“Poor & expenssive food, sloppy service”

Courtyard Edmonton Downtown
Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Rooms are below average with no room in the bathroom for anything. I can't understand their rates of $250 plus, Food is terrible. BLT with deli turkey for $13+ served on white bread with an olive and for $3 more their idea of a Caesar salad was 3 romaine lettuce leaves and an oil & vinegar dressing topped with a disk of melted cheese that tasted old. Red wine served too warm and overpriced. Breakfast service - crumbs of food on all the chairs and simple food, nothing special. Coffee was OK. I will not stay again. You would expect a Marriott to have a chef and exceptional food, rooms and service. Not so. They have a wonderful view from the bar and areas facing the river. Valet parking is the only option at $20+ per day.

Room Tip: Never had a good room after 4 or 5 stays there. Stay only because it was next door to the convention...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Donna M,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you staying with us at Courtyard. I apologize for your discontent with our Bristro prices. We value you as our guest and hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The room was just okay but small, the bathroom tiny (could wash your hands in the sink or your feet in the tub while seated on the toilet if you wanted to). The sink bowl felt as if it needed a good scrub even tough it looked clean. Hiding the hair dryer in the closet not much help when you start looking around the tiny bathroom for one. Not a lot of space for your own stuff in the bathroom as very limited shelf space around the sink.
Really needed a place to set up our second suitcase, we kept having to move it on and off the chair or the bed.
The Wifi was a little on the slow side but had a nice comfy computor chair at the desk.
Nice HDTV, too bad it resets to hotel channel every time you turn it off.
Found service in the restaurant slowish and the breakfast buffet not worth the cost, had to ask the waiter to refill it as just about everything in it was empty. Once it was semi refilled the lineup was long as most diners hadn't found much there on their first pass thru.
Handy having the standard coffee maker and small fridge in the room although hubby had to go down to lobby to get sugar and creamer for coffee in the morning.
Very handy hotel for downtown Edmonton but then there are lots of hotels in downtown to choose from, great view across the river from the resturant and that side of the hotel.
Our room had a stale off smell, couldn't decide if it was from the water or bed linens that had sat too long nothing some frebreeze (and or a good cleaning) wouldn't solve.
Wouldn't have been at all happy with the hotel if we had been paying the plus $300 dollar per-night price listed on the door, was barely worth the $130 range our room was charged out at.

Room Tip: If you can, get a room on the riverside of the hotel as the view is worth it. There is a washer/ dry...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

blueicats,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you staying with us at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown. I appreciate your feedback and will review your comments with our staff as we look for ways to improve our guest services. I hope you had a great time in downtown Edmonton and plan to return. If you do, we hope you'll stay with us again. Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights on business in February . The rooms are clean but the bathrooms are tiny. the bathroom door actually hits the sink when you open the door. Good breakfast at the buffet for approximately $15.00. free wifi and has a good signal strength. The beds are great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a larger bathroom if possible.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Luckyduck69,
Thank you for your review. We're glad you stayed with us at Courtyard while visiting Edmonton. I'm glad you liked our clean, comfortable rooms as well as our delicious breakfast buffet. Should your travels bring you back to our area, we hope you'll stop and visit us again.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Most of the hotel has been renovated and the new rooms are great. The staff were all fantastic and so helpfull. The restaurant has been totally revamped including the menu and staff. Great food at reasonabvle prices

Room Tip: A room on the back facing the river valley
1  Thank Yesforscotland

Aurorarocks,
Thank you for your review. We're glad you stayed with us at Courtyard and enjoyed your visit. I'm glad you liked our new look, terrific staff, and delicious food. Your compliments are appreciated, and we hope you'll come and visit us again soon. Thanks again.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Room was nice. What I would expect of a Marriott. Not quite as nice as London or Malaysia or Paris, but nice just the same. What I didn't expect was to buy 3 double lemon hart rums, and the 3rd one was from the bottom shelf. The service in the dining room was poor, I had to send my steak back. Ordered rare chicgo style, they couldn't cook it the way I wanted so just made due with out asking my opinion. My wife ordered rare prime rib and that came out medium. I certainly will not be going back to this Marriott any time soon.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Tisdale_ramblin_man,
Thank you for sharing a review about your recent stay with us. We sincerely apologize that we were unable to provide you with the exceptional stay you've come to expect from Courtyard. The little details definitely do make a trip and we regret we missed the mark during your trip. Your feedback provides many areas that we can work on in order to improve our guest experience. We appreciate your feedback on these areas and hope you will return and see our improvements. Thank you again.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Renovated rooms were a big draw here, as were the views and central location.

A good value and some nice room variety for frequent travelers, city or valley views.

Head next door to the Fairmont for an outstanding lounge and drinks after a busy, cold day.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

TFKinPS,
Thank you for your review. We're glad you stayed with us at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown. I'm glad your visit with us was pleasant and you liked our new look. Please plan to visit us again the next time you travel to Edmonton. Safe travels.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I've been coming to this hotel now for years for Teacher's Convention because of its location and I've really noticed that each year, it seems to be getting more expensive and the rooms are getting smaller and smaller. The room I had this year was tiny. My TV was broken and bless the poor maintenance guy that had to fix it! He was such a nice guy but it was very frustrating. I had left the hotel in the morning and told front desk about the problem and they sent someone but I honestly don't know how long the first guy looked at it. So when I got back to my room expecting a nice, relaxing break, I had to watch for an hour as a maintenance guy (who was really nice) fixed my TV. Why the first guy hadn't stayed with it until it was fixed, I don't know. The saving grace of this place is that the people working there are really nice. I know it isn't their fault for things breaking down but 2 days and close to $500 later, you expect a little better.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Lani B,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you staying with us at Courtyard each time you visit our area. I apologize for the TV not working in your room and for the disruption this caused you during your visit. I'm glad our staff was able to assist and you thought they were really nice. We value you as our guest and hope you'll continue to stay with us when traveling to Edmonton. See you soon.