“Just OK....”
Review of Red Ox Inn

Red Ox Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Ox Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #91 of 2,555 Restaurants in Edmonton
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 95 Ave.
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have read many good reviews, maybe I was there on an off day, but to me it was just OK. The place is small and I felt cramped. Very crowded. Not a very romantic spot. The food was fine, but the presentation left much to be desired. Our plates looked rushed and thrown together.

On the bright side, the our server was marvelous, their wine selection is excellent and I still fantasize about the bacon jam with my lamb course. But overall I left feeling very underwhelmed. Maybe I had too high an expectation based on what I've heard about the place. I would be willing to try it again in the future.

1  Thank BrWayne

Reviewed April 11, 2013

The food was incredible - inspired, tasty and beautifully presented. The atmosphere is nice, the servers are great, the location is unique. But the food is amazing. It is different every time we come, but always so good. The portions are just the right size to leave you full but not stuffed. We tried the pork belly and the beet salad for appetizers and really enjoyed them, and the pasta (tortellini) and lamb dishes were also incredible. I like that thought and attention are also given to the accompaniments - which are lovely as well. We tried a few desserts, which were all good, but less outstanding than the mains. The bill at the end was a little shocking - it sure added up fast. But it was a lovely, tasty evening out.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

There's is something about nice restaurants in Edmonton; they are not outwardly fancy, patrons are almost always moderately dressed, and the experience and the food leaves you feeling that much better about quality of life. Red Ox Inn is one of those places. Yes, it is yummy. Staff have worked there for years, the wine menu us very good, and the creativity of the dishes pleasing. Go spend an evening, take your time, enjoy the conversation, and leave having added some loveliness to your day. We enjoyed the sweetbreads, duck, and lamb. Next time we'll try the beet, and pork belly.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Back for Visit 2. Tonight, it's real bay scallops, only 2, wrapped in crisp veggie/'tater threads -- with hot rich cream of cauliflower potion poured over the herbed scallops. Such subtle spicings, such fresh scallops: we almost wept. One ordered pork loin, local, lean, huge, in local bacon, roasted and finished on the barbecue. Two ordered Alaskan Black Cod. Belgian paving block big cube cooked to the right firmness w/o any loss of delicate, moist fishitude. A teeny pile of root veggies, a green salsa: a seafoodie's picnic. My Shiraz was a surprisingly complex California. Desserts next: a chocolate cake like a pudding but less sweet and much creamier; and a lemon parfait like a chubby, fruity airy taste-cloud. That's 2. There were 3. My "dark gingerbread was dry sponge-tough, and its fellow, eggnog ice cream was the size of 3 Hershey Kisses. There, I said it, something negative about our top-notch, unforgettable meal. But I forgot, wonderful coffee. 98% this time, 100% last. I am planning Visit 3 (Ox is NOT for big-meal-fans, just big-taste-mavens.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

My husband and I took some friends to Red Ox recently and it was outstanding. I tried the new pork belly for an appetizer and it was incredibly tasty. I didn't think it was possible to beat the old pork belly, but they did it. I tried the new short rib dish for my entree and it was fabulous. I can't wait until I can go back and have it again. My husband and our friends also really enjoyed their meals. The service was top notch and the restaurant is cozy and welcoming. When we come here, we feel like we are coming home! Book early for a weekend reservation.

1  Thank Indiagreengirl