“Third time not exactly a charm.”
Review of JOEY Jasper - CLOSED

JOEY Jasper
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Oliver
Description: JOEY Jasper is the place to be in Downtown Edmonton. City vibe, casual vibe, great food and drink vibe.
Reviewed July 5, 2012

First, Joey's Tomatoes is no more. They've become part of a chain of restaurants called Joey Restaurant. They serve contemporary food in a casual fine dining atmosphere. Tonight was the third time I came as a customer in a couple months. Each time I found the food to be delicious, well presented and well prepared. The only problem was the service. They do alright but there aren't enough servers to deal with the many customers that fill the restaurant. I also noticed service at other tables seemed inexperienced. They seem to have been hired based on other criteria with effectiveness being secondary.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

It's been a while since I stopped into this Joey's, so tonight a friend and I decided to stop in for a quick look. We were greeted by the hostess and told that last call was 12:45am (It was 12:30am at this time). As room was still full, we figured one drink at the bar before continuing on our way was a good idea. After a number of minutes and a furtive look a full minute prior to her coming over we are approached to be served by a Bartender. Her first words were "Last call is at 12:45" which we agreed with pleasantly as we'd just heard those same words minutes prior. Her next utterance was "What do you want?" which she unabashedly acknowledged was what she had said when I incredulously questioned her thinking I'd misheard. The water and one drink were delivered without another word, a bill was dropped off minutes later and then she became completely unavailable to take our payment.
Model-wannabe's tending bar should still have a shred of customer service, but evidently not at Joey's Downtown.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

i love their tuna tacos and calamari under the appetizers, drinks are good but long waits (just like every restaurant in edmonton)

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Okay I use to like this place but last week when I went here with friends I am not likely to go back. I was annoyed that the girls all wear the tiniest black dresses and the fact it took so long to even get a drink after we were seated. Food was good though.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

I often see people here on the patio, especially on a Friday afternoon, enjoy a beverage and looking cool. The Friday I arrived, it was close to 1:30 and the patio was full but I prefer to eat inside in the dining room. Since I hadn't been here for years, I wasn't sure of the food quality. There's great variety of salads, sandwiches, burgers, and pastas on the menu.

After reading a few reviews, I decided on the chicken souvlaki with yam fries for an extra $1.50. The food didn't take too long and I was happy with my choice. The yam fries were served in a little bowl with mayo and the souvlaki wrapped in a pita in paper to protect you from getting juice on your clothes. I didn't realize how big the pita was until it seemed like there were never-ending bites. The chicken was flavourful and I like onions so I didn't mind them at all. Good meal for just under $15.

The hostesses and servers were pleasant with their lovely smiles and efficient in their jobs. The dining room wasn't very busy which I preferred. Not sure I would like it if the restaurant was buzzing with people doing 'business' or talking on their phones as if they were.