“Lovely Japanese setting for delicious Japanese food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kyoto
Ranked #929 of 2,376 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Manchester
“Lovely Japanese setting for delicious Japanese food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

Great Japanese restaurant offering all kinds of Japanese delicacies. The waitresses shuffle along the tatami mats in full kimonos whilst sushi chefs ply their trade on the other side of the counter (full of creatures from the deep). The staff were all very friendly and the menu was easy to understand with lots of choices (bento boxes, sushi, tempura, the works). I was tempted by the more exotic choices like tako (octopus) and unagi (eel) which were delicious. After three courses, it wasn’t as expensive as I thought considering how expensive Japanese restaurants can be.

• Visited July 2011

Canada
“Unsanitary chef!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2011

I went to the Kyoto on 109 Street and the chef sneezed (she covered her mouth with her hand) and then continued making food! I was disgusted and told the server I wanted my money back and why. The server looked horrified, promptly returned my money, and went to get the manager. The manager came and thanked me for my concern and said that she would talk to the chef. Who knows if she did, but it's too late for me; I will never go back.

Visited March 2011
Edmonton
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Sushi for Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

Love the miso soup!
Quick for lunch time. Plenty of seating, never much of a wait time.
Amazing spicy tuna cone!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Edmonton, Alberta
“If you like a Chinese not Japanese restaurant, this is for you.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

Look. if you're not Japanese, Asian, and want to open up a Japanese restaurant, please don't just buy a cook book and think that's all you need. Japanese food is an art and presentation and quality come before money. The food is fast food, rushed and poor quality. The sushi is questionable with a gamey taste, not fresh and cheep quality with top prices. The servers have no Japanese polite etiquette and have no cultural background or knowledge of Japanese culture, nor do they care. To a person who knows and appreciates the Japanese culture, food and professionalism, this is a terrible offensive place. If you like Chinese buffet and feel rushed out of the restaurant with a stomach ache, then this place is for you.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“We love this place!!! We used to live in Edmonton and every time we are back in town we make sure we go to Kyoto! My...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

We love this place!!! We used to live in Edmonton and every time we are back in town we make sure we go to Kyoto! My husband loves the beef tataki (not sure how to spell it). Excellent sushi, wonderful presentation, and courtious staff. The only thing is to try and find parking it their parking lot :)

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook