“A smaller hidden space”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Strathcona
Cross street: 96 St.
Transit: Public Transit available on 82 Avenue at 96 Street
Description: Unheardof has been serving quietly elegant and eclectic cuisine to Edmontonians for 30 years. Our menu, which changes regularly, is increasingly local, regional and seasonal - a balance between the familiar and the innovative. We do our best to accommodate most dietary needs - celiac, vegetarian, and heart healthy. We are celebrating our 30th anniversary all year long, partnering with the Edmonton Food bank with our dollar a diner program and giving everyone who orders our regularly priced prix fixe menu a 30 in 30 certificate ($30 off a regularly priced entree within 30 days). Order a la carte or prix fixe (tapas, any starter, sorbet, any entree, any dessert) at $70 per guest. Arrive by 6pm (and if your table is available for rebooking by 7:30 pm, that price becomes an amazing $55) Plus there is no better spot to plan your special function - business or personal. We have two private dining rooms and decades of experience in helping make your occasions special
Reviewed December 11, 2012

exceptional purchase, unique taste, service excellent. A little on the expensive side but well worth the money

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I love Unheardof, it is a little gem that you hear of by word of mouth, or taste shall I say. Amazing food, amazing service, I am a longtime customer and always will be as long as they keep up their high standards.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We unfortunately choose the Unheardof to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We did come to this restaurant several years ago with a large group. We all enjoyed our dinner.....not this time! The decor is dated, very dated and tacky. I asked for a nice table since this was a special evening, but I guess their idea of a nice table is nothing close to what we would choose! Up against a dated marked up cedar wall with the ugliest lamp thing on the table. It takes a very long time for your wait staff to come to the table, even though they march by several times. Neither waiter or waitress introduced themselves, they were both very unprofessional. He was terrible, useless and never explained the dish or cared if we liked it or not. She was loud and abrasive, but at least showed some consideration. We choose the table d'hôte option, I don't eat meat but ordered food appropriate for my diet. We were served a "free" serving of beef and bison tartare obviously I didn't eat mine, my husband had only one small taste. Unknown waiter did not inquire if it was okay or anything. Next came our appetizers which was the four fins, apparently 4 different fish tartare. Not sure which was which, they were very good but not much towards staving of hunger. Next came our dinners, I ordered the lobster tail my husband the beef tenderloin. Unknown waitress brings them out, but does not explain these either. My lobster was blah and I'm guessing the mush it was sitting on was risotto, it only tasted of salt water. The carrots were completely tasteless, I don't know which local organic farm they are getting them from but cannot understand how something grown locally could be so bad?? My husband starts in on his meat, when waitress shows up and announces she has brought him the wrong meal, that it is actually bison and not beef tenderloin. He thought it was a bit tough for tenderloin. She takes it back and returns with the beef....he wished he had the bison back. It may not have been quite as tender, but at least had good flavor. We choose to skip dessert, as we just wanted out of the place. Our dinner with 2 glasses of bubbly, 2 glasses of wine and an overly generous 10% tip was $180.00. We feel robbed, and left hungry. We truly wish we had never heard of the Unheardof!! We entrusted them with a very special occasion, and it could not have been worse! Our two unknown wait staff knew we were not happy, but obviously didn't care! Bottom line: tacky decor, grossly overpriced, seriously untrained staff, and maybe the chef should go for some formal training! NEVER again!!

2  Thank Kathy B
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We went here for our anniversary dinner. Chose the early time, 5:30, for the early-bird special, a three course meal; appetizer, entree and dessert, for $55 instead of the usual $70. The special also includes a small tapas, on this night a two-or-three-bite Greek salad before the appetizer (uninspired, but free...) and a sorbet to cleanse your palate before the meal.
Our server was good; attentive, and polite. We had a couple of small problems which he quickly fixed. I had the stuffed chicken breast. The ravioli that came with it was cooked to a mush the first time, but the server brought me a second order, which was cooked perfectly. Should it have happened in the first place? No. was it fixed promptly? Yes. I guess everyone can have a bad moment. I just wish it wasn't with my dinner. The chicken was just okay, a little dry. I have had some amazing chicken dishes in Edmonton lately (most notably at Packrat Louie's), and this one was just not of the same caliber.
My husband had the beef tenderloin, which he said was cooked nicely, just not as tender as he had hoped. And it came with prawns. But there were only two of them, which also disappointed him a bit...
All in all, this is a nice restaurant. The inside is peaceful and pretty. The service is good, and the food is good, but not outstanding. I might try it again, to see if the chef was having an off day.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

Excellent service, well paced, server was Bryden, good job! Food was hot, tasty and perfect portion size. Still good value for the $.