“Marvelous Mettera”

Metterra Hotel on Whyte
Ranked #6 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 15, 2009

This hotel was recommended to me by a friend. I was so impressed with the customer service as soon as I walked in the door! The front desk clerks were so friendly and helpful. My room on the fifth floor overlooked Whyte's Avenue and it was amazing. I took photographs as soon as I was in the door. I loved the atmosphere and the decor of the room. My one night at the Meterra was magical. I enjoyed the business room and the workout room which where on site. I would recommend this hotel to others definitely!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed June 29, 2009

I wanted to write this note to say how very impressed I was with my stay at the Metterra Hotel on Whyte Avenue in Edmonton. I travel to Edmonton a fair amount for work, and I want to share with everyone how happy I feel about finally finding a truly wonderful hotel there that gives the traveller tremendous value at a very reasonable and affordable price.

The rooms are so comfortable and have all the first-class amenities I want in a hotel - comfortable beds with fine linens, television sets that are modern, wireless internet connectivity, and bathrooms that are nicer than those in the most expensive hotels in Edmonton.

While the hotel does not have a restaurant as part of the facility, it serves the best free Continental Breakfast that one could find anywhere!! I prefer healthier food alternatives for breakfast, and this one more than satisfies my needs. The hotel's gym, while not large or full of all different kinds of weight equipment, is adequate, comfortable and clean. Also, it's accessible 24 hours, which is a huge plus for guests.

Furthermore, a huge advantage to staying at the Metterra is that it's right on Whyte Avenue. Whyte Avenue is Edmonton's version of Yorkville in Toronto or Kitsilano in Vancouver. It's full of the best shops, coffee spots, restaurants, bookstores, art galleries, bars and clubs in Edmonton and it's all within a short walking distance right outside the Mettera's front door.

Most important, the Metterra's staff provides excellent, attentive service. So many hotels these days talk a good game about service, but provide anything but. All you find at these places are apathetic staff who smile but really couldn't care less about the guests.

But to a person, the Metterra's staff are pleasant and attentive to the guest's needs. Everyone, from the housekeepers to the manager, really worked hard to make me feel welcome as a guest. For example, on my last trip to Edmonton, the City was doing work on Whyte Avenue and actually had closed off parts of the road and the sidewalk right in front of the hotel. My taxi had to let me off at the corner of the street. However, there were two valet staff from the hotel standing right at the corner. As soon as my taxi pulled up, and once I identified myself as a guest of the hotel, they carried my bags and walked me through the maze of construction to the front door of the hotel and brought me to the front desk. Now that's service!!

In conclusion, staying at the Metterra was such a great experience that I have decided to stay there every time I come to Edmonton.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2009

Nice, classy, hotel with good, clean rooms...BUT, the parking is absolutely terrible. Construction at the loading zone out front so you couldn't stop there, so we circled around the hotel for 1/2 an hour trying to find a place to park to get our luggage into the hotel. Then, we were instructed to drive up the street to a parkade...complete disaster! Long story short...I damaged my vehicle trying to get into the parkade and had to go back to the hotel to find out if they had other parking areas for us to park. Sent me to a place about a block away and I walked back...I got to my room over 2 hours after I arrived on outside the Meterra!
Front desk staff were not very accomodating when I told them of my troubles and not overly friendly regardless.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
GMMetterra, General Manager at Metterra Hotel on Whyte, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2009

Dear TaylorMadeBV,

Thank you for your review of our hotel, we appreciate your kind words on the property and its cleanliness.
I would like to extend a sincere apology to you for the negative experience you faced on your arrival to the hotel. I will ensure that our Guest Services team receive the appropriate coaching with regard to the lack of empathy shown to a valued guest, and their failure to deliver on a warm and hospitable guest experience.
Should you wish to discuss your stay further with me, please contact me directly at jbarrigan@metterra.com or 780.465.8155.
Again, thank you for taking time to review the hotel based on your recent experience so that we can coach our team and improve on our performance. As well, I will share your concerns with The City of Edmonton so they are aware of the inconvenience the construction on Whyte Avenue is causing our customers.

