..they were busy so maybe the food sat under hot lights. She was busy and after three requests of extra napkins, we were brought some.

Long story short. My friend offered to pay for the dinner so he went to the girl at the door and asked to pay. He told her to take the money as he can't see very well. She did and after he went to the washroom, the waitress came over asked us if there was anything wrong and told us that he shortchanged her for her tip. I was completely gobsmacked....why not tell him I thought....my gawd we could have been on a date or something. I told the manager and she was horrified. She watched the entire incident herself. That was that..an apology..the manager happened to be the one that took his money....anyway I'm not happy. What a lack of class the waitress Alexis displayed. Even if he did tip short, at no time should she have addressed it....especially not us!

Reviewed April 29, 2012

Nice decor, good service, quite good food - the flaming cheese is great. They also had a belly dancer. Nice place for an evening out.

1  Thank Alberta83
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Love the atmosphere and enjoy this long time favorite. Food is pretty good and consistant

1  Thank 10000elle
Reviewed March 30, 2012

In town visiting during Spring Break and wanted something unique for dinner. We love greek food and heard about Yiannis. We checked out the reviews, some favourable...others not so...but decided this was going to be the place. With short notice we were able to make a reservation and get a table for 5...good start. When we arrived the place was packed, so I was grateful we got in (a packed restaurant is a good sign in my books). Immediately the service was outstanding, our waitress very attentive (3 adults, 2 kids). They did not have a specific kids menu and we were happy about it (kids menu's are all the same and do not encourage kids to try new things...chicken fingers, pasta, burgers) so the kids had to eat what we were eating. After asking for advice from the waitress we decided to go with the Entree for 2 Platter (for the 4 of us). Oh my word the food just kept coming and it fed all 5 of us with leftovers. The greek salad came first and was massive/delicious, next was pita with dips and finally our huge platter with lamb chops, chicken breasts, salmon, rice & veggies. Our belly dancer entertainer was just lovely and wonderful with the kids. Much to my delight this restaurant also serves Ekmek, a favourite greek dessert of mine for over 25 years and so hard to find. Finally the coffee was super tasty and some of the best I've had in a long time. This restaurant is definitely a must and one we will visit again.