“I dream of poutine”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Victoria, Canada
“I dream of poutine”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I was thrilled when La Poutine opened. I am a little obsessed with poutine. Here's the lowdown: the fries are fried twice (as they should be), there is a choice between Western or Quebec style gravy and the cheese curds are squeaky. There is even a vegan option (incl vegan gravy). I personally veer a bit from the traditional and go for the "supreme". Bacon bits, sour cream, green onions, gravy...load it on I say! They are open till 10pm (one day, hopefully, they'll open for the 2am crowd as well). Parking, like anywhere on that block, is a pain but it's on a main transit route and an easy walk to wherever you were going on Whyte Ave anyway. Also, there is only a couple of tables (and two outdoors in the summer).

• Visited July 2012

Edmonton, Canada
“Good thing it was a nice day and we could sit outside!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Instead of going away for the weekend, my husband and I decided to explore places in the city. We went for a long walk through Old Strathcona and decided to have lunch at La Poutine since we have driven by it so many times. We had our son with us and since there are only 2 tables and a counter with four seats in the entire place, we had to eat outside so it was a good thing that the weather was nice! I ordered The Cowboy and my husband ordered the Quebecois and both were delicious! They were definitely both better than the standard poutine that you get at places like New York Fries or A & W and the BBQ Sauce and the chicken on the Cowboy was a nice change from normal. I wouldn't go out of my way to make a special trip back there but if I happened to be in the area, I would go back. There were lots of other kinds on the menu that I wanted to try as well. Only wish there was more seating!

• Visited September 2012
“Delicious, but on a busy street.”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We heard that we had to try poutine when we visited Canada from the U.S. It was delicious with generous portions. I don't think we can duplicate it back home, since the cheese curds would be hard to find. They had that special "squeek" on your teeth consistency, which can't be duplicated. Anyway, the place is very small, with just a few small tables inside. Also parking is very difficult. We had to park a block away in the residential area, but it was so worth it. The Cowboy and Granny's Poutine was delicious and filling. Wish they had it here in California.

Visited August 2012
Edmonton, Canada
“Delicious!”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Now, of course you can't eat poutine all the time, but when you get the craving this is the perfect spot to go! Portions are large and there is a lot of variety in what you can order. The poutine is just delicious - I usually just get the 'regular' one. My only complaint is that there's not a lot of seating in the restaurant, so it's best to plan for a take-out in case you can't find a spot. But definitely worth a visit!

• Visited March 2012
Alberta
“Loved the Poutine”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I read about this tiny restaurant in the Edmonton Journal that sells Poutine just like in Quebec and had to try it out. We had the Traditional Poutine and enjoyed it very much -- better than other Poutine we have had. My husband wants to try the other types of Poutine that are on the menu in future visits. The restaurant is small with limited seating but they have a table outside in the summer. It was busy when we were there as it was lunch time but they filled orders in a timely manner. Service was very friendly. It can be difficult to find parking if it is a busy time of day but it is worth it take the time to look for a parking spot and walk a block or two to the restaurant just to enjoy some very good Poutine.

• Visited June 2012