Jane Barrigan Jess

Reviewed May 21, 2009

I have been staying at this hotel on business trips for quite a while, and at first I was in love with the hotel. Until the 'true colours' shone thru and the things that really matter are evidently not a priority of the hotel.Now, after many 'one last tries', I won't be going back.

Positive - nice decor, contemporary. breakfast is pleasant, and wine & cheese a nice touch. comp wireless, comfy bed. But a comfy bed is no good if you have club noise blaring in your room!

Negatives - the front desk service is getting progressively worse. the area noise is horrendous.

* limited area parking means valet. But just try to get your car back from valet at the time you specified, even if you notified the night before and called in the morning to remind. I was 30 min late to work because of valet parking. So self park, if you don't mind parking a block or three away. but with winter conditions half the year, valet is a necessity and these guys are doing their best, but there was only one person on valet service when I came back at rush hour yesterday, and no where to pull over so I could leave the car for valet

*the evening front desk is poorly staffed. When I arrived late a night, no one was there. I called out, I knocked on doors, no one. I waited 10 minutes in a deserted hotel lobby at midnight. not the safest feeling.

*all incoming calls go through front desk, which as I mentioned is poorly staffed. My incoming calls (e.g. family trying to reach me) are often not answered, or put on hold. Once, I had to call downstairs to remind them to answer the incoming calls! He said he was all alone and too busy to answer the phone.

* The rooms facing Whyte Ave get the front row to the Thurs night activities along this bar/club strip, including the noise that goes along with. Tonight was particularly bad, as I had never stayed on this side before I called the front desk to ask when the noise ended. "She thought it might slow down in a while". There was no warning nor price reduction for the room, even tho I'm writing this at 1:30 am with the party still going strong. I've called the police to lodge a noise complaint - it is quite ridiculous, as there is an impromptu video game competition being waged with amplifiers and full size screen in a parking lot outside my window. The hotel did nothing to stem the noise to keep its guests happy.

*Housekeeping has been wierd the last few times too. This time - no soap. Not just once, but the entire stay. But they kept replentishing the moisturizer. They also came in while I was gone for dinner and turned on the air conditioning to 60C (it is currently 5C outside, and heating is needed, not A/C!). Needless to say, it took a while to warm up.

a few other minor drawbacks
*no recycling program in the rooms
*no cordless phone, which is needed in some rooms in which the phone is not at all close to the bed
*glass showers leak water to the bathroom floor, means a very wet floor

it might be trendy, it might look nice - but stay elsewhere unless you need to be on Whyte.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank yvrtogo

Dear yvrtogo,

Thank you for your compliments on our décor, comfortable beds and complimentary guest amenities.
We are currently making changes to our valet service in order to improve on our service delivery. Your concerns with regard to Guest Services, Housekeeping and Maintenance have been addressed with Managers. Training is underway to correct deficiencies.
Since your review we have added recycle containers to all guestrooms and have been awarded with four “Green Keys” by the Hotel Association of Canada’s Eco-Rating Program. Please accept my apology as your stay was clearly not in keeping with the standards in which we, at the Metterra operate within.

Jane Barrigan Jess

Reviewed April 27, 2009

I met a friend here to spend a nice getaway weekend in Edmonton and I absolutely love this hotel. For the way I travel, this hotel couldn't be in a better location being right in the heart of Whyte Ave. This beautiful boutique hotel is in very close proximity of some excellent restaurants, pubs and unique shopping experiences (not to mention a Chapters a half block away).

