“Disappointing meal and poor service”
Review of Spago - CLOSED

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
st albert
“Disappointing meal and poor service”
Reviewed March 26, 2011

Our group (10) of diners (who enjoy good food, particularly seafood) were all disappointed with our meals. The Ribs and Quail were chewy, the Paela and fish dishes were overcooked and the Canneloni was mediocre. The restaurant was clean, the decor was pleasant and the menu read very well but the service was painfully slow, we could not get separate checks for each couple. An automatic 18% gratuity was added which would have been OK, if the service had been adequate. Sorry, but this is not a good choice if you want to come away thinking you had a nice meal and were treated well.

• Visited March 2011
2 Thank terrymcStAlbert

Edmonton, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed August 14, 2010

I've been to this restaurant a few times. It's location can be a bit troublesome but it's well worth the visit. I've been there when it's busy and quiet. They have a small number of front staff so you may have to wait a while when they're busy but if you're in good company then that won't matter.

The food is very tasty and well worth what you pay for it. My favourite dish by far is pork and clams. The dishes that I've had have been well prepared and delicious. I've never had a bad experience. The last time I was there, my friend ordered the seafood linguine (clams, scallops, baby shrimp) and she love, loved it! I think I'll try that next time.

The decor lacks a bit of punch but it's a very old building and I'm sure they're limited in what they can do with it (apparently it's a family owned and run restaurant)

I would recommend this restaurant to people that want to go out but don't want to go to a chain restaurant but don't want to go to a high brow restaurant either.

Edmonton, Alberta
“Customer never right”
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Ordered the Maria's special with seafood. The first clam I picked off the plate was filled with mud. Tried to eat the rest of the meal, but kept finding things to be gritty in my teeth. Was offered free dessert, but really I wasn't interested. The waitress was rude beyond belief, the supervisor came out and when I tried to explain my side she walked away in disgust. I have never been treated so poorly before and I feel I had a valid reason for not wanting to pay for my meal. I was told, it's expected that there will be some dirt in a seafood dish... ummm some dirt, this clam was chock full of mud. Was told we had to pay full price for our meal we refused. Was then told the best they could do was offer to take off half the price. Manager was not there and so they couldn't let us have a free meal... what meal, I never ate it. We waited politely for the manager to arrive and then 30 minutes later were promptly told by our rude waitress that "we could leave the premises".. now we are being kicked out and with no apology or explanation. Consider yourself fully warned. Tables are often left empty and it appears only close family members truly eat here. Food is overpriced and very simple. I believe seafood can be served well and not be gritty. I think this places attitude was unacceptable.

1 Thank emckoen
Edmonton, Canada
“Overpriced”
Reviewed April 6, 2010

We went for dinner and had wanted to visit this place for a few years. I thought it was very overpriced, too salty and I was given day old potatoes. I have been to Portugal and did not think it was all that similar. Kind of very simple food for the high price.

1 Thank dfuoco75
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good people & good food.”
Reviewed November 23, 2007