“Would Only Go Back To Save These Poor Animals!!!!”
Review of Valley Zoo

Valley Zoo
Grande Prairie, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Would Only Go Back To Save These Poor Animals!!!!”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I am absolutely SICKENED with this zoo. I have no idea how this place is even running. I went for a visit to Edmonton for a few days and heard there was a zoo. Being a huge animal lover I had to go! I figured it would HAVE to be an indoor zoo though because of how cold it gets in Edmonton but as soon as I arrived I was in disbelief that half of it was outside. I was instantly upset. As I started walking around there was a few neat animals that seemed okay to be in the cold weather (it was -11 that day). But as I got deeper into the zoo I knew there were some animals whom's natural habitat was hot humid weather. The worst part about it is that they have signs that say they are supposed to be in desert weather. I have pictures of them pacing around in the snow freezing. There was not a SINGLE zoo keeper or security guard or any sort of person walking around checking on animals or cleaning up or ANYTHING. I could have gone in to certain parts of the area and taken an animal clear as day and no one would be there to stop me. There was at least 10 animals that had paths made in their cage that were constantly pacing around following that trail over and over again. They are MAMMALS and need some sort of INTERACTION. I kept walking around hoping to run into someone so that I could have a serious talk with them but the only person that I saw was the young lady that took my money. I know that the price was decent but in all seriousness on the website it said there was over 150 species of animals, which now that I have gone Im glad that there was two thirds less. I feel like they are robbing people to walk through that disaster. The money they charge CLEARLY doesn't go towards taking care of these animals. I could blab on forever and usually I would put in more effort into the way I'm writing this but Im way too upset and angry that I cant even write this efficiently enough. I am hoping though that what I have written will reach out to the right person and they can do something about this. And to the person that owns this god awful place I hope you see this and just do yourself justice and turn yourself in as a animal abuser. Also for anyone that wants more information from me I have tons of pictures and videos and a lot more to say!!! If you visit this place PLEASE say something and spread the word. OH! I just remembered too that the majority of the mammals were either Rare, Threatened, or Endangered. I think knowning that fact to me made it that much worse!

Visited January 2013
6 Thank BV0212

Basildon, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Shortage of animals or services”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

When I traveled to this zoo during the time I lived in the city of Edmonton, there were obviously not enough animals or services. I am also concerned over the animal's social network with humans. The famous Lucy elephant should not be living at the zoo, and should be with its own family and life, and I notice there have been plans about the removing of this particular animal, which is a good thing. Compared to more popular, nicer, well-known, zoos, such as the Toronto Zoo, Vancouver Zoo, or San Diego Zoo, this zoo is not good at all, but I hope it may be improved; although I am not living in the particular city anymore.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank Tate B
St. Albert, Alberta
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Poor Elephant”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Saw Lucy standing alone in a large pen. I thought these were social animals. I also didn't know they were comfortable in this climate. Hopefully, Lucy will have a warm home very soon.

2 Thank swallow123
Edmonton, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“under renovation”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

A third class, poorly funded place getting a much needed rebuild. Partially constructed with a good concept - northern zoo foa a northern city! Looks good. Not to be compared with a well funded zoo like Calgary but the construction and plans look like a winner for this small scale regional facility

Visited May 2012
Edmonton, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Needs a lot of $$$”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Sad to see so much potential being wasted. It is a nice area and what is there is verywell done and interesting. Nice for 1/2 a day unless you have kids in programs. They are trying to update with the seals etc, but it seems like small steps in a city rolling in money.

Visited July 2012