“Excellent!”
Review of Red Ox Inn

Red Ox Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Ox Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #84 of 2,555 Restaurants in Edmonton
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 95 Ave.
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Had yet another fabulous mean at the Red Ox last night. I have to wonder whether some of the bad reviews on here are legitimate - I would give it 6 stars if I could.

First, the portion sizes are NOT small. I had the mac and cheese and my husband had the pork belly. Both were generous portions for an appetizer - so much so that we were barely able to finish our mains. My husband always has the pork belly and once again it did not disappoint. The mac and cheese was very interesting - spaetzle in a cheese sauce.

I had the beef tenderloin. It came with mushroom bread pudding and a vegetable. The only complaint I have was that I asked for it to be blue rare, and it was just rare. This is something I have encountered in other restaurants. I wonder if they overcook it because they do not believe that I mean it. While I prefer blue rare, I can eat it rare as well so did not send it back and I am not sorry about that. It was excellent.

My husband had the duck and it was fabulous too. They change this dish up every year or so. It was a creative dish - had a lavender glaze and also was spiced with cumin (the menu does not mention the cumin which I think is a mistake because it was quite unexpected). Again, the portion size was more than adequate.

We were too full for a full desert so the waitress kindly brought us two scoops of salted caramel ice cream at my request.

The wine list here is always excellent.

The meal came to just over $100 without wine and was very good value for the money. I highly recommend this place.

1  Thank Pat Y

Reviewed March 27, 2014

I have dined at Red Ox Inn on more than one occasion and the food is always fantastic. The service is prompt and wait staff are knowledgeable. This restaurant requires reservations as there are only 10-12 tables. Last night we had 2 mac n' cheese appetizers and 2 beef tenderloin dinners and 2 coffees for $105. The food was amazing but we left Hungry. The mac n' cheese appetizer ($14) was no more than a cup of food and the beef tenderloin ($34) was 4 ounces (I kid you not). Most entrée range from $28-38. Although we love this restaurant we just cannot afford to spend good money and go home hungry. I suggest XIX as your next fine dining experience.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

The Red Ox Inn has been on our list for some time and finally we were able to go there. Contrary to their reputation of excellence, we were unfortunately left underwhelmed. As others have noted, the acoustics were terrible and we found ourselves at times shouting to each other to be heard over the noise from the other tables. We shared the pork belly appetizer. While the pork meat was tender and tasty, the fat was a gelatinous blob and the brussell sprouts tasted like, well, brussell sprouts. Also as a previous reviewer has noted, the portion size was on the minuscule size. The duck entree, while also of a small portion, fortunately was prepared very nicely, perfectly cooked medium rare. The vegetables were good quality but relatively uninspired. The black cod, the special of the evening was another storey. It was undercooked and "fishy" in flavour and, for us, inedible. The waitress offered to have the fish cooked more but this was a bit later and really a ridiculous offer...half your dish refried. And as far as we could tell the lobster veloute was indiscernible. However, the sides of couscous and mushrooms were exceptional. Given the price, the noise level, the inconsistent cuisine, some of which we could not even eat, we could not recommend this restaurant, and certainly there are many far better options in Edmonton.

1  Thank KenDebra
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Excellent food, excellent presentation, excellent service. Wonderful for friends or intimate dinners. Reservations are a must. A small quaint restaurant in an "out of the way" location. One of my favorites.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Set in a modest strip mall in a residential area, this is truly a dining 'experience.' You'll be coming to a quiet, intimate setting with only a few tables - so make sure to make reservations well in advance if you're hoping to be there on a particular evening. And then, be prepared for a leisurely evening of good food with lots of time for visiting with your dinner companion(s)! The food is consistently excellent and also interesting - the menu is creative and changes from time to time. This restaurant is my go-to place for a gift certificate or dinner when I need something extraordinary.