“The most interesting thing I ate in 2014...so far!”

Tavern 1903 at the Alberta Hotel
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Toronto, Canada
“The most interesting thing I ate in 2014...so far!”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Who knew KFC could be so good! No folks it wasn't Kentucky Fried Chicken, or even the wonderful twice fried versions of Korean Fried Chicken tossed in gojchung spicy sauce. it was in fact the other KFC,- Korean Fried Cauliflower. I saw this menu item and was intrigued and blown over after eating it. Amazingly tasty. Jason our waiter said good choice with a big smile and i was not disappointed

The building is very interesting inside though we ate on their long patio outside and enjoyed a wonderfully warm and pleasant evening for food an weather.

. The menu is very interesting and is an amalgalm of very good items with global influences. Superb and tasty shredded confit duck tacos ( finger licking good); pork belly on confift of slightly sweet and spicy shaved fennel; crab cakes with a distinctly thai chilli pepper kick to them. Superb braised short ribs in red wine served with truffle fries and a sweet corn and asparagus succotash. The food is of a very high quality, well executed and on point and represented fab value for money. These folks get an easy 4 forks out of 5. I will return on my next visit to Edmonton. @Tavern1903

Edmonton
“Lots of pig products.”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I was surprised about the variety of pork, bacon, ham products on the menu. There was even bacon in the potatoes...No light choices- I had the chicken, which was the lightest entree- and that was still really high-fat.

This reminded me of a restaurant menu from the 70's and not one from 2014.

Vancouver, Canada
“Great menu”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

The best thing about Tavern1903 was their unique menu. They have put together a diverse menu of items not seen in most restaurants. The menu definitely is conducive to sharing, so dining alone didn't give me the full experience. I gorged a little bit and tried three dishes - duck confit tacos, devilled eggs and watermelon and feta salad. All were delicious and it was nice to be able to try a few different dishes.

Wines were pretty basic and not well priced. I opted for a specialty cocktail instead. That was a good choice. Nicely made and better value than the wine.

One gripe. All three dishes came within about five minutes of placing my order (seriously). I was in no rush so I don't know why they didn't pace it better. If they had a lineup, or if I was just drinking hot water it would make sense. But they had plenty of space and I had already ordered a cocktail - where the real profit is. Why not pace the meal a bit, let me enjoy the meal and probably buy more cocktails?

Visited July 2014
Canada
“One of the best in Edmonton!!!”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Totally awesome food, location and vibe! Well priced, great quality and service! Must try - smoked deviled eggs...one of the better Charcuterie Plate in the City, excellent blue crab cakes...lots of paid parking but worth it. Excellent cocktail menu and wine list!!!

Mississauga
“Totally awesome”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Unique menu with fantastic flavours. The mozzarella meatballs were to die for. We also sampled the mozzarella bar - do not miss this unique treat.