“good, but not as great as I remember”

Metterra Hotel on Whyte
Ranked #5 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Calgary Alberta
“good, but not as great as I remember”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is a 3rd return visit for us. The 2 previous visits were 4-5 years ago. We had enjoyed before and specifically looked up the Metterra for this 2 night trip. Check out the CHOICES special offer - 3 different choices if you stay 2 nights in a row during a specific portion of the week. Originally we hoped to stay 2 nights and get the third free - really good deal and would make it worth it to pay the higher hotel price, especially for Thur night ( compared to Fri ). The 50% off a second room is really fab. In the end, we took the room upgrade, the lowest benefit in my opinion.

The good: great location, very good breakfast, love the wine and cheese (every day except Sunday I think). The bathroom products are really lovely. The room décor is nice.

The not-as-good: I was disappointed on this visit by a few things. We stayed in room #409, a water room. My husband said the jetted tub didn't really seem to do anything. This side of the building has the building air conditioner / air exchange unit outside (not sure what it is called). We didn't notice it right away when we checked in. It wasn't a big problem and the constant white noise masked street noise, so perhaps that was actually better for us. The drapes didn't close, so we asked for some paper clips from the front desk for our second morning. This helped but this room gets a lot of light in the morning, even when the drapes are closed. The bed is soft and we prefer a firm bed. They could use a soap dish in the bathroom by the sink. Instead I put a face towel down to keep the counter from being a mess.

Probably the soft beds will have us looking elsewhere next time we come to Edmonton. We should ask if some rooms have firm beds ( we did not ).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tammy_and_Brent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed at The Met for two nights and had a lovely time! The hotel is modern and clean, and the front end staff were so helpful. The beds were comfortable, and the location was awesome. The best thing about the hotel was the delicious breakfast that was included in the price of the room! Great selection of breakfast items. I was unable to take advantage of the free wine and cheese, but that seemed like another nice touch. The only complaints we had was the level street noise and lack of close parking. Although they do offer complimentary valet parking, the loading zone in front of the hotel is very busy and hard to find a spot. They really do everything that they can to ensure the traffic is moving, and it was a minor inconvenience. As many reviews have stated before, it is noisy. You are on a very busy street with many bars and restaurants. Bring earplugs and it will not be an issue, but be warned that it can be very loud. A small price to pay to be right in the action. I would definitely stay at this hotel if I was in Edmonton again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank trvl_lvr26
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I recently stayed at Meterra Hotel on Whyte and I was most impressed with every aspect of my stay. Everything from the complimentary valet parking, the daily wine and cheese, and the lovely breakfast far exceeded my expectations. I stayed in the standard room and it was very nice with every amenity. The location is perfect and the staff very friendly and helpful. We were concerned about returning to Calgary due to flooding and they held a room for us, allowing us to cancel at the last minute with so charge. Most gracious! Thank you. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was heading to Edmonton for work for a few days, and had originally booked into a larger hotel. My colleague suggested we tried Metterra as it was closer to where we were working. What a terrific little hotel this is: A selection of rooms that are very nicely appointed; free valet parking (very handy), a (free) wine and cheese tasting each evening; a complimentary breakfast with everything from waffles and oatmeal to fresh fruit, eggs, bacon, sausages, and a very good espresso machine. The front desk staff were friendly, helpful, and the housekeeping staff were also great!

I have found a new place to stay in Edmonton, and I will make it my first choice from hereon in. My only slight niggle was the noise from the bars out on Whyte Avenue. I think next time I will ask for a room that doesn't face the street.

Room Tip: Pick a room that doesn't face onto Whyte Avenue to avoid the noise from the bars at night.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
sskatoon
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The Metterra Hotel in Old Stratchona is great. The rooms are spacious with big windows, we had a view of downtown. The free valet service was excellent, never had to worry about parking the car as we were in and out a few times. The staff was friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast was very good with more food than "usual" continental

Room Tip: we requested a room away from Whyte Avenue, it was very quiet
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank marjelaine a
Regina, Canada
Reviewed June 16, 2013

First time staying at the Metterra. What a wonderful hotel. Clean updated rooms. Friendly staff. Great location, walked everywhere (farmers market, resteraunts, bars, neat shopping venues). Wine and cheese tasting before a night out was a great way to start the evening. We loved it. If ever we are back in Edmonton I would surely stay at the Metterra again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
saskatoon
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Girlfriends and I stayed here during a recent shopping trip. The hotel was great. Complimentary breakfast and wine tasting was a great add on. We enjoyed our room and the area was funky and fun to walk and shop.

• Stayed June 2013