“Clean, clean, clean...” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Joussard, Alberta
“Clean, clean, clean...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

We usually stay at either the Hilton or Hampton while the Marriott is usually our last choice as I have always felt the quality to be the same as the others but for a lot more money. This time we got a great deal via the inet so stayed there and were pleasantly reminded why the cost level is where it is. The room was immaculately cleaned (believe me- I am a neat freak to the extreme) and the service second to none. One note- I would request a room away from the elevators next time as it is more noisy at that location (understandably).
This is a review for the hotel only. The only restaurant we patronized was the Tap 25 sports bar and although it is a no smoking establishment, we came away smelling so much like smoke I needed a shower prior to retiring for bed. We are not big gamblers but the casino was so smoky we did not even try any games. We will definitely eat elsewhere (maybe the buffet or Sage at the resort) the next time we stay there.
Any questions, just email me.

Room Tip: Get the highest floor available (there are 9).
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joussardines

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Concord,MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

First a disclosure- my travel agent booked me here telling me that there was a shuttle to the airport. Wrong about that- there is a shuttle to some sort of Super Mall- the hotel is actually a good 30 minute drive from the airport- otherwise I would probably not have stayed here- but rather downtown.

That is not the property's fault...but mine (or my travel agent)! The hotel could have been plunked down from any one of Marriott's US properties. Well designed- better than average workout facility- prompt check in service- nice room clean and appointed in typical Marriott style. The wired internet connection did not seem to work and I relied on WIFI which at times was slow.

The health clun had three very nice Life Cycle ellipticals and three or four treadmills- a small (but adequate) universal gym, dumbells, floor mats and workout (medicine balls)>

I did not go into the casino that adjoins (not being a gambler I consider gambling & Lotteries a tax on stupidity)...so I cannot comment on that.

All in all a nice middle of the road Marriott-

Room Tip: BE sure to ask for a never been smoked in room
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank HPM1984
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

My husband and I had a quick trip to Edmonton on business and booked this Marriott as a part of a package deal for our travel. Overall, this hotel has FAR more positives than negatives, and really was a fabulous experience. Should we travel to Edmonton again, we would not hesitate to stay here.

The rooms are clean, decently sized and have decent amenities - our King room had a flat screen tv, mini refrigerator, Bath and Body Works products in the restroom as well as other small details. A safe can be provided upon request.

As the hotel is connected to the casino, you are merely an elevator ride away from several dining options - a buffet (not your usual dirty buffet; this is a sit-down, inviting but modestly formal restaurant that is also the source for room service), the Sage (a formal restaurant with great ambiance), a sports bar and a Starbucks. The casino and hotel are both kept very clean and smooth-running; we never heard other guests when in our room.

Highlight to note: Incredible staff. Helpful, friendly, geniunely kind and quick to be of service. A+ on the staff.

Things to be aware of: Internet is $16.95 a night, which is a little ridiculous. However, there is free WiFi if down in the lobby, and a business center to use as well. Restaurant prices can run a little steep, but we thoroughly enjoyed the food and felt it was worth what we paid for.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Couple_Connoisseurs
Stettler, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

I expected less as the hotel is connected to the casino, however I was wrong. From when I walked in for the first time to check in, until I left 3 days later, I found all the staff friendly and helpful no mater what the question or concern. The restaurants were very nice, the food was good, I even tried room service and was surprised at how good the service and meal was.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank StarrandLanora
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

I used to stay at this hotel about a 5 days a month when I had business in Edmonton and always loved it. It my new position I no longer go to Edmonton every month, but instead to Toronto 2 weeks a month. The Edmonton River Cree is a night and day difference between any of the Marriotts Ive stayed at in Toronto (or across Canada for that matter). I was recently back at the River Cree and realized how much I missed the facility, the people, the excellent service and the attention to detail. Congrats to all of the staff, from the concierge lounge, to the front desk, to the cleaning staff - you continue to differentiate yourself from all others. Well done - Laudersmith

Room Tip: 9th Floor is the Top Floor & has the Concierge lounge.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lauder_Calgary
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

I stayed here for four nights on business. I was extremely impressed by the cleanliness of the hotel and my room. The carpets, linens, walls, shower curtain, etc. were pristine. I noticed that other reviewers had commented on the smell of cigarette smoke in the hotel, but I could not smell anything until I entered the casino.

All of the meals served by the conference services were excellent; some of the best quality conference food I've ever had. I also ate once at the buffet, and once from the a la carte menu, and I thought the quality was quite good for the price.

I thought that the gym was very clean, modern and well equipped with cardio machines and free weights. The pool was on the smaller side, but also clean and big enough to do some laps if you're alone.

Probably one of the best perks is the free shuttle service that runs every half hour to West Edmonton Mall. This hotel is really in the middle of nowhere, so if you are here for several days, and not a gambler, you will be looking to get out... and the mall is really the only major attraction nearby. Parking is also free which is nice, as is wi-fi in the lobby. In-room wi-fi is around $15/day I believe, which I found a bit unreasonable. I did appreciate that they had a computer and printer in the lobby so that you can check-in and print your boarding pass before heading to the airport.

Overall, good hotel, good service, good food... but pretty isolated.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank TropicalMeg
alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

This hotel was great. The rooms were clean and comfortable with lots of amenities. The hotel itself is attached to a casino, show room and ice skating facility. We went here for our staff Christmas party and had dinner, drinks and enjoyed the casino. For dinner we went to the buffet restaurant which I found a bit expensive for the level of food that was available. The restaurant was very busy and although the staff was pleasant, the service wasn't fabulous. I spoke to other patrons who had gone to the steak house and they gave it rave reviews.
The casino does allow smoking which bothered some of our party who are non smokers.
Overall, I found the staff extremely helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends