“A little faded, but meze still wonderful”
Review of Grub Med Greek Ristorante - CLOSED

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I had not been here in years but went for supper with friends recently. We were told we needed a reservation for Sunday night but it was not very busy. We shared the $35 meze meal and it was, as I remembered it to be, delicious, beautifully prepared, and there was lots left over for us to take home. Ample salad, pita, hummous, dolmathes, spanokopita, then the main dish of vegetables, Greek roasted potatoes, lamb and chicken. For dessert, we shared an apple-raisin tart with ice cream....warm and very nice.Tons of food! Our waiter was charming, funny, and attentive, and I think he was taking care of the whole place that night. More people came in as the evening went on (we had been early), but it was not very busy for a pre-Xmas evening. As someone else wrote, Grub Med has seen better days. It used to sport bright Mediterranean blue walls which made me think I was on a Greek patio, but now the walls are drab and dark and the decor is fairly tacky. It's out of the way location in a strip mall is probably not great but at least there's lots of free parking. I'm sorry to witness the decline of what was once an exciting spot to dine....but the food we had the other night was still top-notch! My main complaint was the wine list - very restricted and unexciting, both red and wine..I settled for a Lorch as it was the best I could do...not great.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I had groupon at Grub Med Greek restaurant at $35 value, which i bought on September 1st. Reason why i bought it was for my husband's birthday dinner on December 6th. That same day before purchasing it I called the restaurant, talked to Felix (i guess it was a manager) and asked if they do reservations ahead for December otherwise i wouldn't buy it. He said that it's fine, took my name and phone number. And I bought a groupon.

I was calling the restaurant couple times starting from the end of November, but nobody would pick up the phone, so I left a message confirming my reservation. Finally, i was able to talk to somebody on December 5th and woman named Mira told me that they are having private party on December 6th and my reservation was cancelled!!!
I left my phone number and name and asked a manager to call me back, but nobody did! Do I need to express my disappointment with customer service?? I think it's more than obvious that they don't care about their reputation.

1  Thank agataEdmonton_Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We have been going to Grub Med for more than 25 years. Over the past few years we have seen a change in the food quality, ambiance and number of customers. Our last visit, a Friday night a week or so ago, should have seen the restaurant very busy. It was not. I counted 11 diners, including our party of 4. Not a good turnout for a Friday night. Lots of diners means lots of energy, conversation and laughter, that was all missing.
We found the food to be just OK, but in the end pricey. For what we paid, we could have had much better at one of 3 or 4 other great Greek restaurants in Edmonton. We found the wine list to be expensive and limited. The restaurant seems old and tired, lacking energy and generally past its prime.
I don't think we will be back, there are much better Greek restaurants to choose from in Edmonton.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Great atmosphere! Feel of Greece! Nice decor. Excellent and personable service. Love it there! Food is great too! Lol. We always order the Mezes as we love lamb

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Arrive 4pm on Sunday afternoon. There was only one server and it took about 15 miniutes to place our order. greek sald was bland with the dressing being just olive oil. We had hummus ($5.50) and pita bread ($2.95) which was very over priced considering how small the bowl of hummus was. Waited about 45 minutes for our "slow roast lamb" which turned out to be a overcooked lamb shank which tastless root vegatables. Also had the deep fried calamari which had an odour to it. It smelt like the oil they used to deep fried it in was old. the calamari was under done. left a lot of food on the table and the waiter was surprised we did not want a doggy bag to take it home. I have been to other greek resturants in the city and this is by far the worst. Would not ever go back.

1  Thank Fred154914