Courtyard Edmonton Downtown
Union Bank Inn(Edmonton)
$138
Union Bank Inn
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsvalet parkingcourtyard marriottthe shaw conference centreoverlooking the rivercorner roomfront desk staffroom was spacious and cleanper daymain floortwo queen bedsbuffet breakfastbusiness tripconventionlinensconcertcanadamall
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Just back from a business trip to Edmonton. My wife and I stay at Marriott properties whenever possible but this was disappointing. The room itself was fine although we had to have our keys reprogrammed 3 times. Breakfast buffet was $14.99 - cold scrambled eggs and dry ham. The toast which you made yourself was fine as was the Starbucks coffee.

Dinner - fish and chips - was not bad but I have had better (interesting blueberry tartar sauce tho!) Wine selection wasn't bad but it was overpriced. I paid less on a cruise ship for a bottle of wine. A real bargain for dinner is at Cocoa's restaurant in the Delta Centre Suites (Chef special on the Thursday night was a 7oz STEAK dinner for $20 - and it was fabulous!)

The view from the patio bar at the Marriott was amazing, overlooking the North Saskatchewan River but that's not enough to stay there next time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Langsandy,

Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay with us at Courtyard. We’re happy to have had you and your wife stay with us on your recent trip to Edmonton. I’m glad you liked the room and mentioned the wonderful view from our patio bar. We value your business and hope you will come and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

A quick weekend overnight had us staying at this Courtyard for the first time. The location downtown is excellent and has a stunning view of the river valley. For a Courtyard to occupy this prime location is impressive and surprising. Unfortunately we could not dine / drink from the restaurtant and enjoy the river view and sunny weather as there was private function taking the space.

The hotel is downtown in a major city so there are some less fortunate people in the immediate area. When we arrrived we saw some poor soul rummaging in the garbage can immediately in front of the main entrance. I personally did not feel any concern but it is something to be aware of when walking around the location and when parking in the evenings. A room key is required to access the elevators and the front desk is immediately on the left as you enter the hotel.

There is a pay and park open lot immediately in front of the hotel but I would recommend the more secure valet option. Please note I make an assumption in writing that the valet is secure from the street. Like most downtown hotel valets the price is very steep, $28 in this case.

We had a spacious end room over looking the river. The web mentioned the hotel had done some room renos and upgrades and it was evident. A very bright, clean and functional room with a great view. We would definitely stay and recommend this location for those in Edmonton on work or play.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WMD66
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

DMW66,

Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about our hotel on TripAdvisor. I’m glad you liked our upgrades and I’m thrilled to read your recommendation to other viewers. We welcome you back to Courtyard and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights in July on business. Hotel was conveniently located and my room was spacious and clean. Had dinner two nights in the hotel restaurant and for a hotel the meals were pretty awesome. Plus the view is wonderful - we sat outside on their lovely patio and watched the boats on the river. We were very fortunate to enjoy beautiful weather while we were there which definitely helped the atmosphere. Here's an example of the type of service this hotel provided - we came back one day after the Edmonton Indy race where I was fortunate enough to represent a company who sponsored one of the winning cars. Shortly after returning a plate of fresh baked cookies was delivered to my room with congratulations written on it in chocolate. Now that's customer service!!! Will positively stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

3hundrd,

Congratulations again to you and your company for a winning car. We enjoyed having you stay with us and appreciate all of your kind compliments about our facility and staff. It is lovely here so we hope that other viewers will be encouraged by your review to stay with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

Good checkin, courteous and available staff. Rooms are nice but not special.
The terrace bar overlooking the River valley has wonderful views and is worth a stop.

Typical Courtyard Marriott, in other words very good as expected... except for one thing. The bathrooms are tiny... when you open the door you bang on the sink and when you are in you have to manoeuvre around. The bathroom is basically the size of a closet... and I am only 5ft 9 inches and weigh only 160 lbs. Not a large man at all and I found this much too small...

The toilet counter barely has enough space to put your personal effects on it.

The hotel is in a very good location, service excellent, newly renovated bar and outside terrace are wonderful... but the bathroom is tiny! And because of that I won't return to this particular hotel even thougth Marriott is my favourite hotel chain.

Room Tip: I took a room with two Queen beds as did my travel partner, both our rooms had very tiny bathrooms... very unusual in a North American, especially Marriott hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Summerchill,
It is nice to hear from you on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you mentioning our terrace bar view so that our future travelers know how spectacular it is. We’re happy to receive your compliments about our friendly staff and excellent service as well. I understand your view about our bathrooms. We offer our guests spacious rooms, comfortable beds, and exceptional staff assistance so I do hope you will return and stay with us again.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

This is pretty much what you expect from a Marriott Courtyard. The room was definitely on the small side - about a third the size of the one we had at the Westin down the block earlier in the week. Location is downtown and within walking distance of all the downtown stuff - Churchill Park, City Hall, Alberta Museum, Theater Complex, convention center, etc. Parking is valet only. It's cheaper and more convenient to park in the public lot right out the front door (C$15 overnight 'til 9 a.m.).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple