“Best Italian in Edmonton”
Review of Cafe Amore Bistro

Cafe Amore Bistro
Ranked #5 of 2,575 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I can't remember the last time I had such a wonderful Italian meal in the city. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere even though it feels like a lot of tables fitted in.
The prawns & bruschetta were simply amazing. The dishes are prepared with care and authenticity. I can't wait to go back.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The food was excellent, the service was great. They treat you like family when you first enter into the restaurant. There was good variety on the menu. Really enjoy the meal and the time spent at this restaurant. The staff were very friendly. Would go back when I am ever in Town again

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Were invited by friends for supper. I thought another of my friends had recommended this place but this was my first visit. Bit tucked away down a back street near Grant MacEwan University but oh so so so worth the trip to find it. Looks like an older building but modernized, very clean and warm. Up a small flight of steps, maybe six in total, greeted immediately by ?Christos. This is a family run business and it shows! Son at the door and another son and uncle I believe are the cooks. Dad started the place many years ago and they use grandma's recipes. Very friendly staff but not "in your face", attentive and so pleased that you have come. Bright restaurant without being gawdy, not too much stuff on the walls to make it feel dusty. We had the house wine which was quite acceptable and just had a main course. Our friends had a salad to start with (about $7) and it easily fed the both of them. I had the pasta pescatorre - linguini with crab legs, prawns, mussels, clams and baby shrimp ($26 I think) and I had the white wine garlic sauce and I easily have enough for lunch tomorrow. My husband had the homemade gnocchi with Italian sausage and sambucca rose sauce - he loved it, and he's not the biggest fan of pasta. What I should say also is that you can have half-servings, pick which pasta you want, pick your sauce, pick your meat or vegetables and so also make up your own meal - you are not stuck with the menu items. Our meal was so good I have recommended it to everyone on my Facebook page and I will tell everyone I meet. Trouble is, then more people will go! It was fairly busy, even at 5.45 when we got there and was quite full at 7.45 when we left. Do go here - you will not be disappointed. I would call early for reservations. On the way out Christos even showed us on his phone how they make the gnocchi - enough for like 250 servings, in one batch. Cannot say enough good things.

2  Thank PamGreen
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We were a party of 6 on a Monday evening. It wasn't full but it was busy.
Yes, portions are huge and the food was very good. The bocconcini salad didn't say anything about onions but it was loaded with very strong red onion, it overpowered the dish. Other than that we all enjoyed our food including desert very much.
The service was disappointing from beginning to end... keeping in mind our server was new, and so we didn't let it bother us to much.
We ordered glasses of white and red, it all came red. We had finished our appetizers and had to ask if we could order our entrees. When we were told they were going to do a platter for 3 people getting the same thing we told her we had ordered different sauces, how could that be correct? We thought we had it straightened out but we got a platter for 3, and one of our party had to wait a good 10 minutes after we were all served for them to make up her entrée.
We had to ask for desert and we had finished our coffee and desert and we were still waiting on a mocha which was ordered at the same time. Its not just that there were mistakes but when our bill came we were still charged for the platter for 3. I would have expected after taking 2 1/2 hours to get through this dinner they would have not overcharged us and perhaps not charged for the missing entrée. For that I cannot give this restaurant as good a rating as it would have got if the service would have even been OK.

2  Thank macwoman
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Cafe Amore is a great little place to eat at. Located just north of Grant MacEwan, the exterior is nothing to rave about, but the quaint and cozy interior is quite nice. The daily soups are amazing and the food portions are huge - not to mention delicious. On the last trip I had the chicken parmigiana which was really good, but it did not come with any pasta (my oversight). Make sure you make a reservation if you plan on arriving during peak eating hours - otherwise it's almost impossible to get a table...