“Beautiful location; a pleasantly memorable stay”
Review of Hotel Selkirk

Hotel Selkirk
Ranked #62 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The Hotel Selkirk is located on the side of the Fort Edmonton historical park in the river valley of Edmonton. I've visited Fort Edmonton many times with family and to attend functions in different buildings. My husband and I were looking for a nice night away without the cost of travelling outside the city, and we heard the Hotel Selkirk was accepting regular hotel guests. Being able to walk the grounds of Fort Edmonton on a warm evening was magical. We stayed on a Tuesday, so it was very quiet and we could hear some of the wildlife in the river valley; there is also a nice little park and fountain right across from the Hotel. The room itself was well appointed and clean, but sparse, true to the 1920's era it is supposed to reflect. The temperature was right, although I would have preferred being able to open a window. The night clerk wasn't at the desk when we arrived, but she showed up a minute or so after we rang the bell. She, and the other staff, were professional and friendly. We also enjoyed visiting the park the next day. I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a one night getaway that's a little different.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Even though we visit Edmonton often and have stayed in many area hotels, we have never stayed here. This was my husbands first visit to Fort Edmonton Park so thought this would be a treat. Entrance to the park is free with a hotel reservation, so this makes the Hotel Selkirk one of the cheapest hotels in the city. The room was lovely with a few extra perks, chocolates by the bed and a free teddy bear. The no TV was not an issue. Walking around Fort Edmonton after hours was very peaceful. I highly recommend this hotel for a unique and comfortable stay.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank formerbrit2003
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My friend's wedding was held at Fort Edmonton (ceremony at the Capitol Theatre- very neat), reception at the hangar. A bunch of us wondered where we should stay and decided to try the Selkirk. Well, what a neat little hotel! Exceptionally clean, comfortable bed, air conditioned, spacious bathroom....we booked a suite. Very reasonably priced. In the morning, we woke up to the steam train cruising through the park...it was a very neat experience and I would absolutely recommend the hotel for anyone who has a business or personal event going on at Fort Edmonton. We did not stay for breakfast although looked like there was a little restuarant. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 303 was tucked away, very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012

A little oasis in the middle of a busy city. Hotel Selkirk takes you back in time with style. We truly enjoyed the TV free atmosphere (we borrowed the free Wifi from the city of Edmonton) and had a very quiet and relaxed stay. The corner room we had provided an excellent view to the old downtown area. Room rates are more than adequate although we would have preferred the price to include a breakfast. For international travellers its on the must do list for their vacation.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Selkirk last year as part of my solo trip to the park for three nights. At check in I was greeted by a friendly staff member at the front desk who gave me a wealth of information about the hotel and park features.

When I got up to my room it was large and spacious with a large queen sized bed which was very comfy. The bathroom was nice and clean with a tub and shower combo. On my bed there was a little souvenir Selkirk teddy bear greeting me and two truffles on the nightstand next to the bed. The room was nice and cool with the air conditioning, which was nice as it was 30 degrees outside. The internet is useful as the none of the rooms have any televisions, which is really the only thing they really could change to make it better. Whether it was to keep with the 1920's feel of the hotel or not, in room TV's would definitely be a plus. Never the less I had my laptop so I was able to watch some movies on that.

After a day in the park I came back to the hotel and stopped to ask the front desk if I could get a few bottles of Coca-Cola in an ice bucket to take back up to my room. She said it would be a few minutes and offered to bring it upstairs for me. During the evening, after the park closed, I went out for a stroll and enjoyed the nice fountain across from the hotel, but apart from that there isn't anything going on so a trip into Edmonton is in order.

The one thing I didn't try was the restaurant located in the hotel, but I found great food in the park during opening hours. After hours I was out of the park so I didn't get a chance to try the Johnson Cafe.

Check out was smooth and I was still able to enjoy the park until closing before heading home.

All in all it was a great experience which is why I am going back this year in just a couple days. ;)

Room Tip: All the rooms are good but if you are traveling with kids, I would recommend the room with two twin...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Held our daughter's wedding here and it was great! We had the hotel to ourselves from Friday afternoon until Sunday morning and it was wonderful to not have to drive anywhere (even the church was just up the street) and to know that everyone you met at the hotel was there for the same reason you were! There was one small glitch with the amount of food that was provided for the rehearsal dinner but we mentioned the problem and all the rest of the meals were wonderful. Beautiful venue and very friendly, helpful staff. Christie, the banquet manager, was awesome; shortly after the reception meal started I just stopped worrying about things getting done because I realized that she was going to take care of everything, and she did!
No complaints from anyone and more compliments about the wedding than any I've ever been to.

Room Tip: The suites are beautiful! You can't beat a claw-foot bathtub. I worried about hearing the music...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2011

This was my first visit to Fort Edmonton Park and I was there for a wedding. The hotel is fairly small but the rooms were a good size, clean, and comfortable. The hotel staff were friendly and the entire park is a fun place to visit.

The hotel is a great location if you are attending an event at the park or if you are building your stay around the park itself, otherwise it's a bit of work getting to and from the place, especially at night with the gate system.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends