“Noisy food!”
Review of Canteen

Canteen
Reserve with OpenTable
Canteen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 2,575 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We had a great meal, very tasty. Good service. All of this would have been fantastic, were it not for the noise level. The prices are on the high end level, certain expectations come with that. Very difficult to have a conversation. Will not return, way too noisy for us.

1  Thank Lori M

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Interesting, fresh food, great service. Really enjoyed the meal here. Check the menu in advance to get a sense of prices; in my opinion, for the caliber of food, the prices are reasonable and compared to some of the other places in town doing similar cuisine, this is a (slightly) lower price point and a better overall value. Really nice vegetarian option as well -- I think the menu undersells what they mean when they say "can be made vegetarian" -- it's not just leaving off the meat. Look for this place to rise through the rankings (currently #300? Not for long.)

1  Thank JiraMonkey
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Wow were we ever impressed with the Canteen. We were seated promptly being a little late for our Saturday brunch reservations and treated respectfully. Service was just right for a brunch gathering. The selection on the menu was great. I thought the Huevos dish with smoked pulled pork was excellent while my friend was impressed with the french toast dish and my other friend was pleased with the biscuits, poached eggs and sausage dish. Service was superb. I am looking forward to coming back for dinner. Reservations are probably a good idea.

4  Thank kpatters
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Just went there for lunch with my husband. Couldn't get the table we wanted but okay it was reserved. I just thought that at 1pm it wouldn't have reserved seating. Anyway the hostess just pointed to a table and said that ones ready. So we sat down........waited for awhile..........husband went to the washroom to wash his hands and told me what he wanted to drink, expecting that by the time he returned someone would have asked if we wanted anything to drink. Well nobody acknowledged us, no menu and no drink order..............so we walked out.
Never will I go back!!

6  Thank Laurie M
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I had heard lots about Canteen from food writers and had to see what all the fuss was about. It did not disappoint. I arrived with a business colleague on a Thursday about 11:40am for lunch. No reservations. We were the second people there. By the time we perused the menu and ordered drinks and lunch the place was 3/4 full. Nice atmosphere. I had the Morrocan Lamb burger and I must say, the BEST lamb burger I have had. Very moist and perfectly cooked. My colleague had the snapper in a broth with cannelli beans and he quite enjoyed it. Lunch with no alcohol was 39.00 plus tip. I will be back. The concise lunch menu had at least three other dishes I must try.

1  Thank Doug S