“Outstanding hotel”

Ranked #7 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Cochrane, Canada
“Outstanding hotel”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

It is very clean and the hotel staff are extremely friendly. They had cookies at the desk each night and fresh fruit in the morning. The coffee machine in the room was a nice surprise. However, the breakfast buffet was fantastic - very reasonably priced for what you were able to get!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

HGIGuestRelations, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Gordon,

I wish to thank you for you review of us, we strive to provide sincere western hospitality and believe we offer great value to our guests. Nice to see that you were able to enjoy our made to order single price breakfast.

I will share your comments with my team, once again thank you for your comments and for staying with us.

Michael Sieger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Arabic first
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My family and I have stayed at this hotel before (I prefer the Hamptons). At check in we realized I forgot our credit cards, shouldn't be a big deal there's one on file from booking. The girl at the front desk told us there was absolutely no way for to check in with out a credit card. I offered a cash deposit (I have worked in a resort for 6 years and our cash deposit is $500). She said no we can't do cash. I asked if we could speak to manager, she said no there isn't one. Everything was no. I then explained we drove almost 6 hours with two kids under two, can we not make an exception since we've stayed here before? She had to speak to a manager, and went in the back for 20 minutes before coming out to tell us, they would allow it THIS time but NEVER again. They way she spoke to us made us feel like we were the worst people in the world (for forgetting a credit card!). From there things just snowballed (as they do when check ins are bad). She then checked us in, and at the end she was prompted for a deposit for us since there was no credit card to swipe. Weird when they don't take cash right? She didn't give us our Internet password, or tell us check out time or where any of the amenities were, didn't even point us in the direction if our room.
When I inquired about breakfast she told us our rate didn't include it. When I asked if we could upgrade she said no "you would have had to do that yesterday". Really? I then started asking about breakfast, we were all but actually told we couldn't have it. She wouldn't tell us what time or how much nothing. I finally gave up and said "it's ok I packed a few oatmeal packages ill feed our kids that". And that was check in.
My husband was pretty upset with how this all played out, and called customer service when we got to our room. Customer service called the hotel trying to get a resolution to turn our stay around. At which they got no assistance from the hotel.
The bed on the right was broken, but there was NO WAY we were going to complain to the girl at the front desk. The bed sank really bad on the edge facing the other bed, where people would sit to chat. So when sleeping (two people to a bed) the person on that side had to be aware not to roll off as it was slanted.
In the morning we decided to have breakfast in the restaurant, which our waitress was awesome! The food was great, it was a good experience (as it always is).
At check out, the manager did come to talk to us. He apologized for check in, however his GSA was just following the law (that you have to have a credit card). Um, it's not law, it's company policy. Don't lie. If it were law:
1 why would you break it? It's law! You are now a criminal!
2 why was there a prompt on the computer at check in for a cash deposit?
3 your customer service said its acceptable however up to each hotel if they will accept that.
4 on your website it says you accept debit and credit cards at check in
From there we told the manager we appreciated them bending the rules for us (we really did!) however it was the attitude of the GSA that ruined our stay. We were then told he knew (insert name here) and she's not like that. "I'm not saying you're lying but she's not like that". When I said maybe she was having a bad day or just didn't like us, he kinda rolled his eyes. I told him we would never be back, he just looked at me with a "so" look. In the last I'd say 2 years we have stayed at this hotel and the Hamptons at least 50 times (my husband thinks it closer to 100). Hilton Garden Edmonton, you will not see us return.
On a side note the people we spoke to in customer service were great! And they resolved everything for us AFTER check out. But the hotel itself had no interest in that.
It's sad that one really bad experience can ruin many great stays before.
Guests that will never return to Hilton Garden Inn Edmonton. As if you care....

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank TheTravellingFamilyT
HGIGuestRelations, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing feedback on your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I am sorry about your experience with check-in at the front desk and I can assure you that it is not standard to find someone at our hotel who is rude or unhelpful. We strive to ensure our front desk agents and other team members know how much we value your families business and we will utilize your comments as part of our ongoing service training. I apologize again for the issues you encountered and am grateful we were able to resolve the situation personally. If we may be of any additional assistance or if you would like to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact our offices directly. We hope you will give us another chance to deliver the quality hospitality you deserve should you return to our area again in the future.

lloydminster, Canada
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Had a great couple nights at one of teh edmonton locations, the beds were very comfortable and the rooms were very clean. The service was great and i would efinitly reommend staying there, on your travels. I will definitly be going back there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, we look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Stoney Creek, Canada
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Good hotel. I can't think of anything bad to say. It was a little pricey. Nothing fancy. Clean. Comfortable. Not really close to anything exciting. The business centre was good. They had two computers. Printer, paper and phone books.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, most guests have found are location to be ideal with the famous West Edmonton mall just minutes away. I am sorry that we did not do a better job in letting you know all the West End and Edmonton has to offer. Hope we have a chance again in the future.

Alberta
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Located close to the West Edmonton Mall, this is the perfect location for a shopping trip! Service was great, beds comfortable and friendly staff! There was plenty of parking available, and the restaurant was delicious!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing with TripAdvisor, we are conveniently located close to West Edmonton Mall and a great home base for your shopping adventure to Edmonton. Thanks for sharing and for staying with us!

Georgetown, Canada

food was very good.
location was great - the Chop steakhouse is across the street with great food as well.
internet access was good
room and premesis was clean
i was presenting here and the events team are very good and responsive
tv was clear
bed was good and the room was quiet

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments and thank you for sharing on TripAdvisor.

Alberta
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I like this hotel although I feel for the money it should include a basic movie channel...also the fellow that checked in just before me received 2 bottles of complimentary water...not sure why I didn't but didn't bother to ask...not that big of a deal.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor, it is unfortunate that during your stay we were having some challenges with our cable provider. We do have HD cable and feature a selection of movie channels that on this day was unfortunately not working properly.

Thank you for your patience with us.