Rutherford House Provincial Historic Site
Ranked #31 of 181 things to do in Edmonton
More attraction details
Owner description: Rutherford House Provincial Historic Site was the home of the first Premier of Alberta, Alexander Cameron Rutherford. In 1911, A.C. Rutherford, his wife Mattie and their family moved into this beautiful brick mansion near the university campus. The family entertained friends, relatives and influential Edmontonians for more than a generation. Today, this restored and furnished Edwardian-era home maintains the Rutherford tradition of hospitality and offers visitors a glimpse into the past with costumed interpreters, guided tours and special events.
Toronto
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Wow!”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Fantastic afternoon tea! A wide range of teas from which to select, fabulous little sandwiches, scones and other pastries. Incredible Lady Grey tea, which I had never had before, but surely will again when I am back there. The only flaw was that they did not sell the tea leaves they offer. Too bad. I would have really loved to have taken some of the Lady Grey home.

Toronto, Canada
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“A hidden gem – well worth the visit”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Our visit to Rutherford House was fantastic – well above our expectations. Firstly it is in excellent condition staffed by people who really know their stuff. We had a great personal tour by Louise, who was a fund of interesting information on the family, the house and the history of both.

The house is beautiful, is in a wonderful state of repair, and has a really homey feel. There are both guided and self-guided tours – you can take both and sit on most of the furniture (unlike many historic houses). Everything in the house is interesting but perhaps the best bits are the way the maids lived in real comfort each with their own room.

There is a nice dining room, serving up many original recipes from Mrs. Rutherford’s personal cook book. We had the English Cream Tea, which was yummy. There is also a small gift shop with some interesting items all very reasonably priced.

The entry fee by the way is a steal at $4 for adults and reduced prices for everyone else.

Visited September 2012
Mayerthorpe, Alberta
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Beautiful example of Edmonton's rich history as the home as Alberta's first Premier”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The house is not just beautiful, it is a gem full of Alberta's history. I have visited a few times, and each and every time I appreciate it more.

Sherwood Park
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Back in the Day of Cooking on a Wood Stove..”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I spent time with my grandmother in the day when she cooked on a wood stove, we bathed in a tin tub brought in from outside and filled with water heated on the stove -- at Rutherford house a lot of memories where resurrected, especially when they served us fresh cookies baked in the wood stove, I enjoy that "period" of decor and furnshings. High Tea is served on occasion and my family of girls went and we truly felt treated. It was a wonderful experience.

Edmonton
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Rutherford House and Arbour restaurant”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My Girlfirend and I and her mother attended High Tea at the Historic rutherford house today. What a lovely visit. The house and gardens are beautiful. The Food was lovely and the tea very nice!

Visited August 2012