“Smelly & Creepy”
Review of Eastglen Inn

Eastglen Inn
Ranked #75 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We got the room on Hotwire I travel for work and have never stayed at such a dive. The room reeked of smoke even though it was a non smoking room, the upholstery stained, furniture had burn marks or was damaged, the windows don't lock, no interior security locks and some creepy people hanging around trying to bum smokes even after being told numerous times, No !! Scary for a female travelling alone, I checked out first thing in the morning. The reviews system is clearly flawed and online companies implying to be expert in the industry should check out the places they recommend. I guarantee not one representative from Hotwire or TripAdvisor has ever stayed at this place.
S Inouye

• Stayed: February 2013
7  Thank SInouye

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I arrived with no reservation after a hockey game at Rexall Place. Had a little too drink and knew it would not be best to drive anywhere. So it was a little after 11 at night and I was greeted by a young man who was super friendly. He said there was no problems with checking me in and I got a deal at 90 bucks for the night! I was a little surprised though that they ask for a cash deposit rather than take a credit card automatically. When I asked him, he said most certainly he would accept a credit card, but it is easier for the hotel to take a cash deposit to ensure I would get it back when I check out.

Anyway, got into my room, was actually quite nice, super clean and better than what I expected for a hotel of this class. I got wireless internet for free, parking for free and the bed was actually very comfortable. I woke up around 7:30am and remember the young man telling me they would serve a complimentary breakfast in the morning until 9:30. So I got up and went downstairs to smell an awesome aroma of coffee! The food they put out is not much but like toast, cereal, muffins, some juice and yogurt. However, what an effort and the thought is appreciated!

The gentleman with glasses, somewhat older was extremely friendly and struck up a conversation with me. A blonde haired woman thinking his wife was also just as friendly. I am blown away at how friendly the staff are here. I checked out with no hiccups, had to get my room inspected before I could have my deposit back, but with cash in hand I was on my way.

Trust me! Stay here and you will not be sorry!

Room Tip: My room was on the second floor towards a corner of the building. Nice and quiet where the bedroom a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank k0jax
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I don't know what people expect in Edmonton or anywhere for that matter for $100 per night, but I would say this was a great value for what we experienced. I stayed here many years ago when I attended an Aerosmith concert and it was in need of renovations, but wasn't a dump. And I believe I paid $60 per night then. Again, convenience and quick promiximity, as in 2 blocks, to Rexall Place, was my main motivator. We stayed here on Nov. 29 again for the same reason, for the Paul McCartney concert. The price is now $115, but a nice upgrading in renovations and furniture has been done. Still some things like upgrading window coverings and broken down radiator covers needs to be done, but was nicely surprised! The bed was very comfortable and clean, and the place was immaculately clean. The lobby and check in experience was great as well. A nice touch was the continental breakfast, albeit some posters were complaining about having no place to sit??? This is a motel people and I was appreciative of the fact that they even attempted to offer breakfast at a motel setting. Good on them! Choices were selected ceraels, yogurt cups, muffins, milk, juice and coffee..Well done! We just walked back to our room with our breakfast. Attitude is everything people, and if you want an expensive experience, go to the McDonald hotel, ok..Great job to the GM and staff at the Eastglen. I am telling everyone about our experience. Keep your pricing competitive and you will always have us coming back..All the best!

Room Tip: If you want upscale and want to pay for it, go somewhere else! If you want a great place to stay and...
5  Thank Samlaz
nosnalem, General Manager at Eastglen Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay. It is feedback such as yours that assist us in offering the best possible product and service.

We are extremely grateful for your king words, it is rewarding to know that our guests notice and appreciate the product and service we offer. Our team prides itself on our customer service and property cleanliness.

I will share your comments with my team.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed here for two nights to go see a concert at Rexall Place. Staff and the manager at the front desk were very accommodating and friendly. The walk to the concert was only about 5 minutes. The room was clean and cozy with a super comfortable king sized bed, good shower, and fridge/microwave for a reasonable price ($91). It was also dog friendly and the manager said we could let our dog stay in the room while we went to the concert so she didn't have to be cold in the car, as long as they had a number to reach us at if they needed to. We took our dog for 4 walks a day, including late at night (midnight) and early morning (5 am), and never felt unsafe walking around the neighbourhood, nor did we see any of the "sketchy" people others refer to. It is an older hotel, but recent renovations have been done in the rooms. The street out front of the hotel is a busy road so you may need earplugs to block traffic noise at night, but it is centrally located and easy to access malls, and the Yellowhead highway. We'd stay here again!

4  Thank Candace N
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I don't understand how the reviews are so high for this place. They were the reason we stayed there last weekend. There were people fighting all night long. The phones don't let you call the front desk. The front desk was aware of a huge fight going on in the room above us (a couple were throwing and breaking things, and were screaming at each other) and they didn't seem to really care.
The window in our room was broken and wouldn't lock closed which added to the creepy feeling with people fighting.
There were people that I think were selling drugs out front.
AND its not even that cheap! We paid $115.
Never ever ever ever again! :)

5  Thank K W

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay. Feedback such as yours assist us in offering the best possible product and services. It is clear from your comments that we did not live up to your expectations in both product and service. For this I sincerely apologies.
I would like you to contact me at the motel at your earliest convenience to discuss your experience during your stay, judging by the reviews posted before and after yours, I can assure you that your experience is a rarity at our establishment.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stayed here for an event close to Rexall Place, and this motel is only 2-3 blocks walking distance, so good location. I was weary at first as I had never heard of the place, but we arrived, and had a nice clean quiet room, very nice lady at the front desk, and quick easy check out. Will stay again when we have an event at Rexall or Agricom/Expo Centre.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room off the ground floor.
4  Thank Wanda A
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is an older motel but is quite clean, comfortable & quiet,manager is very friendly & accommodating,we have stayed there every Nov for 5 years now, within walking distance to the Rexall which is one of the reasons we stay there.

Room Tip: King size beds are wonderful
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends