“Dependable restaurant”
Review of Characters

Characters
Reserve with OpenTable
Characters is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #203 of 2,559 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Restaurants come and go. The good ones last for years. Characters Fine Dining has been at the heart of Edmonton's downtown restaurant scene for over 15 years.The seasonal menu allows not only for the freshest produce to be served but also for owner, Chef Shonn to take the diners' experience to the next level by exposing their taste buds to contemporary dishes inspired by his extensive training in European, Asian and continental Canadian Cuisine. Located in a restored warehouse on 105th street, the simple elegance of the dining room is resonated by the copper finishing, brick walls and wood beams.
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I have gone for lots of meals here, both in large groups and as a couple. The food is uniformly good and well presented. It has a variety of private rooms for functions or meetings.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is a lovely room and the service was okay. Had the lobster risotto from the lunch menu, which arrived lukewarm and largely flavourless, in great need of salt. (Chefs: please taste your food!) There was plenty of lobster in the dish, most of which was overcooked and rubbery. I had to go to great effort just to cut into most of the pieces! In any other situation, I would have sent it back, but I was being treated to lunch by a colleague and didn't wish to call attention to the quality of the food. I left most of the lobster on the plate and tried to camoflauge it with the dill garnish. This level of quality should be downright embarrassing to an establishment in this price range. The place has fantastic ambience, but you can't eat the decor. I wonder if Characters will survive. There are quite a few fine-dining competitors in Edmonton, so why would anyone bother if they can't be guaranteed a good bite of something simple like risotto?

1  Thank Tessa W
Reviewed August 27, 2012

The ambiance is warm and inviting as you walk up a small flight of stairs in the main dining room.

White table linens greet you as you sit at your table.

Our excellent professional waiter directed my husband and I to an Oregon pinot noir which we thoroughly enjoyed with our dinner.

I had the beef tenderloin tartare as an appetizer, served with a lovely dark Russian style rye slices. This reminded me why I can only limit meat intake, but never, ever give it up. For my entree I had the Hawaiian ahi tuna, seared to perfection. I realized with my choices that I certainly enjoy my food on the raw side, and the wonderful Chef served it to perfection.

Our waiter advised that although the Chef is a master with entree creations, he is best known for his dessert fare. Given our recent family discussions about camping and my intense dislike of it, we chose the whimsical "s'mores for two", which is exactly that.

A little cast iron pot was brought to our table with wood chips inside and lit before us. Skewered marshmallows, graham crackers, and shaved chocolate served on fine white china are provided so that you may relive childhood memories in an oh so grown up environment. Decadently silly.

I look forward to returning and trying an actual chef dessert creation.

This restaurant is pricey ($200 plus with alcohol for two easily). If you want true decadence this restaurant serves the world's most expensive marbled pork (akin to Kobe beef as advised by our waiter). This restaurant also owns one of 26 bottles issued of the rarest Glenfiddich, or the rarest bottle of Scotch, worth $22,000.

At $1500 a shot, your wallet must be a lot bigger than mine. Apparently 16 people have paid the fee to share their potion with the angels over the past 10 years when Characters acquired the bottle.

Highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

This is one of Edmonton's top restaurants. In the capable hands of proprietor Shaun and his staff, your evening will be a memorable experience. Excellent fusion menus and a good selection of wines. This is modern Albertan cuisine at its best.
The service is impeccable and the atmosphere sophisticated but warm and welcoming. Strongly recommended for a family party or a business meeting.

1  Thank RMORTON
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This restaurant is beautiful, i havnt been here since the renovations, wow great job, the food was outstanding as well, i still once again had the tuna dish which i love, the flavors are all working together, ratatouie a dish from the souce of france, balsamic from italy and tuna, its all mediteranian
its perfect