“Food was great - server was indifferent”
Review of Mikado

Mikado
Reserve with OpenTable
Mikado is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #135 of 2,556 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 98 street
Transit: bus route 59 and 74
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The food was very good. Our server was indifferent, was more interested in visiting than serving us.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I wasn't blown away by this restaurant, prices all right services wasn't that great didn't clear any of my done dishes until I pd. lots of other restaurants out there.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife and I have traveled a lot through Japan and are always keen to try out Japanese restaurants. We were shopping at Ikea and I remembered that the Mikado was in South Edmonton Common, so we thought we'd try it out and we were pleasantly surprised. Although the location is awful (a strip mall in the maze of South Edmonton Common) and there was some 'interesting' clientele seated in the restaurant, the food is pretty good. We have a few 'tapas', including edamame, BBQ asparagus and spicy meatballs, to begin with. The edamame were a bit too firm and needed a lot more salt, but I've had worse. The asparagus was pretty good and the meatballs excellent. The miso soup is also pretty good quality. I've read some of the complaints on TripAdvisor about the sushi at the Mikado being 'generic'. Most sushi restaurants in North America offer the same selection, so this comment is pretty meaningless. We had the deluxe assorted sushi and it was pretty good. The rice was properly cooked and held together well. The fish was of good (not great) quality, but the seafood (e.g., surf clam, prawn, scallop) as excellent. At least they did have wasabi between the fish and rice and the extra wasabi on the plate was not the typical green powdery stuff you get at other restaurants. My only complaint is that the service could have been better. Other than that, it's worth a stop if you're in the area.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

The assortment of sake has been reduced but the fish is always excellent. The Hamachi collar and Alaskan Black cod are my favorites. The oysters are excellent but phone first to reserve a dozen! :)

Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I stop here everytime we visit Edmonton. The food is always fresh and tastes great. We have tried just about everything on the menu. Our favorites are still the Spider roll and the California Roll. The Bento boxes are great for someone wanting to try a little of everything. Atmosphere is busy but not so much that you can't have a conversation between yourselves.

1  Thank EthelBO