“Awesome food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Red Ox Inn

Red Ox Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Ox Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 2,393 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Canadian, International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 95 Ave.
“Awesome food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Hidden gem of a place. Food was excellent as well as the service. We will be coming back for more for sure. Highly recommend this place.

• Visited June 2014

“Cozy fine dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

Tucked away in a Strathearn strip mall, Red Ox Inn is one of the best restaurants in Edmonton.
There was no low point in the meal. From the wine and appetizers to the entree and dessert, each course hit the right notes.
I started with a smoked beet salad, which came with candied walnuts, Brussel sprouts and a creamy goat cheese. There were also sliced radishes and apple.
The smokey-sweet flavour of the beets, smooth texture of the cheese and crunch of the Brussel sprouts and sliced apples/radish was an experience that awakened all senses involved with the dining experience.

My partner had asparagus with roasted rye and an egg.
The yolk was gooey, but not runny. Perfectly done and the asparagus was a highlight.
For the entree, I chose the pasta, while my companion opted for the beef tenderloin.
My meal came with butternut squash -- cubed and mashed -- as well as truffles. The burst of flavour in each bite was sheer pleasure.
Naturally, we couldn't stop at two offerings when dessert was calling.
We ordered a lemon tart and the "chocolate" dessert.
Amazing. The chocolate was rich, with many styles such as chocolate and caramel mousse, all in one dessert.
The lemon tart sealed a perfect meal.
The majority of restaurants, "value" is emphasized. Some offer cheap eats, or moderately-priced dishes in massive quantities.
But when eating food focused on quality, the flavour more than makes up for gargantuan potions.
As for the atmosphere, the decor is very simple. The wood floors and tables offer a cozy, perhaps even rustic feel, but the walls were white, and the booths sleek and modern.
The small restaurant had plenty of natural light and avoided a dark, dingy feel.

The server was available for any questions and was prompt, adding light humour without being intrusive.

All in all, I would highly recommend the Red Ox Inn for a special night out.

1 Thank CatWillows_13
Edmonton, AB
“Birthday dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

Had dinner here to celebrate my wife's birthday. Based on the menu posted on line, the food looked good, and the reviews on Tripadvisor were generally pretty good. I have to say that this was one of the better dining experiences I have ever had; the food, service, and surroundings were well worth the price. Our waiter was knowledgeable and friendly without being intrusive. We didn't have to wait long for our courses, and the food was hot when it arrived. The food itself was very tasty, and, contrary to some of the comments here, I did not find the portions to be too small. There was just enough food - for each of the appetizer, main, and dessert courses - any more would have been too much. The restaurant's location in a quiet neighborhood is also a pleasant change from a lot of places that are on a busy street or in a large shopping complex. I did not find the restaurant too loud, although it was nowhere near full capacity. The background music was appropriate and not too loud. Overall, an excellent experience, and I look forward to going back.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank extradenticle
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

Had yet another fabulous mean at the Red Ox last night. I have to wonder whether some of the bad reviews on here are legitimate - I would give it 6 stars if I could.

First, the portion sizes are NOT small. I had the mac and cheese and my husband had the pork belly. Both were generous portions for an appetizer - so much so that we were barely able to finish our mains. My husband always has the pork belly and once again it did not disappoint. The mac and cheese was very interesting - spaetzle in a cheese sauce.

I had the beef tenderloin. It came with mushroom bread pudding and a vegetable. The only complaint I have was that I asked for it to be blue rare, and it was just rare. This is something I have encountered in other restaurants. I wonder if they overcook it because they do not believe that I mean it. While I prefer blue rare, I can eat it rare as well so did not send it back and I am not sorry about that. It was excellent.

My husband had the duck and it was fabulous too. They change this dish up every year or so. It was a creative dish - had a lavender glaze and also was spiced with cumin (the menu does not mention the cumin which I think is a mistake because it was quite unexpected). Again, the portion size was more than adequate.

We were too full for a full desert so the waitress kindly brought us two scoops of salted caramel ice cream at my request.

The wine list here is always excellent.

The meal came to just over $100 without wine and was very good value for the money. I highly recommend this place.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Pat Y
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Fantastic Food, Fine Dining with small portions leaving you hungry”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

I have dined at Red Ox Inn on more than one occasion and the food is always fantastic. The service is prompt and wait staff are knowledgeable. This restaurant requires reservations as there are only 10-12 tables. Last night we had 2 mac n' cheese appetizers and 2 beef tenderloin dinners and 2 coffees for $105. The food was amazing but we left Hungry. The mac n' cheese appetizer ($14) was no more than a cup of food and the beef tenderloin ($34) was 4 ounces (I kid you not). Most entrée range from $28-38. Although we love this restaurant we just cannot afford to spend good money and go home hungry. I suggest XIX as your next fine dining experience.

• Visited March 2014