“Very Surprised”

Ranked #39 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Edson
“Very Surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2009

I had to attend a meeting at Northlands and googled a hotel close and came up with the coliseum. When i arrived I had heard it was older but was surprised to see such a bright new lobby. We went up to our room to much delight they had been completed renovated. they were great. When i asked the front desk if all their rooms were like this advised the hotel has been undergoing renovations and will continue until all rooms are done. It was nice to see such a clean property.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Grande Prairie Alberta Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2009

I Have stayed at the inn for years usaly several time per.  It has always been very convenient for the many events I frequent.  The last 2 times I have stayed ,the renevations have been under way and the place is looking great. The last time i even got a new room it was fantastic.  This place is a fantastic value.  Its nice that they are giving it a much need facelift, we all need a little tlc once and  awhile.  I will be back thanks.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
edm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2009

The location is great. There is a great restaurant and nightclub, and right across the street from Rexall for concerts. the LRT is walking distance.The staff were very friendly and helpful. They accomodated very well to our needs. There are some newly renovated rooms that are beautiful. Can't go wrong with the price.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Calgary, Alberta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2009

My bestfriend and I stayed here for one night for a concert at Rexall Place across the street. The location is great because it is literally across the street from Rexall Place. The room had a bedside lamp in between the beds that was busted in half. When we got back from the concert that night, the night club downstairs was so loud that we could here the music all the way up to the third floor. It didn't stop till 2am. When I crawled into my bed one of my pillows smelt like mens cologne. I was really grossed out. My friends bed had dirty sheets as well. I have to say that it was in a great location but can't say that I will ever stay there again. The service at the front desk was good and I am sure if I had complained they would have accomadated us.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Krista84
Alberta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2008

As we were attending the gift show this summer, we chose one of the "preferred" hotel recommendations from the gift show booking agents........upon arriving we noticed "unusual" characters around the hotel! SCARY We proceeded to check in and discovered that 1. our reservation was lost 2. were not given the "preferred" rate , so by this time we were nervous to say the least. We went to our room, and upon exiting the elevator discovered beer cans in the hallways, cigarettes put out in the carpet, and holes in the walls, we should have ran for our lives then, but not knowing where else to go, we thought it couldn't get worse.........WE WERE WRONG!! Our room was filthy, holey, smelly, and had no air conditioning in 34 degree weather. You don't want to open the window due to unusual characters outside (even when you're on the 3rd floor). We went downstairs to request a new room and they put us in worse!! However at least the air conditioning worked. BUT the door wouldn't close. At the end of our long day at the Gift show we wanted a relaxing drink and an edible meal........we have never seen or smelled wine that was so deplorable. At least Shmirnoff is served in a bottle!! The menu had approx. 3 items on it, but if you are over 6 years old.......you wouldn't enjoy it! It cost us $40 in cab fare to get to a decent restaurant and a glass of WHITE wine! (not orange.....) We had no sleep what-so-ever due to the lovely bar downstairs which on a Sunday blares music until 2am. In the morning, we thought we would try "brunch", we couldn't get past the "coffee"(hot brown water) so we didn't stay, but......we were lucky enough to witness a drug deal go down in the lobby!! Lucky us!!! We chose to end our business trip that day instead of having to suffer from another night there. I feel horrible for the poor basketball team that arrived when we were leaving.
Therefore we feel it would be against your best interests to ever cross over the threshold of the Colliseum Inn. If you are desperate and can't find anywhere else to stay when you are attending a function at Rexall or Northland Park........I would recommend staying in Red Deer or Calgary and making the commute!!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Arriving
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank bizowners
ITap5678
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2008

This hotel was VERY dirty and everything was broken--lamps/refrigerators/toilets. The towels were a gross color of stained gray and the sheets not much better. It appears that the hotel was built in the '50s and the sheets/towels/toilets/coffee makers/mattresses/furniture/carpet/etc. have not been replaced or washed since then! When asking the front desk for certain things they were clueless. They seemed to think it was ok to stay in a room with a broken toilet, then again with a hole in the door where the peep hole should have been. And did I mention the bed bugs...

Stay here at your own risk! What a waste of money!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Service, Rooms, Everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank ITap5678
Calgary Alberta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2008

OMG!! OMG!! I have never written a review about a hotel before but this one is scary....I stayed at this hotel in Spring of 2008. This was not my choice of hotels but was booked by a hair school competition. I was sent to my room where the air conditioning was barely working, I tried to open a window, later to find that they had screwed most windows shut due to patrons throwing mattresses out the windows when the Oilers had lost games. One of our young girls doors to their room would lock from the inside but then they would not open to allow them to leave. The hotel staff suggested that we leave the door open a crack all night and they would have someone patrol the hallway. This did not happen. Please do not, I repeat, do not stay at this hotel. It is the most deplorable hotel that I have ever stayed in and I have stayed and enjoyed many hotels in the U.S. and Canada.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank momsmail