“Everything and more from an amazing hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton
Ranked #7 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Uxbridge, Canada
“Everything and more from an amazing hotel”
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Arrived very late and our reservation was still waiting for us and the staff was very friendly. This Hilton was an unexpected surprise in the west end of Edmonton. We were going to stay close to the center of the city, but wanted something more quiet, which we had. There was some paving on the street, but did not even hear it. The rooms were very clean, (my sister was next door, and her room was just as nice) and the breakfast was great. Big bathroom for a room with two queen beds. Flat screen TV and water in the fridge. Very nice!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Waybn, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton, responded to this review, September 9, 2010
Good afternoon Mr. SuperUxSales,
Thank you so much for taking the time writing such a wonderful note to the Tripadvisor users about our hotel. We are very happy to see that you and your family enjoyed the stay here. We really appreciate your praises and recommendations which always encourage our teams to do a better job for all of our guests, one day at a time. We hope to see you soon!

Yours Truly in Garden Inn Hospitality,

David Wei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Arabic first
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Stayed at the HGI at the end of an extended road trip. This was the best hotel we stayed in during the whole trip. What a pleasure. It has concrete floors so one never hears the usual thump thump thump of others in the corridors or in the room above. The staff was very efficient at solving the small issues we had during our stay.

Big rooms, high quality linens, quiet HVAC, just like home.

Breakfast is not free, but it is made hot and just for you, not out of the freezer.

Note1: If you are not familiar with the city streets in the area, be prepared to drive round and round for a while till you find out where every one of the streets goes. One way streets, bogus service roads, round abouts, roads at odd angles to all the others. The urban planner for the area should have been fired.

Once you find out how to get to the HGI and from there to where you want to go, enjoy... it is an nice place.

Note2: Get a room on the north side if you are sensitive to street noise.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
We really love your comments posted on Tripadvisor for your recent stay with us. I hope other Tripadvisors appreciate your feedback as much as we do. I am glad our team was able to deliver our hospitality promises to you and help you with a pleasant ending to your trip. This is simply what we do, every day and we really enjoy doing it. Our focuses of operation is to assist our guests to "sleep deep", "work smart", "eat well", "stay fit" and " treat yourself". Our team members are culturally educated and trained to ensure the delivery of them all. We are looking forward to having you back some time soon. Please allow us to assist you to experience it all.

Sincerely in Garden Inn Hospitality,

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Well after reading many of the reviews on this site about where to stay in Edmonton, we plucked for this hotel as it was within an easy drive from the airport, was minutes from Highway 16 for our journey to Jasper 2 days later, and there were enough shops/food outlets within easy walk/drive of the hotel. The mainly positive reviews about this hotel also helped us make our choice and we were not disappointed.

We booked the Romance Package for our 2 nights stay which included either wine or champagne on arrival. After a swift check-in, we opted for a white wine and although it seemed to take quite some time and a phone call before it turned up. The reason we were told was they were all out of the usual wine they provide for the package so had to source something else. A little strange, but we know these things do happen. The hotel also has a small selection of microwave meals to eat in the room. There wasn't too much choice but we picked out a meal for the two of us, as having just got off the plane and not eaten much, we not only felt jet lagged but also a little hungry....but not hungry enough for a full sit down meal. Microwave meals are the same world over, not really that appetising but enough just to get you through to the next meal!

One thing to note....the air conditioning in the room (although a little noisy at times) is controlled by a temperature controller on the wall....it's not a thermostat like we thought it was! We didn't want it quite so cold all the time so we put the temp up high so it didn't come on over night. Of course not being a thermostat, that meant that a couple hours in to our sleep we woke up very, very hot as the temperature was on high! Our fault really, but we didn't see any info on how to control the air con in any of the documentation in the room. Maybe we just missed it?

Breakfast the next day was fantastic and the first time we'd had Canadian pancakes with maple syrup and bacon. It wasn't the last time either, we're hooked on pancakes and maple syrup now!! That set us up for the day before we met up with our relatives and went round the W.Ed Mall.

On our return to the hotel later that day, we were asked what wine we wanted again in the room. We didn't realise that the romance package included a bottle of wine each night you were there, but as we still had 1/2 a bottle left from the previous night we opted not to have another one, so the hotel changed our package for the 2nd night to the standard B&B rate.

It was also nice to get free internet from an Ethernet port in the room (Wi-Fi was also available) as most hotels in the UK seem to charge a fortune for it!

