“Fully deserving of its reputation”
Review of The Blue Pear - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Westmount
Cross street: 124 Street & 107 Ave
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I had postponed going to this restaurant for some time as I had heard it was difficult to get a reservation. Finally went this week.
Food and service both excellent. Would definitely go again.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

My husband and I had a gift certificate for this restaurant. It is a business casual dress code but some people were there in jeans. The decor is very bland so hard to say it has any ambiance. My husband had the five course meal with the wine pairings. He enjoyed all of his meal except for the bit of steak that accompanied his lamb. I had the three course meal and opted for the red sangria to accompany it. I liked the sangria even though not a fan of red wine. My main dish was the steak and honestly it was awful. Every bite had gristle in it so I just gave up. The server did ask how it was when she removed the plate so they took off the price of the steak from our bill. That was a surprise. The meals all had great presentation. My husband had the chocolate dessert which was very rich. I seriously enjoyed the cheese platter. One server was quite friendly and the other was more aloof. Our dinner took 2 hours so don't expect to be out quickly. I would not be in a hurry to go back as there are other restaurants that are available.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Had a marvelous 3 course meal - fantastic flavours, nicely paced. Waitress could have known more detail about the menu, but overall a wonderful experience. This is a special occasion restaurant as it's pricey, but soooo good!

Reviewed March 11, 2012

After hearing about this restaurant a couple of years ago and reading about its Honourable Mention as a top three restaurant in Avenue Magazine (http://avenueedmonton.com/articles/best-restaurants-best-overall), my wife and I decided to check it out. After finding parking at the side entrance of what appeared to be some kind of quasi walk-up apartment / strip mall hybrid, we rang the doorbell to get in. That's right...we rang a door bell. The convenience store style door opened and we were greeted, pleasantly enough by someone we assumed was an employee of the restaurant. Given the area of town that this restaurant is located in and the price of the menu, I would have assumed that the money saved on the rent cost would have been spent on the room; a wrong assumption. The room is stark, basic, and save for a wall mounted water feature, devoid of character. Even the king sized bed sheet tacked to the ceiling couldn't compensate for the bingo chairs we were sitting on.
Service was decent enough, but again, not up to the standards of other fine dining establishments we have frequented. My three olive martini was good but the vanilla vodka cocktail my wife ordered did not quite taste as expected when it was mixed with blueberry vodka. After politely enduring a quarter of the drink assuming this is how it must have been designed to taste, our server informed us that the bartender (possibly the same person that unlocked the door for us at the beginning of the evening) had used the wrong vodka in my wife's drink. Without an apology, the proper drink was served and it tasted fine. We both opted for the 3 course fixed price menu. There is a 5 course option as well, but at this point, didn't want to press our luck. The 3 course menu included an appetizer, main, and dessert with an optional wine pairing. Between us we ordered the double wrapped quesadilla, dumpling, fish, duck, lemon, and chocolate for dessert. You can see the details on the Blue Pear website if you are keen, but the word that best describes all the courses in general is, average. I should caveat that it would be an above average meal in a chain restaurant but with expectations and prices as high as they were; this restaurant should be much better on all fronts. Edmonton has some great restaurants and unless you've been to all of them (twice), I would suggest putting this one at the bottom of your fine dining list.

3  Thank unocappuccino
Reviewed January 30, 2012

At The Blue Pear there are a number of things you can count on: excellent food; fine service and pleasant surroundings.