“A perfect base for exploring downtown Edmonton”

Courtyard Edmonton Downtown
Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I spent a weekend at the Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, and I was very impressed by what this hotel has to offer.

I had a room with a king bed overlooking the river valley, and the view was very impressive. Even the bathroom had a window with the same soaring view.

The room was comfortable, clean and well appointed. It had a flat-screen TV, a coffee maker, an in-room safe and a small desk. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was spacious and clean.

Note that this is an older hotel and it is a little bit worn out in places. My room carpet was uneven in some spots, and some furniture has scuff and scratch marks. On the whole it is very well kept, but it does not have a pristine, untouched feeling if that's what you're looking for.

The hotel itself has a nice little restaurant on the main floor - nice, but nothing fancy. The same can be said for the gym, which is on the 8th floor and features some treadmills, ellipticals, stair climber, bike and dumbbells. There is a small business center on the main floor and there is no charge for internet access.

The Courtyard's location is great. It is situated just off Jasper Avenue in close proximity to Churchill Square (the heart of downtown Edmonton) and very close to two LRT (subway) stations and multiple bus routes including the super-express bus to West Edmonton Mall. The only downside to the central location is the fact that parking is pricey in the hotel's lot, and alternatives are hard to find. To save a few bucks, I parked overnight on the street a few blocks away. It's easy enough to do that on a weekend, but weekdays will probably be trickier.

All things considered, I would happily come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
dheinlein, Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2011

Thanks for sharing your experience patrolman_pete! We love hearing from our guests and greatly appreciate your comments. I’m glad you enjoyed your weekend with us and hope you had a great time exploring all that downtown Edmonton has to offer.

Take care,

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Edmonton Downtown

Reviewed June 18, 2011

Finding the hotel is interesting. Once there, valet parking only ($22) and competent front desk staff check you in and up you go to your comfortable clean room. Location of the hotel is central CBD Edmonton, with easy access in all directions. With a well decorated river view room, it is quiet and scenic. Amenities included fridge, free internet, good assortment of cable channels on TV BUT no Fox News Channel, large bath/shower, iron and one cup coffee maker, and very comfortable beds. NO safe in the room. F&B in the main dining is good, and good value breakfasts taken overlooking the river. We did not check the gym, or business center. Overall a good stay with decent value for the location. Booked on the website for all inclusive 'deal'; parking, breakfast, room.

Room Tip: Visit the website for inclusive deals.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
dheinlein, Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2011

Thank you very much for your kind comments Ms. Bunker, we’re glad to hear from you and to know you enjoyed your stay with us. It’s great that you were able to take advantage of one of our special offers. Please know for future stays that there are safe deposit boxes which are kept secure behind the front desk. We hope to see you again soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed June 15, 2011

While check-in personnel were a little stiff - or was it me after 3 hours on the road? (Most of) the rest of my experience was quite good. Well located in the centre of downtown overlooking the river valley, the Courtyard offers pleasant accommodation at reasonable cost. Comfortable rooms, king-size bed and great pillows - a real bonus. But what is it with hotels and their seeming inability to offer up a good breakfast at reasonable cost? Although (much) better than the Westin's breakfast next door (and about 1/2 the price) it's still no prize. Lunch was worth hanging around for. And I think they must do their fries in rendered beef fat - either that or they've found a very tasty substitute.
Friendly staff throughout and (very good) complimentary morning coffee in the lobby made for a pleasant stay. Oh - almost forgot - FREE INTERNET!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Thanks very much for your review ThaiStick! We’re glad to know we were able to provide you a haven to enjoy after being on the road; it was our pleasure to have you stay with us. We’re also glad you enjoyed the fries at lunch, but I’m afraid the secret ingredient that makes so tasty must remain secret! Please come back to visit again soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed February 24, 2011

