Whitemud Equine Learning Centre Association
Ranked #71 of 191 things to do in Edmonton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Whitemud Equine center has a well kept facility. I have not been there often, but I had heard pretty decent things myself about it. However, a girl my age moved to my current boarding facility and I began to question the lesson program there. She told me she had been riding English there for seven years in their lesson program. My coach told me to help her tack up because she didn't know how. Or rather, she had been taught but taught incorrectly. When she got on the horse, I thought that maybe I had misheard her about the seven years. With seven years of riding this girl should at least know leads, diagonals, sustained canter, contact with bit, etc. It was like she was a beginner rider. Perhaps she wasn't a great credit to their teaching, but from what I have seen in her new lessons she learns quickly and has been getting better almost every lesson.

This is not the first girl I have met coming from Whitemud Equine. Another girl that I had met came from there as well, and told me she had been riding for 4 years. Her horse was a young horse with a foul temper. The poor girl was basically a beginner despite how long she had ridden. Her horse tested her constantly and she was definitely overmounted. She hung on the horses mouth and her balance was extremely poor. Her equitation as a whole was poor. Once again, she may not have been a credit to the teaching there but from what I have concluded I would definitely never take lessons there. I have read other reviews that Whitemud Equine focuses a lot on equitation. If that's their idea of equitation I question the lesson program as a whole.

I have never taken lessons there so I am just looking at what I have seen. It's definitely possible that these riders are not the norm. If I am wrong in my idea of this facility I would like to know.

2  Thank Julie P
"volunteers"
"arena"
"summer"

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I took riding lessons here as a child and have very fond memories of the horses and staff. They allowed me to learn how to take care of a horse on top of learning how to ride. We would clean their hoofs, give them water and food and occasionally help clean the stalls. We also learned how to strap on the saddles and bridles. The horses always had great personalities and I remember my favorite was an appaloosa named “Prince”. I remember the instructors being very informative and kind. I don’t know what its like today but I’m sure they maintain their great standards!

7  Thank CanadianCritique
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Rural atmosphere to offset the bustle of the city. The grounds are well kept and facilities are great for horse shows. Horses look happy!

4  Thank doris m
Reviewed September 20, 2012

They offer english horseback riding lessons for every level of rider, from beginners to advanced riders. They also offer a wonderful therapy riding program called Little Bits for the disabled. Unfortunately they do not offer guided trail rides or horses for hire, and riding the trails in the area is very restrictive, your horse must wear a bum bag, which is hard to obtain, plus you must train your horse to wear one. They have top notch facilities for those with horses who live in the city that require boarding, great location but because of the lack of other boarding and training facilities within Edmonton the prices are very expensive.

3  Thank mayerthorpefarmgirl