“weekend with the wife”

Edmonton Marriott at River Cree Resort
Ranked #37 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed March 18, 2013

It was blizzarding upon arrival and it was dark out and we had a little trouble finding where to check in,but we were helped by a doorman at the arival destination and he was very friendly and informative.the smiling lady at the arrival desk was very pleasant and we were on our way up to our room in no time,after parking the car across the road.
we got in our room, a little small with a dresser,with tv on top,a king bed,settee and end tables and a tiny bathroom as in a super 8,and a miny fridge on the floor and got settled in and decided to stay in the room as it was getting late and watch tv,the wife had her Ipad and wanted to play her bingo game but could not get hooked up so she phoned down to get the password and it turns out you have to pay another $15.95 per day for this service,on top of the $189.95 plus taxes of $17.21,I said they had rocks in thier head so they gave us the first night free.
In the room there was coffee we could make one cup at a time, but was the worst swill I have had in recent history and the brand was Starbucks so we decided to go down for breakfast.
The room had a breakfast smorg promo (the online ad said $25.00 value but the menu sad $16.95 ,so in the morning we went down around 8:30 and did not have a big lineup se we ordered our beverages and went up to see what they had, some small cereal bowls of fruit and sparse cold cuts(3 choises)3 pieces of cheese per kind(3),kind of shriveled.
The hot food were browned potatoes and a corned beef hash, there was a chef making omlets,then back bacon in water,(yuk),crisp side bacon and sausage.
Back at the table we sat down to a slightly better cup of coffee,still starbucks,(I find Starbucks is over roasted and taste burned and bitter,I buy Nabob Columbian and has a pleasant smell and taste). We made our own toast.

The waiter was very attentive and came back several times to check on us and take away our plates. The food was very good.
In the evening we decided to checkout the Casino. My wife walked in and sat down at a slot machine, put in $20 and got back $132 first push,pretty good! We walked around a bit hoping for some music but there wasn't any,just lots of people smoking,we don't. So back to the room for more tv.
The second morning we had a better Idea of how every thing worked,except the coffee in the room,I experimented but could not get the coffee to taste better then swamp water,so back to the restraunt, and we got our food quicker and got to eat it while it was still all warm.
Check out went smooth ,had to dig the car out of a snowbank,snowed 4 inches that night,loaded up and headed for more shopping before heading home.

All in all it was an OK stay but not memerable so would likely stay somewhere else next time

Room Tip: there are no GOOD views

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife and I were impressed with the hotel although the location was not very ideal as it was not centrally located. Nevertheless, we can rely on the excellent service provided by the front desk staff as well as friendly housekeeping staff who greeted us when we were getting to our room. Another Marriott dependability which we can count on is getting a very good sleep - the beds are very comfortable and same anywhere in the Marriott chain! Before staying in this hotel again we will try the downtown location first.

Room Tip: Call in ahead of time to request for a room away from the elevator shaft; the higher the room number...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have used this for business and also for personal celebrations. For a business event this hotel is amazing the service is outstanding. The food is great and the red coat extra service can not be beat. The service even as a evening out is fantastic. Crystal is our business contact and again I can not say enough about the attentiveness and concern that both the food and service is exceptional is maintained throughout the hotel. The rooms are good but with the casino attached and entertainment and three different eating places at least you do not have to leave. But if you want to the hotel provides a shuttle to west Edmonton mall. I would like to mention Denham provides excellent service as a red coat but also works at the sage restaurant. He is dedicated to providing exceptional service levels. For a night away from the kids or just to have a fun evening even if you live in town. This hotel is very good.

Room Tip: You can get a city view on one side and a country like view on the other.
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Marriott is a favourite hotel brand, and I was looking forward to staying at the hotel for a conference. Booking agent - excellent and helpful; Requests from front desk - terrific and friendly. Housekeeping - always welcoming and smiling. Banquets - yikes!! Surly staff! Marriott - your brand has an infection in this department!

One compliment I am pleased to offer in banquets is how the kitchen prepared beautiful, fresh and delicious alternatives for my dairy free meal requests; very pleased.

I also lost a cherished leather portfolio, but did not feel that the staff had a good common policy on how to handle lost and found. I was required to talk to three different departments (including the casino - which I appreciate is not part of the Marriott); sadly it was not found or returned.

This hotel does have a convenient complimentary shuttle to the West Edmonton Mall, but is quite a distance from the airport. I recommend the airport shuttle, as a cost-effective means of transportation.

Casino - for those that enjoy this pastime - seemed well pointed and much enjoyed by patrons.

As always - opportunities always abound, and I leave this review on a positive note - the bedrooms are spacious, clean and comfy - great sleep!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 11, 2013

All aspects of are stay were excellent. Helpfull and freindly staff throughout. Food was great, rooms clean and very comfortable beds.When we checked out there was a guest that barely spoke english and he was refusing to pay the tax on his bill. He was abnoxious and very loud, the staff member was incredibly patient and remained professional in a very difficult situation.
If you are visiting Edmonton it is a little out of the way but is a good value and great place to stay.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed recently for business. It's a bit away from city center, but very nice hotel and the rooms are spacious. It's connected to a casino, and the sports bar was nice and has a hockey rink so you can watch hockey practice. The nice restaurant in the casino, Sage, was a great meal and great wine. I will definitely stay there again.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My first time at this hotel as I had a conference at WEM and could not get a room there. Checked other hotels in the area and for the price I thought I would try this hotel out. I don't know what I was expecting, but what a great place. The staff at the front desk were very accommodating and friendly, and I found all employees that I came across were friendly and polite. The buffet breakfast both mornings exceeded my expectations, lots of variety, fresh fruit, omelette made for you. The rooms were nice, big screen tv, comfortable beds; first hotel in many years where the bathroom tiles were properly installed, no cracks, no caulking was missing. Will definitely stay here again when I have to stay in Edmonton for a conference on the west side of Edmonton, very easy to get to WEM from here.

Room Tip: As previously stated by others, if you want a view of the city get a room on south side.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business