“A professional manager”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Miami, Florida
“A professional manager”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

It's hard to get a hotel manager to answer the phone, let alone personally help a guest - but that's just what hotel manager, Dawn Li did for me. I had a travel date problem and she quickly sorted out my problem.

Fantastic service!

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I spent 3 weekday nights at this hotel during some training in Edmonton. The hotel far exceeded my expectations. It is located right in the heart of trendy Whyte Avenue, and across from the fantastic Italian restaurant Chianti's, in the old post office. My room unexpectedly had a huge balcony overlooking Whyte, which my colleagues and I enjoyed in the evenings. The breakfast had LOTS of options, and the wine tasting in the evening was a nice treat. Overall, very impressed. I'll be back, and I'll be recommending this hotel to others.

1 Thank tman76
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We rented two rooms for five nights at the Metterra. Although the staff was acting correctly and even if there was a nice wine tasting everyday, this is one of my worst stays in a hotel. We asked (as usual) a room as quiet as possible, when booking two months in advance. We got a room on the 7th floor between Whyte (which becomes a real highway at night, not mentioning the bars and the terribly noisy motorcycles) and the elevators!!! No matter how we asked, nothing was done.
As a matter of fact, when we asked if we could have a quieter room, the staff answered that all the rooms are the same; according to what they said, the rooms in the back are even noisier since there is, they say, some kind of noisy fan there. From what I read on my decibel meter on my IPhone, the noise in our room reached a level of 100 at 2 in the morning. So if you want to sleep, I guess you better choose another hotel...
On the contrary of what was advertised, did not get upgraded, nor did we get the rebates promised in the promotions section of the website when booking two rooms for more than three days. All we got is the noise and the pricy rooms. It also has to be known that what is pretentiously called a "water room" is in fact a standard room with a shower (no bath), sure a large shower, but with no more pressure of water than in a standard room, it does not change a thing. I can only suppose what could be so special in an earth room or a fire room, as they call it...

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
1 Thank 259LKM259
Dawn L, General Manager at Metterra Hotel on Whyte, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear 259LKM259,

We are sorry your stay with us was not an exceptional one. We apologize that you found the rooms too noisy at night. While we love our lively location it can be a bit frustrating in the evenings. To help remedy this, we offer earplugs in all the rooms to ease the sounds of the Whyte Avenue traffic. Some guests do find the rooms at the back to be less noisy but it is a personal preference.

We are sorry that you did not receive the promotion that you booked. We would be happy to remedy that on your next stay with us.

The Water Rooms either feature a jetted tub or spa shower with large showerhead and body spray showerheads. We are sorry you did not find the spa shower to be more enjoyable, as it is a guest favourite.

Thank you for your feedback as it is important to us to make sure we are giving our guests the best possible experience. Please contact me directly, as we'd be happy to ensure your personal preferences are attached to your guest profile so we can select the perfect room for you next time. We would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Dawn Li
MB, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed at the Metterra recently because I was attending a conference in town. Check in was quick and easy as was checking out. I arrived just in time for the nightly wine tasting, I enjoyed some snacks and a glass of wine, all complimentary.

The rooms were large and included all the amenities promised on their website, including a snack bar (most snacks were in the $2 range). I didn't order room service, but two hotels across the street service their room service. The bathroom is very spacious and had a large bathtub. The bed was comfortable.

It's location on Whyte Ave is surrounded by shops, restaurants and pubs. However, that comes with a lot of noise at night, especially if your window directly faces Whyte Ave.

My only complain was that I actually didn't make my reservation for this hotel. My conference was at their sister hotel, The Varscon. I called the number I was given my conference organizers (which seems to be the same reservation number for both hotels) and when I received my confirmation, it was for the Varscona. When I called back, the block of rooms for our conference was sold out so I had no choice but to stay at the Metterra where the rates were higher. In the end it was worth it.

The staff is very attentive and friendly. Also noteworthy is their business centre which houses two computers and a printer you can access at any time, which is good because the wifi was spotty and stopped working altogether at times on the 8th floor. I definitely would return to this hotel!

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the flakier the wifi.
Canada
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Great service, great rooms, attentive staff, great location. I cannot ask for more in a hotel, especially at this price. The rooms are beautifully appointed. I was under the weather while visiting, so it was so nice to not have to worry about a thing, relax and feel coddled. The staff were wonderful - thank you so much for everything. Business centre, fitness centre, limo service to the university, as taxis are challenging in this area of town. The street outside is lively with lots of interesting places to shop and eat. Had no problems with the internet - great connectivity - telconferences, uploading and downloading documents, no issues whatsoever. Some may not like the mix of students, young families, and, yes a few homeless - personally I like this much better than a quiet empty downtown.

1 Thank deliciao
Calgary
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stay at this hotel quite often when visiting my daughter. The location is very good, you can walk to shops and restaurants. The hotel is fairly small and unique, they have a great free breakfast every morning along with a wine tasting around dinner time. The rooms are nice and fairly roomy. The staff has always been nice and I have enjoyed staying at this hotel. I would also recommend it for business travellers. The only drawback if it's important is there is no actual restaurant in the hotel, you can get room service from a few nearby restaurants that will deliver to the hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms I've stayed in have been nice. I just stayed in a large suite which had a living...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Alberta
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Have stayed here many, many times, the location just can not be beat. We always book an air suite and request one with the patio overlooking Whyte. It is fantastic people watching. Get to the comp breakfast early or there will be no food left. Their comp WiFi is very flaky and last time we could not connect at all. Not a big deal for a night out, but business travellers may be frustrated.

Room Tip: Request an air suite overlooking Whyte if you enjoy people watching!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple