“anniversary dinner”
Review of Red Ox Inn

Red Ox Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Ox Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #65 of 2,416 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Canadian, International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 95 Ave.
Paraparaumu, New Zealand
“anniversary dinner”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is a very small, slightly hard to find place. The food was excellent but the ambience was not great for a romantic anniversary dinner. The tables are very close together and for most of our meal we were treated to our neighbour's loud dissertation on his high-flying financial deals. For this type of dinner we would pick somewhere else next time.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank OomooAba

Edmonton, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful meal, excellent service”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I visited the Red Ox Inn for our anniversary. We had an excellent meal. Everything we ate from appetizers to dessert was exceptional. Our Maitre d'/ server was wonderful and made some excellent recommendations. The dessert that my husband ordered was sold out for the evening, and so the chef made something special for him instead! It was a delightful pumpkin pie spiced cheesecake type thing and it was amazing. We were so happy with the meal that we asked our server to pick what drinks he thought would go best with our dessert, and again, we weren't disappointed, we were delighted! From beginning to end this was a fantastic meal. We had a later reservation (8:30), so I did not find the restaurant to be too noisy, it seemed that we had hit the wind down of the evening. I look forward to returning!

• Visited September 2012
Peace River, Alberta, Canada
“Best place I've eaten in Edmonton!”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I ate at the Red Ox Inn for the second time last week. It's been almost a year since our last visit but nothing has changed - and that's a good thing. It's a small restaurant that allows two servers to team serve.

It's a nice intimate setting that starts out real quiet and subdued at the beginning of your meal and ends up a bit louder and relaxed and food and wine start flowing.

The menu is small but there is plenty of variety so I feel like everyone would be able to find something. The descriptions seemed intimidating at our first visit but I've learned that EVERYTHING tastes so good so don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone.

I had the salmon appetizer and the pasta entree while my husband had the beef tartar (?) and lamb. He has had the beef before and loved it (he says it's the best he's ever had). The lamb was wonderful. I loved that there wasn't a lot of seasoning (which is normally used to compliment the gamey taste) but the lamb wasn't really gamey so it didn't need it. I'll admit that the smoked salmon and caviar was a big step out of my comfort zone. I didn't love it but it was a texture thing, not a taste thing. The pasta was fantastic. So rich and flavorful. Dessert was a cherry and rhubarb tart (the rhubarb came from one of our server's gardens! Now that's local!).

For us, Red Ox is a must visit every time we are in Edmonton. I love this place!!

• Visited July 2013
Peachland, Canada
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 33rd wedding anniversary at Red Ox Inn. We were visiting from out of town and wanted somewhere unique to go. Well, we found it!! When we walked in, it was very disappointing, as we were expecting romantic. Instead the tables were very close together and not very private. BUT, the food and wine list was amazing. The staff was very friendly. By the end of the evening we had met a very nice couple, celebrating their 5th anniversary and all in all a pleasant evening. The food WAS AMAZING!! My husband had the salmon appetizer ( he loved it) and I had the beet salad. The beets are smoked, fresh tarragon, and goat cheese. For dinner my husband had the lamb (done perfectly), I had the duck. The flavors the chef brings out in these dishes is surprising and wonderful to the taste buds. The fresh herbs he uses give you "happy mouth". Dinner and a bottle of wine for two was $185. A little "spendy", but well worth the experience. We hope to be back for our 34th!!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank norma1955
New York City, New York
“One of the best in Edmonton -- a gem!”
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Great quality food creatively prepared. Outstanding service in a relaxed atmosphere -- not overly formal or stuffy. Nice wine list as well.

• Visited June 2013