“Way better than expected!”
Review of Coliseum Inn

Coliseum Inn
Ranked #43 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
alberta
“Way better than expected!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed at the Coliseium Inn for a show at Rexall Place which is across the street. We were very pleasantley surprised. The lobby is very, very nice, and so was our room. We were on the 7th floor and it looks like it's all been renovated. The rooms were very tastefully decorated, beds were very nice to sleep on, and a Keurig in the room for coffee as well. Very nice stay, and great rates. I would recommend more to couples, or for business travelers only because of the area, as it is not the best, but the hotel was GREAT!!

Room Tip: There is a bar attached, so a higher floor might be a better room to stay away from the noise, as we...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank lmcalberta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Arrived at 6pm and our room still had not been cleaned. Parking was awful as there was a concert across the road that night and they sell parking spots for events so we ended up in the back corner of the worst parking lot. We had resered a King size bed but this was not available. Good thing we booked 4 months in advance. The room was non smoking but stunk of smoke. Room was below average with the ceiling in the bathroom kind of rotting away. As a carpenter I could see untrained staff had tried to repair room problems with the wrong methods and cheap materials just making a mess that is going to cause larger problems in the future. We went out for the night and upon returning found a intoxicated individual trying to kick down the door across the hall from us. Security arrived and while dragging the man out he passed out on the floor. Security then left him there to go and deal with other disputes taking place on other floors. I looked after the man for the better part of an hour until security returned. We managed to sleep for about two hours when the intoxicated man awoke and resumed trying to kick down the door across the hall from my room. Then the police arrived and had a rather long strugle with this intoxicated man. There was so much noise that we never slept after 4am for the rest of the night. The next morning the shower only had cold water and there was no manager on sight to speak with. The front desk assured me that a manager would call me and we would discuss a discount for our horrid stay. A week later no manager had called so I tried calling the manager. Three phone calls in three weeks and no response. My credit card bill shows that I was charged full rate for the room. I'm still trying to reach the manager with no luck. I am starting to wonder if this person really exists? Sleeping in a back alley downtown in the snow may have been a more peaceful stay. A good setting for a crazy, dramatic reality show.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Justin S
vcrystal, General Manager at Coliseum Inn, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for your response on Trip Advisor I understand your frustration and the miscommunication between front desk and myself however I hope we resolved it to your satisfaction . From your response I can see that Coliseum Inn may not be the right fit for you, we are truly hoping to have the remaining floors renovated by July 2013 and at that time we will not have any older rooms and every guest that stays with us will have excellent accomodations.. Regarding the incident with the intoxicated person he was not a guest on the property and again I do appreciate your assistance.
Regarding the parking lot, we do apologize that you felt you parked in the back of the parkade however we do have enough stalls to accommodate all of our guests in the hotel.

Thank you again and we definately hope to see you return back to our hotel.

Sincerely
Crystal GM
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed December 12, 2012

By the reviews this hotel has either been loved or hated. I think it depends on the hotels you usually stay at that will influence how you feel about this one. Also which room/floor you end up with is really going to effect the rating. Some rooms/floors have been renovated and some not. We had 4 rooms booked recently for an event. The smoking rooms were on the 3rd floor, the non-smoking on the 4th. Seems the non-smoking rooms are the renovated ones.

The smoking rooms definately needed updating but were not the worst and were clean. On both of these floors there was definately noise from the nightclub.

The couple on the forth floor asked about moving to a higher floor as the noise was a disturbance. The super-accomodating staff moved them to a suite (no extra charge) on the 7th floor that was very nice and the noise was much less apparent.

The staff at the lounge were super helpful and gracious. As were all the security that ensure guests had a safe walk inside and outside. Which by the way has no merit on the hotel or neighborhood. If you travel around you will find many hotels that employ security that can be found in the elevetors, lobby, hallways, outside. Both high and low end hotels. As for the sketchy neighborhood it's really not. Sure there are a few people walking around that may look shady but no more so than any other part of this city or most cities. And as a matter of fact I used to live quite close to here (and have friends that still do) when I was a lot younger, would walk around at night and never had an issue. It's perception.

This is very convenient to events taking place at Rexall or Northlands. I would suggest that this hotel is more geared towards friends or couples and not so much families or seniors simply because of the bar and noise. But I don't believe it is a hotel you have to steer clear from. For the rate it's a good value and good choice if you are attending an event near by. If you are used to staying at the Best Western or higher I would guess that this isn't the hotel for you.

Side Note: As an added bonus they had a Kuerig type coffee maker that most of us were excited about.

Room Tip: Ask for the 7th floor. Renovated.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hinton, Canada
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Me and some friends got some chili pepper tickets. Booked a room there for the convience. I was so happy to learn it was right accross the street! When we went to go check in the lineup was insane! I was expecting the staff to be short because of it however they were super nice! The room was great. It was clean and in my price budget which was also a bonus. Next morning the manager helped me with getting back home. Will definitaly be back for my next visit!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hinton, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Had a great stay here. Rooms were cheap and much better than some of the places ive stayed. They were clean and fully stocked as they should be and the location is awesome whether youre there for an event or not. Service was efficient and friendly and i would definately stay again when im in Edmonton.

Room Tip: Higher floors provide more insulation from the ambient lounge noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lance k
Regina, Canada
Reviewed November 30, 2012

What a complete and utter waste of money. Stay away an keep your sanity. We are on the fourth floor and the music is bumping. I rang te front desk to ask what time the music will finish to be told that they will send a message to turn the music down. I think they turned it up.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Saskwelsh
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Not only did the pictures of the rooms deceive themselves, but hearing the bar through the floors, on the 3rd floor and having the room vibrate was down right awful. Having room service knock on the door and walk in while we were sleeping at 8am was a shock. When we ordered a movie because we couldn't sleep, and it didn't work, we called the front desk and simply got a, and I quote, "it's not working, sorry dude"....and you call that customer service?
I would never recommend this place, even for the homeless! I'd rather have slept in the truck in -22 degrees with no heat.
I'm so disappointed. And even when checking out noone asked how our stay was, and when I made my own comment noone seemed to care enough to acknowledge it.

Such a shame.