“It stands apart”

Neighborhood: Garneau
Edmonton, Canada
“It stands apart”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We initially felt like the menu was a bit sparse but unlike other places that recycle menu components into a dozen similar offerings, each item on this menu was unique. There were also more daily specials and flavours of items than other places so the menu stays fresh. When we got the meal it was a sizable portion without skimping on finishing details and presentation. Everything tasted like it was prepared from scratch. The dessert and salad selections are visible in cases at the door and all of the options looked divine. We each had a drink, an entree and shared a dessert and the bill was $40 for 2.

• Visited July 2014

Jerusalem, Israel
“Never a bad meal”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I've never had a meal at this Edmonton restaurant that wasn't tasty, most recently, the buffalo burger. Service is usually good although, at times, it gets backed up and you wait too long for a waitress. This has not happened to me, however, not the last two times I ate there. Surroundings are pleasant. In the summer, in good weather, you can eat outside in their patio. They have a news stand where you can pick up and read (for free) the national or local news. And, most wenthralling, their desserts are always topflight. Their fudge cake with rasberry filling has remained the best, continually, for years and years. What's not to like!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Robert H
Edmonton, Canada
“Impressed even the pickiest eaters in the group”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Got there quite early because traffic wasn't as bad as I thought it would be so I had a glass of wine. Alex our waiter didn't make me feel that I was imposing in any way waiting for the rest of our group. The order included their meatloaf, steak, lasagna and I had soup and baked Brie with cheese and fruit. The meatloaf was so very different!!! But absolutely yummy!! The steak was declared to be perfect and the plate almost licked clean. The lasagna portion I thought was a bit small, but again declared to be superb . The only little bitty complaint I had was that my soup was not hot, hot... Just slightly hot. But it was a warm day... And I like my soup hot,hot. So this is just me. The brie with fruit and crackers and bread was also excellent. However earlier I heard the silliest comment I have ever heard at about 4:45. Customer: I'd like a takeout supper. What is your special? Staff member: sorry we know what the special is bit can't tell you until after 5:00 because that's when they start cooking it." Really???? Please educate this staff member so the customer doesn't walk out like this one did.

• Visited June 2014
Spruce Grove, Canada
“Used To Be”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

This used to be the place to have lunch but attention to detail is lacking and its unfortunate because the food is awesome. Its the service at the tables that are not what they used to be. I have been here on a number of occasions in the last year and keep hoping that customer service will improve-on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being excellent I would give them a 5/10 for service. For food I would give them a 10/10!

• Visited May 2014
“do not waste your time”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

service is ok. the menu seems like it hasnt been updated since it opened in the 50's. thai curry is disgusting. the place is a great location, but run down and old and dark. bought a $200 gift certificate once only to find out it couldnt be used towards alcohol. So went back and talked to them. Instead of changing the policy, they refunded the gift card after I demanded my money back. so they made $0 from instead of $200. atmosphere felt like i was in a seniors complex dining room (im in my 40's). go somewhere else...mc donalds maybe.

on a good note...they have an outstanding bakery. if you take out desserts vs eating in, its not so bad.

• Visited May 2014