Upon entering the hotel it is evident you are in "downtown" Edmonton, as we learned several gang signs in the lobby. I would definetley did not feel comfortable checking in after dark. The rooms are HUGE and bedding very comfortable. Beautiful view of the river valley. The staff are typical of Alberta in that average service is given at best. Nothing deserving of tipping. During breakfast we asked a waitress to please ask a customer to stop dropping the F Bombs so loud, and we were told it was Ok, he was still drunk. Nice. If it were not for the nice rooms I would give the hotel a very poor rating. If the staff were to be trained in customer service and the riff raff cleaned up , this hotel could actually be a destination. Take the valet parking service. For the price it could ensure you have a vehicle to leave town with.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank coolpoolers
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Stayed here for two nights while attending an event and the Shaw Conference Centre. Rooms are spacious, well-appointed and comfortable. Free wifi, comfortable beds, excellent customer service. My room looked out onto Jasper Avenue, but my colleagues has an amazing room that faced east and looked out over the river valley and conference centre. The rate was reasonable, reservations were easy and we had a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
KellyAnn88, Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2011

Dear CentralABFamily,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I will let our customer service team know that you appreciated their service. I am glad you found our location
good for those attending the Shaw Conference Centre. I look forward to being of service to you again!

Truly yours,

Reviewed November 11, 2010

This hotel is in an older building, but it has been kept refurbished. I can't speak of all the rooms, but the king bed room I received was small. The breakfast buffet was good quality, but with very few choices that were the same every day.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Had booked this through Booking.com (from which I have booked before without problem) for a conference. I liked its close proximity to the Shaw Conference Center. I received the confirmation of booking from Booking.com one week prior.

I arrived at the hotel at 1 pm. When I tried to check in, I was told not to bother as no rooms were available until 3 pm. When I asked if I could do all the check in information and get my room card at 3 pm (I'll explain the significance later), again I was told not to bother.

I returned at 3 pm, and overheard a couple in front of me in line have problems with their reservation and reviewed my email confirmation with a sense of comfort. When I gave my name, I too was told that my name and reservation was not in the system. I showed my booking.com email reservation confirmation (again sent 8 days prior to the reservation), but was told that that site had 'forced' a room booking even though there were no rooms available.

I wondered why I hadn't been informed of this clear booking error in the preceding 7 days between the booking and the arrival date, to which I was told they did not have my contact information (I would assume they could get this from Booking.com?). The desk staff staff mentioned how she was told about this booking problem by her manager earlier in the day, and she was left to pick up the pieces. The hotel ended up booking a room for one night at a Ramada that was around a 5-10 min car drive away as well as taxi-fare to that hotel.

My overall comments about this experience:
1. Not sure if the problem was with Booking.com or the hotel. Maybe it's both. If Booking.com booked me in a room that didn't exist, I would think that the hotel would have noticed and in the 7 days prior have attempted to contact me. Booking.com had all my contact information so to say it wasn't accessible is NOT acceptable. If there is a communication issue between the hotel and Booking.com they NEED to sort this out.
2. While they put me up in another hotel, it was a cab ride from the Conference centre where I needed to be. It ended up affecting work I needed to do that day (I had to miss a meeting in order to sort out where I was going to stay!) and I had to pay the extra taxi fares to and from the conference centre and my new hotel.
3. It would have been nice if the desk staff I met at 1 pm (who was different from the staff I had to deal with at 3) would have let me provide my information. I would have found out then the room was not avaiable and bought me more time to sort out my accomodations.
4. Based on the couple in front of me in line who also seemed to have a problem with their reservation, I wonder if it's a more systemic issue (at least for that one day). Maybe it is just during busy times like conferences, but I would think that's part of the hotel business.
5. While waiting at the front desk to deal with this, the valet and luggage services seemed undermanned. One person was trying to leave his keys at valet services, but no one was there so the one poor front desk staff (being asked to deal with both my and the other couple's lost reservations) had to set that up. Another couple was then trying to get their bags from luggage to put in the cab to the airport, and there was no one at bell services. It really seemed like a mis-management of staff during that time of the day. If 3 pm is the usual check in time, there should be more staff available.

For what it's worth the lobby looked clean and there was a t least one computer there for use for business/printing reasons. The front desk staff I dealt with tried as best possible to help me out, but it was clearly something that was not her fault.

Otherwise the location is a 1-min walk from the conference centre. It WOULD have been nice to take advantage of that.

Perhaps the issues were a one-off problem experienced that day, but it was a huge problem that affected my work-related trip. For that, I would never look to make a reservation there again for fear this woudl happen again. If booking here, DOUBLE CHECK BY CALLING AHEAD TO MAKE SURE YOUR RESERVATION IS REGISTERED.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business