“worse with time- way better restaurants close by”

No photo provided
Neighborhood: Westmount
Neighborhood: Westmount
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Use to love this place
great food, wonderful and attentive servers
great hidden "secret Garden" in the summer

I visited this place on a weekly basis. I then moved and hadn't gotten back in about an year. brought a friend, to whom I had raved about this place to for a long time.

Place was packed, the two servers where running around trying to keep things running smoothly. I then witnessed the Owner pour wine into a coffee mug, sat for a while at a computer out front and then walk away.

It must be said the two servers did a great job and worked well as a team. They got orders and helped each other wherever and whenever they could. they were friendly and always had a smile on their faces. I would return for the servers but not the restaurant or the food

Nut the appetizers took 45 minutes and the phyllo was overcooked and burnt on the bottom and our salad arrived without dressing. The Lamb Stew was very soupy and our crepes were no were near mild. Our server went to fix this problem and returned promptly with our side dish to nosh on while we waited. She apologized profusely,

Dessert was a saving grace as well. We ordered the crème brulee ( my favourite) and the orange and chocolate cheesecake.

I would take these desserts and the two servers any day.

NOT WORTH THE COST. THERE ARE PLENTY OF GREAT RESTAURANTS IN THE AREA. GO ELSEWHERE

9  Thank betty A

Reviewed August 2, 2012

I just discovered this great little Bistro in Edmonton. Great for lunch with a friend. Had the crab cakes and salad and it was very tasty. Best crab cakes I have had for a long time. Ambiance in the garden eating area behind the restaurant is great. Reminded me of little restaurants in Paris I will definitely return here for their crabcakes and will pick a sunny day to enjoyy their garden/patio setting in back.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

My daughter and I decided to try The Dish Bistro due to its high rating and proximity to Mountain Equipment Coop where we had shopping to do. We were disappointed in the restaurant.

The name is confusing. On Trip Advisor, it is called the Runaway Spoon Bistro. On its own website (http://www.thedishandspoon.com/) it is called The Dish and The Runaway Spoon, Bistro and Catering. The Runaway Spoon is the name of their catering business while The Dish is the name of their bistro restaurant.

They say they offer "Gourmet Comfort Food." Comfort food, yes. Gourmet, no. My 32 year old daughter had the Sticky Lime Chicken which the waiter had said was his favorite. Its presentation was unappetizing and my daughter was disappointed. I had the Rustic Lamb Stew which the waiter said was the best of the three entrees I had picked. It was served in a large bowl with the bread and the root vegetable chips on top of the stew which meant both got soggy. The bits of lamb were tasty but were small bits and few and far between. The flavor of the stew was good as we're the sweet potatoes and other ingredients.

For desert, I ordered the special, Strawberry Shortcake. The strawberries and whipped cream were fine but the shortcake tasted like three day old bread.

It may have been a bad night for the chef but we won't be back.

7  Thank Toby C
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Don't go here for a romantic dinner but if you want a cute and small dining experience especially if you're out and about near Jasper I'd recommend this place. I went there for lunch and it had good food, good prices, and just an interesting dining experience. I was drawn to it by the name but I wasn't disappointed. Lunch with friends to break up shopping :P

1  Thank Dinahbaby13
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I have actually used their catering service on three separate occasions. They have bring their platters on lovely decorated wood plates. The roasted red pepper with pita chips is delicious. The food is very affordable with adequate portions.
I find the menu does not change that much.
I find the restaurant to be small so we have been turned away.

1  Thank Anne B