Overall, we would highly recommend this hotel. The room we had was clean, the bed was huge(!), very comfortable, and the staff were all very polite and helpful. In fact the English could learn a lesson in hospitality and politeness from Canadians! All the Canadians we met could not do enough to help us and we felt welcomed wherever we went. Thank you to you all at the Hilton Garden Inn for getting our holiday off to a great start.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Waybn, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton, responded to this review, September 2, 2010
Dear Viking2010,
Today at the hotel, after reading your review on the Tripadvisor, we are all hoping that you have a pleasant and safe journey for the rest of the trip. At the same time, everyone wanted me to thank you for your generous comments about our facilities, services and staff. Once again, we realize how important it is for us to be able to offer our guests with the ultimate hospitality. As we always say, "when tomorrow is a big day, stay HGI tonight". I am very glad that our team was able to assist you with a "great start" for your trip in the country.
Enjoy the rest of your adventure in Canada!

Sincerely in Garden Inn Hospitality,
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed August 29, 2010

I stay at lots of Hilton properties, including HGI's, and this property had everything I expect of the brand, which I really like. You will need a car to stay here, of course, as there isn't much of anything within walking distance, including the West Edmonton Mall which is almost 2 KM away. This hotel is not, nor does it bill itself as, a 4*, so don't expect a concierge, bellman, etc., although the front desk can ask some concierge-type questions. The front desk usually seemed to have 2 people on staff (at least during the busier times), so check-in was efficient. As with mot HGI's, the furniture is of very high quality and comfort, including ergonomic desk chairs, beds, etc. Breakfasts are free for Hilton HHonors gold members and, as usual for HGI's, is of very high quality, with omelets cooked to order and table service. Amenities include HDTV, fridge, coffee maker, and free high-speed internet. The internet speed was faster than average for most hotels, including 4*'s (and in my experience 4*'s often charge for internet).
I've always been mystified by the brand name "Hilton Garden Inn," since I don't think I've ever seen one with a garden let alone any landscaping to speak of. I think of HGI's as the "ugly ducklings" of the Hilton family, in that they're generally ugly on the outside, but very comfortable once you get inside. The area around this hotel is rather ugly with no nice views to be had. On the other hand, there's free ample parking. The rooms are also well-insulated and quiet.
My only complaint was that at the evening reception, one could only get one glass of complimentary wine. In my experience, most HGI's, Homewood Suites, and Embassy Suites offer two per guest, which seems reasonable. Although this isn't what I would call an exciting hotel, I will say that this hotel gave me the most for my money during my 13-day Canadian road trip to Vancouver (7 hotels). I notice that this hotel is ranked above the Fairmont. Well, I doubt it's more luxurious than the Fairmont, but I think ratings should reflect satisfaction for money paid, so in that sense I agree with this hotel's high marks.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Lebelgo,
Your review on Tripadvisors for your recent stay experience at the Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton is really appreciated by our entire team. You are definitely one of our most loyal guests who understand and appreciate what we, as a brand, have to offer. Making our guests feel at ease and comfortable, helping them getting things done without obstacles, caring for their needs and wants, recognizing their support and loyalty, developing friendship and creating memorable experiences. These are our everyday FOCUS. As an upscale - focused service hotel, we deliver value to our guests, meaning our services and accommodation is fantastic, yet affordable. Free WIFI/HSIA, free local calls, free business centre usage, free Precor USA fitness centre/Stay Fit in-room kit usage, free parking, free hot/freshly cooked breakfast for our Gold/Diamond Hilton HHonors guests and more.
I agree with you on the hotel landscaping. We will redo it by next spring. However, I have seen some Hilton Garden Inns on the California coast. Their exteriors beat many luxury hotels out there. I wish we had their climate though. There would be so much more we can do here in that case.
Regards,
Western part
Reviewed August 21, 2010

The hotel is nice. The location is good. However, there are a few problems. It is the first time I've been on a "sleep number" bed. I don't know if it is broken, but neither I nor my wife could see any difference in any of the settings - on either side. Moreover, both of us had sore backs from the bed. We don't generally get sore backs.

The room is well laid out and equipped - 4 cup coffeemaker, microwave, refrigerator that works, desk, reasonable (but not great0 chair, etc. The television was clear, which is better than most hotels. The toiletries were nice.

The girl at check in was very pleasant.

I believe a review should tell it like it is:

- kids running up and down the halls, even on a non weekend. This may be difficult to control, but it happened here more than it usually happens. Management was told.

- The coffeemaker - yes, the coffeemaker was nice. Stainless steel pot, etc. One could make 8 cups a day if they had 4 regular and 4 decaf. There were also two teabags. However, there was no regular creamer at all, and two flavoured creamers. Hazelnut tea anyone?? Since we stayed more than one night, it seems it is more habit than oversight.

- Bathroom - fine, but shower nozzle not great. I didn't have complaints about the towels.

- Internet. It is too bad that there isn't a definition of "high speed". It isn't very fast...you can at least work with it but fast it is not. They also have some sort of filter because my wife - although she could get to the role playing website she likes..it would not run. She's had no problem at other hotels, including other hiltons. It worked using my data stick, so I had to leave that with her. She had no use for the hotel internet as the website was working on the cell network connection but not the hotel one.

