“Clean, modern, roomy rooms”

Edmonton Marriott at River Cree Resort
Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Edmonton, Canada
“Clean, modern, roomy rooms”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Room was very clean, modern and bright. Front desk staff friendly upon arrival and checkout, The fire alarm went off late evening but all was taken care of within a half hour and staff were prompt to explain what to do, in this case it was to stay in rooms. Overall great stay!

Room Tip: higher level rooms have better viiews
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager-Marriott, Manager at Edmonton Marriott at River Cree Resort, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to give us feed back regarding your stay. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Looking forward for your next trip.

Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 26, 2013

If you are going to be travelling to Edmonton like I usually do, this hotel is the best place to stay. As you walk into this hotel you can see how they invest into care and quality. Being from the hotel industry in my past I tend to always check for things like how the washrooms look and how clean the lobby is as that's usually my first impression at a hotel. Marriott River Cree just blew me out of the water in my last couple visits. Not sure what cleaning chemicals they are using but for a hotel that allows smoking its very hard to find any debris or dust throughout the property. The Casino is also one of the main attractions but since I am not a gambler I cannot comment much. The hotel also has a open kitchen restaurant of Friday nights and serve an awesome seafood buffet that myself and my family really enjoyed. Not very often do you see a open kitchen as most restaurants don't want to show a how messy a kitchen turns out to be but this one looked great in appearance that even my little 7 year old said why is the silver part so shiny. So If you are in Edmonton and want a hotel that's good in every aspect check out Marriott River Cree Resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mark H
Manager-Marriott, Manager at Edmonton Marriott at River Cree Resort, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Mark, Thank you for taking the time to give us feed back on your stay. We are glad that you & family enjoyed your stay with us. Hotel itself is non smoking. There is a smoking section inside the casino. Will definitely share your feed back with the team. We do appreciate your business & looking forward for your next visit.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Been here a few times when I take my wife shopping in Edmonton or on business, have always found the front desk staff first class and very helpful, one complaint is the pool is ice cold, but so is the beer in the casino so it works out, really have become a huge fan if the Buffett and consider it better then most Vegas Buffett. The food at tap 25 is also good. The beds are very comfortable. Makes for a unique get away in Edmonton in which you can leave your car keys in the room and relax for a day or two.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Oildawg
Manager-Marriott, Manager at Edmonton Marriott at River Cree Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to respond in Trip advisor regarding your stay. We will definitely check out the temperature of the water in swimming pool. Please note that we are renovating our pool,exercise room & lobby this summer. Looking forward for your next visit.

Lloydminster, Canada
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I am really sad to have to write this review of the River Cree as it has always been one of my favorite places to stay in the Edmonton area

First thing the reader should know, for the best deal book online with Marriott. They will not honor the website deals if you ask about them at on the spot check in.

Here is what I encountered. First off, I was disappointed that they would not honor the deals I saw on the website. They just told me I should have booked ahead or I could go over to the phone in the lobby and book that way to get those deals. It was way too much hassle.

I got to my room and had one bath towel? This is a $200 a night hotel! The maid was nice enough to give me more.

The bed in my room was as hard as rock. I have seen more comfortable beds in Mexico.

When you leave the casino, you can not take alcohol to your room, Fair enough, no issues there. However when I walked by the waiting area by the elevators, about 10 people were sitting around drinking! I asked the front desk about this on check out and she said maybe they brought the drinks from their rooms!

I had two meals in the Tap house restaurant. The prime rib was cold but I was starving and did not send it back. The Rib eye was so tough and full of muscle that I could hardly cut it with a steak knife. When I mentioned this to the front desk she said the restaurant is separate from the hotel.

On Sat night on the floor I stayed on there was constant banging on doors all night. How did these people get to the 4th floor without cards? You need cards to operate the elevator up or down. When I mentioned this to the front desk she said they have security patrolling the halls.

After all of this, they gave me $50 back on my two night stay.

I like the hotel because it is close to the mall, the parking is free, and they have a nice pool and whirlpool and of course the casino.

I don't think I will stay at the River Cree again because of these issues. :(

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank RodeoFoto
Manager-Marriott, Manager at Edmonton Marriott at River Cree Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to give us the feed back on Tripadvisor. I apologize for any inconvenience . Please contact me directly at 780-930-2603 at your convenience.
Canada
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a conference. I expected more considering tue Mariott brand is supposed to be a bit above average than other hotel chains.

The hotel air is smelled like fabreeze losing its battle with cigarette smoke. It was headache-inducing at first until my body got used to it.

The rooms were spacious and clean, however dated. The supplied toiletries were basic and an empty fridge oddly sat on the floor without much purpose.

My room has a very nice view of he city skyline. It also highlighted how far the resort was from the city centre. While there was a free shuttle to West Edmonton Mall, It was a 30 dollar cab ride to Whyte avenue, a trendy shoppng area in the city.

When a hotel is called a resort, I assume there would be a spa. There was not. The gym and pool were well equipt.

The casino itself was similar to many others I visited. I am not used to much cigarette smoke so I heeded the urge to stay away from he casino to avoid smellng like an ashtray.

My experience was neither negative nor memorable.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear guest,Thank you for sharing your feed back with us . We appreciate this. Will definitely share the feed back with our team. We are doing renovations in our lobby,swimming pool & exercise room this summer .Regards,
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My partner attended a CACEE (Canadian Association of Career Educators and Employers), convention at this hotel. The room was great , the complex has three restaurants and a large casino. The staff were all terrific and seemed genuinely happy to work at that location and all provided great service. There is a rink and the casino is attached to the complex. Somewhat away from the city of Edmonton but there is a regular free shuttle service to and from the incredible shopping at the West Edmonton Mall. There is a charge for internet access in the rooms but free in the lobby and restaurants. I always talk to the staff to see what the work experience is like for them and I was impressed by what I heard.

Room Tip: We were a little surprised to see that smoking was still allowed in part of the casino? Hard to con...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Manager-Marriott, Manager at Edmonton Marriott at River Cree Resort, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Wayne, Thank you for taking your time to share your feed back about us on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you both enjoyed your stay with us. Hoping that you will return to Edmonton sometime in future. Regards,
Puyallup, Washington
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I was on a personal trip for the weekend visiting friends. Never stayed here before but these folks really take care of you. Rooms were great and modern, fitness center was fine for a hotel gym. Its got a casino attached to it so if you have time to kill that is one of the selling points but for me I was just staying at the hotel. Food was great at the bar/restaurants for late night food. I had a issue with my bill but Maria and Jalena(?) took care of it on the spot after they did there researching. The people were great and professional. If I ever come back to Edmonton I will definitely stay at the Marriott. It is on the outskirts of town but its a quick drive down the freeway into the edmonton area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Manager-Marriott, Manager at Edmonton Marriott at River Cree Resort, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Guest, We appreciate your time in giving us a positive feed back on Trip Advisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully we will be able to host your stay in the near future.