“Not your typical Burger joint”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Burg - CLOSED

The Burg
Cuisines: American, Bar, Canadian, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown
Alberta
“Not your typical Burger joint”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

My wife and I had lunch here yesterday just to try it out. Burgers are a North American staple and most of us have grown up on A&W, McD's and whatever local burger joint might have existed in our area. The Burg takes it back to the basics and does it right, fresh ground 100% chuck from a local producer, fresh baked buns from the Vienna Bakery, home made ketchup, in house pickles, and house cured bacon and my favorite, gravy made from simmered stock done demi-glace style. The attention paid to the smallest detail is evident in every tasty bite. They offer a small range of signature burgers, plus the option to build your own from the burger patty up. Everything from Bison, to Turkey and all the condiments really done your way. The menu leads with an assortment of appetizers such a deep fried pickles and mac and cheese balls panko crusted and fried golden and cripsy. The Burg has a good selection of beer, wine and cocktails that goes well beyond just a burger joint. We never had room to even consider dessert, but I am sure anything we'd have picked would have been amazing. Definitely worth putting on the list of excellent Edmonton eateries. Service was quick and attentive which is important for lunch in the downtown core and while it came at a price point higher than the standard burger it was also worth every beefy bite.

• Visited February 2014

Edmonton, Canada
“Over-Priced/Bad service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

I don't normally write reviews but this restaurant is NOTHING to get excited about.

The Positives.... the decor is nice very causal and rustic nice layout, the location is very centrally located,and The Burgers we very good nothing to complain about there.

Now for the Negatives....
My Husband and I like to try new restaurants and thought that we would try The Burg this was our first time there so we didn't know what to expect.

-The service was the worst that I have had in a long time.... took 10mins just to be greeted by the waitress, and then another 45mins before we got our meals then another 20mins before our plates were even cleared away. They also forgot about a side that we ordered and we had to ask how long it would be to get the item and we were told the kitchen was really backed up and that was it.(FYI there was less then half of the restaurant full).

-We also were VERY disappointed in the Price of the food compared to what you got. You have to Order a "side" separate ($4.00 for Fires) thought that they would be much bigger amount then what was given. Also I ordered their "famous" 2 day old gravy- super bland. Also Drinks are very overpriced.
All in all Burgers were good but will not be back to this restaurant ANYTIME soon.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Shannon K
Edmonton
“Great local hangout”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Often will stop in here for dinner or a drink if I have some free time to spare.

The bison is never dry, which is a feat in its own right. Very fresh.
The chicken is very moist each time.
My only complaint is occasionally the brioche buns are a tad stale.

Servers are extremely friendly though absent minded at times. Interesting if not exhaustive beer selection.
If you are budget conscious this may not be the right choice, as some of the pricing is a bit inflated.
Great atmosphere in terms of the space, not always that lively, but Friday and Saturday nights are quite fun.

• Visited January 2014
Edmonton, Canada
“New and comfy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is my first time. Very friendly staff. Build your own burger with a host of choices. They specialize in a number of their own products, including smoking their own bacon. It has booths or bar, TV is you are interested. Reasonable price for downtown.

Visited November 2013
Spruce Grove, Canada
“Tasty food but overpriced and plain delivery”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Had lunch Nov 8/13. Last time here was Ric's Grill. They lightened the place up but the general lay out of the place has not changed much. Service was friendly and prompt. The menu to me was confusing since most items were expensive for just a burger and then you had to pay for a side Regular for $4 and Premium for $5.75. Regular gives you normal fries, potoato chips, deviled eggs, coleslaw, mushroom soup or mac n' cheese balls. Premium is yam fries, caesar salad, house salad, onion rings or chili. I ordered the mac n' cheese balls since it sounded interesting. You can see by the pictures I got three small balls of mac and cheese, rolled and covered with bread crumbs and deep fried. This small bowl of cheese dip came with it, which I assumed was to be the flavour since the mac n cheese balls really were dull. $4 for that was not worth it in my mind. I had the cajun chicken sandwhich ($12) which was good, but sloppy with guacomole inside along with the melted cheese. The guacomole did not add anything to the flavour since it was not seasoned or chopped fine. My buddy had the Burg ($13) which is just the burger. No sides. It was a drippy mess but my buddy said it tasted good.
On a Friday, the place was active but not crowded. There were lots of tables available. There is a build your own burger tick sheet that you can fill out to get the burger you want. But it does price everything out for you and looks a little pricey.
Would I go back, probably, but you can get just as good burgers elswhere with sides that come with the meal at a price that I think is more reasonable.

• Visited November 2013