“My Fav place to eat is The Free Press Bistro”
Review of The Free Press Bistro - CLOSED

The Free Press Bistro
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed February 9, 2012

The first place I go to eat while visiting Edmonton is the Free Press. Best sandwiches ever!!!

Reviewed December 7, 2011

I went to this bistro with two other family members for lunch. It seemed very interesting and promising, especially with its well-rounded menu and good reviews online. We ordered the calamari as a starter. When it came, we could easily tell that it was not fresh. It came pre-fried in a box and was just refried to-order (It made me reminiscent of some old McCain onion rings I once finished off from the bottom of my freezer). The calamari is a new addition to the menu; there was a piece of paper taped over something in the appetizer section with “Calamari $10.95” written over it. That should have been a sign not to order it, if it was too much of an effort to re-print the menu (which is one paper double-sided) it was clearly too much effort to make fresh. Two of us had ordered the shrimp po'boys with fries on the side. The unsalted fries were so greasy that my plate had brown drippings of grease under the fries. As for the po'boy, it looked like someone had put the calamari in the sandwich. The taste was one-dimensional; all you tasted was the crunchy bread (which did taste fresh) with salt. The other guest had ordered the smoked salmon pasta. The salmon was practically non-existent, and the little bits that were there were extremely salted. The pasta sauce (which was suppose to be a cream sauce) was not freshly made. You could tell that it must have been a Classico Alfredo sauce (or something of its equivalent). I was disappointed in the food that they put out, but what disturbs me even more, is the reviews my fellow edmontonians have given it. How can we expect businesses to improve on their services when we are feeding them bogus encouragement?

Reviewed July 21, 2010

I walked in and the carpets were absolutely filthy at the end of June, someone could hire a company to clean them.
I ordered the salmon and it was so dry, almost like it was from the day before.

The only way I would recommend this restaurant is if you don't care about quality.

Reviewed June 12, 2010

This place would be good if the paninis were about $8 and not the $13 they typically charge. The decor is 1980s Howard Johnson. Service is indifferent if not rude. Unbelievably, if you ask for something like extra mustard, you will get about a teaspoon in a cup and $2 added to your bill: an unbelievably tacky practice.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook