“Cold and Boney”

Ranked #37 of 2,590 Restaurants in Edmonton
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Garneau
Reviewed January 2, 2013

It was terrible! When my family and I saw this place advertised on tv we thought wow we have to go, so we did that following week. We had to wait outside for quite a while, ( that didn't bother me that much). once seated it took a while for the waiter, had to call her over ( cause we thought she forgot us ). Got the food, parents got the burgers I got the chilli. My dad then found a bone in the meat which he almost cracked a tooth on, and over all the food was stone cold. Didn't enjoy the atmosphere either (to hippy for my likeing) . Sorry to those who love this place, but i will definitely not return.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

My family of 4 adult eaters visited the Sugar Bowl after watching You Gotta Eat Here. (My university student son's 2nd visit...within walking distance of the U of A.) We ordered the curried chicken stew, lamb & goat cheese burger, beef & cheddar burger and the jerk chicken with avocado burger. All with fries, which came with homemade ketchup and a spicy cheese dip. All were rave reviews with not one bite left. It's a small establishment but it was very busy. Service was great - very friendly. The food menu is quite small but varied - the other 75% of the menu is beer...my son loves that. A great place to have a quick visit and good casual family meal. PS a gift card might just make it into his stocking.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Finally made it to highly rated Sugar Bowl in my hometown. Had a short wait for lunch that was definitely worth it. I opted for a late breakfast of Eggs Benny on cornbread. Perfectly poached eggs that soaked into the corn bread beautifully, mmmm it was verrrry good. My spouse had the steak frites which she enjoyed a lot, I had a taste of the steak it was very tasty. The steak was overcooked, asked for medium got well done but it was to tasty to consider complaining or mentioning to staff. I will definitely return, the burgers looked great and since I've never had chicken and waffles I will be back.

1  Thank Rob C
Reviewed November 18, 2012

This was my sisters favorite restaurant she goes very often, she tells us how wonderful it is. We decided to go for her birthday and they squished us into a corner table. When other tables emptied they refused to let us add or put two regular tables together. The waitress told us to spread out if we want somewhere else? Then she forgot two of our orders everyone got theres and we had to wait. She replied with a sharp no when we asked if there was any cinnamonbuns or muffins. Then my fathers chair literally fell apart from under him and his head hit the corner of the table behind us. They never even apologized to him or offered to help in anyway. Brought a new chair and one waitress rolled her eyes when we asked to speak to the manager. The manager was not in the restaurant they got her on the phone and said as we are leaving well we can give you a gift certificate. We just couldn't believe it. We would never want to go back. Oh and they never even made sure we had enough cutlery sets they plunked them in a messy pile in the middle of the table. It was a horrible experience, we went with great expectations that this place was wonderful. The waitress also refused to serve us dessert before three when it was 2:40 and after my father fell and its my sisters 20th bday. Which they knew too. Just awful.

1  Thank cleaversmith
Reviewed November 9, 2012

... we specifically visited to eat the much-touted and highly-anticipated Cinnamon Bun, and have to say, that particular item was a big disappointment. The Sugar Bowl itself is cute, cozy & comfy -- and I'll return next time to try something else on the menu (since this place is so highly regarded) -- but go ahead, skip the Cinnamon Bun. You're not missing anything.