“From Downgraded to Upgraded and Wined and Dined: Yummy”

Edmonton Marriott at River Cree Resort
Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“From Downgraded to Upgraded and Wined and Dined: Yummy”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

At check-in, our reserved room's king-size bed morphed into... twin doubles. A phone to front desk got "We don't have a king. Sorry". After trying to spread my 6'3" bod across the narrow bed, I talked to the concierge in person. Voila, miracles happened. Now there was a special room with king available, and in a 5 minutes we were moved.

Just 2 minutes later we saw a blood stain, small but unmistakable, on the duvet cover. Called front again: "What's a duvet?" "It's a comforter". "OK", and in 5 minutes we had a new cover, and in 10 more a complimentary bottle of Merlot and a tray of cheeses and fine crackers. Darn, the potential negatives were outscored by the positives. Here are the winners: creative and helpful concierge, wonderfully courteous and kind household supervisor, terrific compensatory wine and snacks, quiet, clean, and roomy room, terrific bed, talking spacious elevators, ice rink, pool, rec area, silent HVAC (really rare!), fashionable lobby, sparkling clean rooms and windows, too,and a vista from the windows of 180 degrees of nature, new homes, and the city 25 km. distant. Smoke fills the huge casino and all 5 restaurants. I've eaten at 3 of them before, and despite casino smokers' haze, meals were fine. The air in our room(s) was pristine. We'll return, but we'll double-check at the desk before taking the keys.

Room Tip: The upper floors (6-9) have terrific views Basic rooms are not as large, nor are the baths as roomy...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager-Marriott, Manager at Edmonton Marriott at River Cree Resort, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear guest, Thank you for taking the time to respond on Trip Advisor regarding your stay. I/m sorry about any inconvenience you had regarding the room . I'm glad that they were able to find a king room for you. Hoping to see you in near future. Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Very friendly front desk staff, and helpful. The girl who checked me in was 'in training' and was a pro! The room itself is fine, nothing that stands out, so a comfortable hotel stay. Used the hot tub which was lovely. Casino is smokey, so wasn't a great spot for a conference to be held because you had no choice but to walk through smokey casino to get to the venue. I ate a few times at 'the kitchen' restaurant, fantastic service and staff, food was incredible one of the evenings and very good the next! Only thing is wish they had more salad options.
The hotel served its purpose, but if you are without a car, it's a long way to get to places like West Edmonton mall. (Oh, they do have a free shuttle, so if you are a planner, that's a bonus.) shuttle to the airport (40 min drive?) was $18. You need to book 3 hours ahead.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time respond regarding your stay on Trip Advisor. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay other than the location. I'm happy that you were able to take advantage of our free shuttle to West Edmonton Mall. Hoping to see you sometime in future.

edmonton, alberta
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I have stayed at the River Cree a couple times now and had average stays both times - nothing really wowed me but then nothing disappointed me either. Both times I stayed was for a conference, so I had a reduced rate but not really that good of a deal.

Most recently, I stayed here in September 2013 for one night. Check in was easy. It was nice to check in a little early as the conference I was in started at lunchtime and I was able to check in shortly thereafter. When booking, I requested a king room with a city view; when I checked in, they put in me in a room on the third floor (with a view of the parking lot rather than the city). After asking for a room on a higher floor, the front desk clerk was able to put me on the seventh floor but facing the countryside, which was fine by me. They also gave me a room at the far end of the hotel pretty much opposite end of the elevator: so the pro is that it's a quiet room, but the con is it's a good walk to and from the elevator.

My room was adequate albeit a little small. I guess this should be no surprise as newer built hotels are made with smaller rooms. Otherwise, the room was clean and fresh with great mini toiletries (I absolutely love the orange-ginger aromatherapy line from Bath & Bodyworks). I had a great sleep in the king size bed with ample pillows (I was staying solo).

I didn't check out the fitness room or the pool, but I did eat at Tap 25 (sports bar in the casino) while i was there. I attempted to order some sliders off their 'Cruiser' menu, only to be told that was for their 55+ guests - it didn't say or I did not see that that was a special menu, but I was thoroughly embarrassed in front of my dinner companions when i was told that. I have also tried out the Kitchen Bistro which is a buffet many other times, and I gotta say it's pretty decent food for not too much money.

My only pet peeve is the smell of the cigarettes from the smoking section of the casino. The conference took place in the meeting rooms which were behind the lobby and check in desk which was down the hall from the casino with the smoking section on the far end. The cigarette smoke sure came a long way and was still strong enough for me to notice outside the meeting rooms. I think they need a better system of clearing that air before circulating it to the rest of the hotel.

All in all, the stay was decent and expected from a newer hotel. Price-wise, it was not bad, but not good either. I think for a fun night at the casino or watching one of the many shows in their multiple venues, this is a great place to stay, but for a conference...not so much.

Room Tip: The cityview rooms are nice on one of the higher floors.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to respond in Trip Advisor regarding your stay. I apologize for any inconvenience you had regarding the menu confusion.. We are working towards to finding a solution for the smoke . Meanwhile if you are coming back to the area please do not hesitate to contact us directly. Regards,
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Great beds, Clean rooms, Friendly and super helpful staff, Starbucks in lobby, Good Food, a few minute drive to West Ed, lots of Free Parking, has celebrity live shows, you can watch rec hockey through the windows at the bar and has a Casino!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager-Marriott, Manager at Edmonton Marriott at River Cree Resort, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to give us feed back regarding your stay. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Hoping to see you some time in future.

Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I just spent two days at the Marriot River Cree Resort, the hotel is clean and comfortable, lots of free parking, located just a few miles away from West Edmonton Mall, the food served during the conference was excellent. On Friday night their restaurant serves a buffet sea food including crab legs, shrimp etc for $27.00, there is a great work out area with several tread mills three elliptical and 2 stationary bikes. there is a hot tub and swimming pool. There is free internet in the lobby but not in your room you have to pay another $15.95 a day. All in all a good stay for work or pleasure. There is a casino in the basement which they allow smoking you can smell the smoke in the lobby and the restaurant , something to consider if you don't like cigarette smoke.

Room Tip: rates are high $209 a night if government try to get the $159.00 a night rate. Higher rooms are bet...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to give us feed back regarding your stay. Glad to see that you enjoyed your stay & meeting. Looking forward to welcome you back when you are in town next time.

Edmonton AB
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Stayed here for a one night stay. It's not too far from West Ed, but only real worth staying if on meetings or you are there to gamble. Rooms are very small, but clean. Room service food is pretty good.

Whole hotel smells a bit like smoke due to the casino which is a bit annoying. Parking can be atrocious if the casino is busy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager-Marriott, Manager at Edmonton Marriott at River Cree Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to give us feed back regarding your stay. Apologize for any inconvenience you had regarding the parking . Parking lots are busy especially on weekends . We do have additional parking on the south side of the building if the front parking is full. Thank you for staying with us & we hope to see you sometime in future.
Calgary, AB, CANADA
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Great staff, great rooms. Though the property is great, it is a little remote from all the restaurants and other Edmonton sights, unless gambling is your thing. Staff are very friendly and acomodating, from the door man to the concierge lounge.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Manager-Marriott, Manager at Edmonton Marriott at River Cree Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you taking the time to give us feed back regarding your stay. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Hoping to see you soon.