- Breakfast - okay, here is the number one reason why this hotel is unlikely to ever see my face again. When I was seated, the hostess was "quite emphatic" about how items such as eggs were to be ordered, and other things were to be gotten at the bufffet. The waitress reiterated this. She said they even had eggs benedict. I ordered that, knowing full well that eggs benedict were usually not good in a buffet, so I was glad they made them fresh.

Well, I went up to the buffet to get juice, fruit etc, and what do I see? The waitress poking about the eggs benedict that's been sitting at the buffet..she was looking for one that was "medium" as ordered. I would not have asked for this if I knew it was from the buffet, because I know it wouldn't have been good.

I reminded her that it was supposed to be fresh made, so she gave some excuse about "just looking" and went off to make the order.

I went to get some other things. There was about a scoop and a half of scrambled eggs left, 1.5 strips of bacon left, I got the very bottom of the cranberry juice. There was well over an hour left, and the place was moderately full...they were not keeping up.

I got some fruit and went back to my seat.

The eggs benedict came finally. Let me tell you, I'm sure they take the hollandaise sauce directly off the cook's pay. There was some on the eggs, but much less than I've ever seen anywhere before. It was not enough to add to the taste of the dish at all.

They may have nearly set a record for removing my "old" buffet plate from my table. There seemed to be a lot of visiting going on. The manager was visiting with some people. Unfortunately, my waitress was visiting someone for a long time and I needed my bill. I asked her for it, but she decided to stop at two additional tables and visit before going to do this. I seriously contemplated just leaving and telling the front desk to charge the meal to my room whenever it got sorted out. The waitress finally finished her visiting at both tables (one then the other) and went up to the front. However, there must have been some food to deliver that was getting old, she she had to get that done...then she finally went and got my bill. During the rest of my stay, I had to go somewhere else for breakfast.

The elevator is slow and the air conditioner is noisy.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Waybn, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton, responded to this review, August 22, 2010
Dear Guy-traveler,
Please accept my sincere gratitude for you because of the thorough review you have shared with the Tripadvisor users for your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton. This is one of most comprehensive reviews we have ever received on the website and it is invaluable. For a service, quality and value oriented hotel team, your feedback is gold and will only assist us targeting some specific areas and improving on it.
There are no small mistakes once it comes to our operations. We take every single guest complaint seriously, as they all affect the Ultimate Guest Experience we consistently pursue. I am currently going through all items listed on your review with all my department heads, especially the food services team. Nevertheless, please accept my sincere apologies for lack of attentiveness from your server when you had your breakfast that day. I wish I had a chance to personally introduce myself to you during your stay so that some issues could have been addressed in time with my teams.
Please allow us to welcome you back with open arms one day. We might become really good friends if we had the opportunity to converse, as I feel we can definitely learn a lot more from an experience guest like you.

Tunbridge Wells
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Very much a "No frills" hotel. Room service 4 pm to 10 pm only. There is a tiny bar which hides bashfully in the corner of the restaurant where both close at 10 pm. Ideal hotel for a church convention but oh so boring. On the plus side the staff were most efficient and friendly. Somewhat limited menu but the food was good and well presented whilst my room was immaculate..

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Waybn, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton, responded to this review, July 29, 2010
Dear John,
Thank you for taking some time sharing your stay experience with our Trip Advisor users. We are glad to see you were warmly attended to by our staff and you were pleased with the food services at hotel. As a Focused Service branded hotel, we concentrate on providing guest satisfaction for business and leisure travellers alike, in affordability, quality and consistency of our hotel rooms, services and amenities. I am sorry that you did not experience the glamour you would at some of the luxury hotels. However, despite the excellent conditions we are in, we are already planning on remodelling the hotel interior to further enhance every guest’s experience. My team and I, as well as some of our regular guests are all very excited about it. You will have a whole new experience next time you are here, guaranteed!

Sincerely in Garden Inn Hospitality!
Winnipeg
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Best hotel I ever stayed at for the price. Clean rooms, lots of freebies. Grandkids loved it, free internet access, very clean pool. Great maid service. Had adjoining rooms for five days in this very quiet hotel, never heard a sound from neighbours. Had two minor issues that were resolved in minutes. Beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank freddie649
Waybn, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
Well, please allow me to give you a BIG "Thank You", Mr. Freddie649! It is an absolute pleasure having you and your family staying with us. I am very glad that we were able to offer the GREAT VALUE you were looking for - Reasonable Price, Great Service, Quality Accommodation, FREE Amenities and Friendly Staff. Again, we kept our hospitality promises by pleasing another loyal guest like you. On behalf of the entire service team, thank you again for your generous support. See you and your family soon!