Oh Yeah...and Free Wireless Internet!!!!
Every night (except for Sunday) they have a wine and cheese tasting in the beautiful lounge area where you can relax and mingle with other guests if you want. The wines they served were exquisite and not cheap which I appreciated very much. I have experienced some better continental breakfasts in my travels but it was still quite good and selection was decent...and oh yeah...LOVE the cappucino machine!!!!

A short drive and you are at the South Common development which has some great outlet shopping for Canada and a big Ciniplex Odeon movie theatre.

After finally experiencing this unique hotel experience (I've tried to get in a couple of times and to no avail), I just have two small complaints. For such a classy, modern and boutique feel of the hotel I found the front desk staff a little unprofessional at times. Whenever I had to make inquiries, such as getting the valet service or asking directions, I got the impression that I was bothering them even though most of the time it seems like they are doing nothing but standing there. The second issue I had was the whole valet/parking service they have. Which is understandable considering that they are in the heart of the most busy street in all of Edmonton but it can get a little irritating to try and drop off your car for the valet service because there is absolutely no place to park.

Anyways, issues aside I would definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel to couples or business people. Wouldn't quite recommend for families.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2009

Very nice hotel, rooms are clean and modern. Location in horrible. You think oh perfect a nice hotel right on Whyte Ave. There is NO parking. They have an unloading zone in front of the Hotel for about half a block but the 2 nights we stayed there it was impossible to find a spot. So we had to unload all our bags way down the street and we were parked illegally to do so as close as we did. All cars have to be parked by the valet. They seem a little grumpy to have to go and pick your car up from a few blocks away to park it for you, but hey then get some parking. We did find out the second night that there is a parking lot that hotel guests can use but it is 3 blocks away and is littered with broken vehicle windows in the parking lot. To sum it up it is a very nice hotel with nice rooms and lot's of shopping and restaurants around, however we will never stay here again unless for some reason we are arriving in a taxi and do not have a vehicle to worry about.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 9, 2009

We stayed at this hotel in January at the same time as another reviewer... during the cold snap and fire alarm. When we arrived I was pleased with the hotel, it is well designed and in a great location... The room was large and modern. What you expect from a boutique hotel. We had a wonderful evening, dining at a near by restaurant and looking at the shops . Just after heading to bed we were awoken by the fire alarm. We dashed down the stairs along with the rest of the sleepy eyed patrons. We could see and smell smoke coming out of one of the floors fire exits. When we got to the ground floor there was no one to instruct us on what was happening. No manager or anybody who seemed to know what was going on. We all just stood there, my husband and I stood outside for a bit... didn’t want to stand in a burning building. After the firemen got there, we moved inside and watched as a group of obnoxious teenagers yelled at each other, hit on the firemen and attempted to return to their room. They were obviously drunk or high and without tact. The only hotel staff I saw was standing at the front desk looking like a dear in the headlights. Not once did they offer any explanation, or instruction. Two of the teenagers got all the way to the top of the stairs (on the second floor) before what I can only assume was a security guard half heartedly stopped them. This was before we were told it was a false alarm and it was safe to return to our rooms. I don’t believe it was a false alarm though, there was visible smoke and the smell. We concluded it smelt like gun powder and that it may have been a firework. The following morning there was no explanation or even mention of the event. I will not complain about having to get out of bed, or that the fire alarm went off in the first place. I am a reasonable person and would rather be aware of the impending fire... even if it is a false alarm. I do however think how it was handled was less then poor. I read the managers response to the other reviewer and am glad that this was talked about with the staff. Compassion though would be my last concern. I worked at the Sheraton Eu clair a number of years ago and we had a procedure that ensured the safety of our customers and staff. It didn’t seem as if there was a procedure at the Metterra. I understand evacuations are rare, but it should absolutely be something handled properly and safely. I watched others check out the following morning and not once did I see the checkout desk mention the alarm. It was as if the staff had no idea what had happened... I would like to stay at this hotel again, great prices, location and accommodation, but unfortunately I don’t feel the service was what it should be. Especially in a circumstance like that one...

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple