“Great location”

Courtyard Edmonton Downtown
Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Was in town on business and this hotel had everything I needed. Workspace with lots of plugs including a hardwire connection to the internet (getting to be rare these days). Brought magicjack which always works better with a wired connection, so I always appreciate that option. Great view of the river from my room, good breakfast too. My experience was very good, and very different than that of anyone complaining about this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

ATL-RES-2012,
Thank you for taking a moment to write a review. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at Courtyard Edmonton while in town on business. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit and found our value added amenities well suited for your travel needs. Thank you again for writing. We hope you’ll visit us again soon.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Had a good experience in May 2012, but this stay was very disappointing.

Bed was hard, and the mattress cover had blood spots on it. There was hair on the bathroom vanity.

Fortunately, I worked out at the YMCA and showered there so did not have to avail myself of the facilities. I was so tired I only noticed the bed in the morning.

My room happened to be poorly positioned, right above the hotel sign. All night I had light in my room and heard delivery trucks backing into the loading dock.

Was very glad to check out in the morning. Mentioned the problems in the room to the person at reception, and was offered free breakfast. Had to decline, but appreciated the offer.

Service upon check in was non-plussed to say the least.

This may have been an isolated experience, but it was not a good one.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

curvygurl,
Thank you for your review. It is unfortunate to hear that you did not have a satisfying stay with us. We sincerely apologize that the cleanliness of your room was not met with our excellence in service, and that we were unable to provide you with the exceptional stay you’ve come to expect from us. I will be sure to discuss this review with our housekeeping staff and heighten our awareness of such issues. Your feedback provides many areas that we can work on in order to improve our guest experience. We appreciate your feedback on these areas and hope you will return and see our improvements. Thank you again.

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful and convenient location. The service was excellent. Rooms were very clean, impressive, and comfy. Hard to reach them via phone. Got put on hold twice for ten minutes before I tried again. When I finally got thru, the lady was helpful. Parking is expensive for overnight until 9am. Guess no sleeping in for us. Would stay at hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2013
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Lanceandjess,
We’re happy to hear from you, and we’re glad you had a pleasant stay with us at Courtyard Edmonton. We appreciate your complimentary feedback on our hotel and our staff’s excellence in service. Please plan to visit us again soon the next time you travel to Edmonton. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

First the good: the room was a good size and quiet, the beds were comfortable, and there were enough accessible electrical outlets for charging phones etc.

The bad: the bathroom was tiny, with very little counter space. But more disappointing was the transaction itself and the response to the resulting complaint. I purchased the room through a common "blind purchase" arrangement where I could not see the hotel name and therefore could not check out details prior to the purchase. When we arrived, the hotel charged an extra $23 for parking a car over a Saturday night!!!! Ridiculous.

I expressed the concern to the front desk staff. They didn't see any problem with a surprise charge of that amount. After all, most people pay more for the room. Oh well, that's just the front desk. I submitted a complaint to Marriott's Customer Care, who actually responded very quickly saying that they knew I was still in the room and I could expect a call from the on call manager very quickly. Well, that's a good response! But then nothing. I contacted Customer Care again and again they sent a message to the hotel management.

Hotel management responded by email on Monday essentially saying "yes that's how it is...too bad...hope we can serve you again next time". Pardon? Another note back to Customer Care resulted in the same loop.

I really think a surprise charge of that amount (any amount actually) is a reasonable complaint, and
I am surprised they did not reverse it. Of course they depend on the fine print on the intermediary's contract language saying the hotel may have additional charges for additional services. In my opinion that argument is a non-starter. That might be fine for mini-bar usage etc...but not for a charge that they know is going to occur and is that material.

I won't stay there again. Even if I was aware of the parking price, the parking situation there is poor. Between that and the tiny washroom...and the attitude of the hotel management...I cannot recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GHStevenson
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

GHStevenson,
Thank you for your review. I’m glad you found the rooms spacious and comfortable during your visit. It’s unfortunate to hear that you were not informed of the parking fee on the reservation site prior to your arrival. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and frustrations you experienced during your stay. We value you as our guest and hope you will have an opportunity to visit us again.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

The Marriott Courtyard on the east edge of downtown Edmonton was a surprisingly nice place. Its in a renovated office tower and is now billed as a boutique hotel. From the outside its pretty boring, but they've done a nice overhaul inside.

The room was nice - large, bright and recently renovated. Lots of room to set up and do work, and a very impressive view out over the river valley. The bed was comfortable, and the room was clean.

There is a restaurant and bar in the hotel, which seemed to be pretty empty, but the menu was nice and the food was of good quality (although the usual hotel pricing applies, so better values are to be found elsewhere).

If attending something at the convention centre, its right next door - doesn't get much better than that. If working downtown its a short walk to anything in the core. As its on the edge of downtown, the pricing is a bit more reasonable than hotels a couple of blocks over.

The valet parking is the best bet, especially in the winter as its in the covered garage next door.

Now that I've found this place, I'll stay again the next time I need to be up in Edmonton for a few days.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dive-Bike-Backpack,
Thank you for taking a moment to write a review on your stay with us at the Courtyard. It’s great to hear that we exceeded your expectations, and you enjoyed your stay in our spacious and comfortable rooms. We enjoyed having you as our guest and look forward to seeing you the next time you’re visiting Edmonton. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is one of the few chain hotel in Edmonton downtown that's under $200/night. It's up to par with other Courtyards I have visited. Clean. No weird smell. Furniture is a bit old but not bad. You get good night's sleep.

The hotel staff, while friendly, are not really knowledgeable about how the place runs. For example, I've requested laundry bags and got trash bags instead.

But all in all, I would stay here again. If you are lucky, you can get a nice view of the river.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

gogoldenbears,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate hearing from you and receiving your feedback. I’m pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us at Courtyard Edmonton. We value you as our guest and hope you’ll visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

This hotel looks a little run-down from the outside, not very pleasant and welcoming. Needs a facelift. Inside however, it's clean and bright and modern looking. Lounge and restaurant are comfortable, with great views of the River Valley. I was given a room on the 5th floor, overlooking the River Valley. The room itself was in the corner, so a little oddly laid out, but serviceable. The bed was terrible. Sagged in the middle, with springs that poked up. I spend 3 restless nights there before I finally moved hotels. I should have done something earlier, but I was on a business trip and was leaving early in the morning and returning late at night, and just didn't have the energy to move all my things to another room. After the 3rd night of tossing and turning, I realized I couldn't sleep in that bed anymore. I was planning to move to another hotel in a couple of days anyway, so decided to check out early. When I checked out, I mentioned the horrible bed to the Front Desk Clerk. She said that the rooms on the 6th floor and above had been renovated, but my floor had not. Wish I had known that when I checked in!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for one of the renovated rooms with a new bed.