“Amazing oysters ”

Von's Steak & Fish House
Reserve with OpenTable
Von's Steak & Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #125 of 2,661 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Gateway Boulevard
Reviewed August 1, 2016 via mobile

We had so much food and all of it was amazing! Between 4 people, we had mushrooms Neptune, seafood platter for 2, charcuterie plate, and about 2 dozen oysters. It's was the best food I've had in a long time! Next time I think I'll skip the other items and go straight for the oysters because I enjoyed them so much!

Reviewed July 18, 2016

My wife and I wanted to go for "dinner and a movie" last Friday evening.
We first chose a restaurant in Old Strathcona called "Meat".
They do not take reservations, and when we got there we found it was packed and had a lineup.
I had driven by Vons on the way, and it was only a block away.
They had a sign outside advertising: "A buck a shuck"
I am a big fan of raw oysters, and Vons has been around for a long time, so we decided to give it a try.
We found out that the oysters special was only in the lounge, so we were seated there.
Our server was very friendly and personable.
We discussed the oysters, and I found out that you have to order a dozen.
Agreed to that. Chose a variety.
My wife chose the coconut shrimp appetizer.

Our appys soon came.
For some reason I was brought a plate with TWO dozen oysters. two different varieties, 12 of each.
They looked pretty small, and not wanting to cause a fuss, I accepted them.

I popped the first one in my mouth.
Big mistake. It was very much rotten!

I swallowed and washed it down with a swig of beer to get rid of the taste.
I sniffed the remaining ones of that type and it was apparent they were all like that.
The other dozen were of another variety, and did not smell bad, however my taste was now off oysters!

I got the attention of the waitress, and she took them away.

I ordered an iceburg lettuce wedge salad with blue cheese instead.

I thought that this would get the taste and sensation of the rotten oysters off my mind.
It was delivered promptly, and it was not bad.
I have had better, and I have had worse.
Generally for a lettuce wedge to be successful it has to be a young lettuce, very crisp and cold.
This was not as crisp as I would have liked, but still decent.
The blue cheese dressing and garnishes were nicely done.

My wife's coconut shrimp was quite good, and fairly typical for this dish.

For our main course my wife ordered Porcini crusted ribeye
I ordered their Wagyu Sirloin.

My wifes ribeye was a very nice steak.
Well prepared, and cooked exactly as ordered. It came with a honey chipotle adobo sauce on the side of the plate that was very nice, albeit a bit spicy for my wifes taste.

My "wagyu" sirloin, on the other hand was simply a piece of sirloin steak.
It certainly was not a piece of Wagyu beef.
The distinctive marbleing and tenderness of a wagyu cut was nowhere to be seen.

Further, to "doll it up" they presliced my steak thinly.
Some may think that is elegant.
I do not. It causes the juices to drain from the meat, and cause it to cool quickly.
Especially if one has ordered the steak rare, as I did.

To summarize:
An ordinary piece of sirloin steak, not wagyu as claimed, sliced before serving, cool, and not very impressive. Especially for a $30 piece of beef.

All in, appetizers, dinner, no dessert, total of 3 drinks and 15% tip, came to just under $200

The service was very good.
The food was pretty average.

1  Thank Maurice780
Reviewed July 17, 2016

We took our son and his girlfriend out for dinner and the service was good and the meal was very good but the the loud rock style music was a little much. The area we sat in was a little dark but maybe we should have asked for the patio. The prices were high but I guess that is a steak house for you. It wasn't until we got back to the hotel that we realized the waiter charged us for a bottle of beer that he made very clear they didn't have that night. Something about a party of people drinking cases of it the night before. Never know how to handle that after the fact.

Reviewed July 1, 2016

The good news is that the food was excellent--essential for any positive restaurant experience. However, even after we changed tables, there was insufficient light to enjoy the visual aesthetics of the food. When we complained, we were given a small flashlight, which hardly added to the ambiance of the evening. The service was good. But why, oh why, in a virtually empty dining room on a Thursday night was an energetic table of four seated next to our anniversary table of two? Pricewise, this is a special occasion only restaurant. The complementary anniversary dessert to split was a nice touch.

Reviewed June 26, 2016

What a disappointment of a steak. I ordered the rib-eye with a side of garlic mash. We were given bread and butter to start which were enjoyable. Shortly after, we were served our steaks. After the first cut into the steak, I knew the temperature was not right. I then cut into different parts of the steak to confirm it was the same throughout. I then asked the waitress what temperature I ordered the steak, she confirmed it was medium-rare. I told her this looked more to be a medium-well to medium at best. She then gave me a seemingly rehearsed speech about how they get this a lot and it's because of the lighting outside. First, if this is a common theme of your customers it might be the chef that is the problem and not the light. Second, don't tell your customers they are wrong. Third, please learn a steak cooking chart before you pretend to know what you are talking about. The steak was seasoned pretty well so I am not sure why they offer sauces for the steak during the ordering process. I did not want to punish the waitress for the improper cooked steak so I left a standard tip so I hope the management team sees this review and makes some changes. Definitely will look to other steak houses before returning.

1  Thank David M