“Nice Spot”

Ranked #34 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Calgary, Canada
“Nice Spot”
Reviewed June 15, 2011

While check-in personnel were a little stiff - or was it me after 3 hours on the road? (Most of) the rest of my experience was quite good. Well located in the centre of downtown overlooking the river valley, the Courtyard offers pleasant accommodation at reasonable cost. Comfortable rooms, king-size bed and great pillows - a real bonus. But what is it with hotels and their seeming inability to offer up a good breakfast at reasonable cost? Although (much) better than the Westin's breakfast next door (and about 1/2 the price) it's still no prize. Lunch was worth hanging around for. And I think they must do their fries in rendered beef fat - either that or they've found a very tasty substitute.
Friendly staff throughout and (very good) complimentary morning coffee in the lobby made for a pleasant stay. Oh - almost forgot - FREE INTERNET!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
dheinlein, Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Thanks very much for your review ThaiStick! We’re glad to know we were able to provide you a haven to enjoy after being on the road; it was our pleasure to have you stay with us. We’re also glad you enjoyed the fries at lunch, but I’m afraid the secret ingredient that makes so tasty must remain secret! Please come back to visit again soon.

Best regards,

Greg O’Neill, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Korean first
Cold Lake, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2011

Upon entering the hotel it is evident you are in "downtown" Edmonton, as we learned several gang signs in the lobby. I would definetley did not feel comfortable checking in after dark. The rooms are HUGE and bedding very comfortable. Beautiful view of the river valley. The staff are typical of Alberta in that average service is given at best. Nothing deserving of tipping. During breakfast we asked a waitress to please ask a customer to stop dropping the F Bombs so loud, and we were told it was Ok, he was still drunk. Nice. If it were not for the nice rooms I would give the hotel a very poor rating. If the staff were to be trained in customer service and the riff raff cleaned up , this hotel could actually be a destination. Take the valet parking service. For the price it could ensure you have a vehicle to leave town with.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank coolpoolers
Red Deer
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Stayed here for two nights while attending an event and the Shaw Conference Centre. Rooms are spacious, well-appointed and comfortable. Free wifi, comfortable beds, excellent customer service. My room looked out onto Jasper Avenue, but my colleagues has an amazing room that faced east and looked out over the river valley and conference centre. The rate was reasonable, reservations were easy and we had a wonderful stay!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
KellyAnn88, Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
Dear CentralABFamily,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I will let our customer service team know that you appreciated their service. I am glad you found our location
good for those attending the Shaw Conference Centre. I look forward to being of service to you again!

Truly yours,
Rigby, Idaho
Reviewed November 11, 2010

This hotel is in an older building, but it has been kept refurbished. I can't speak of all the rooms, but the king bed room I received was small. The breakfast buffet was good quality, but with very few choices that were the same every day.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Had booked this through Booking.com (from which I have booked before without problem) for a conference. I liked its close proximity to the Shaw Conference Center. I received the confirmation of booking from Booking.com one week prior.

I arrived at the hotel at 1 pm. When I tried to check in, I was told not to bother as no rooms were available until 3 pm. When I asked if I could do all the check in information and get my room card at 3 pm (I'll explain the significance later), again I was told not to bother.

I returned at 3 pm, and overheard a couple in front of me in line have problems with their reservation and reviewed my email confirmation with a sense of comfort. When I gave my name, I too was told that my name and reservation was not in the system. I showed my booking.com email reservation confirmation (again sent 8 days prior to the reservation), but was told that that site had 'forced' a room booking even though there were no rooms available.

I wondered why I hadn't been informed of this clear booking error in the preceding 7 days between the booking and the arrival date, to which I was told they did not have my contact information (I would assume they could get this from Booking.com?). The desk staff staff mentioned how she was told about this booking problem by her manager earlier in the day, and she was left to pick up the pieces. The hotel ended up booking a room for one night at a Ramada that was around a 5-10 min car drive away as well as taxi-fare to that hotel.

My overall comments about this experience:
1. Not sure if the problem was with Booking.com or the hotel. Maybe it's both. If Booking.com booked me in a room that didn't exist, I would think that the hotel would have noticed and in the 7 days prior have attempted to contact me. Booking.com had all my contact information so to say it wasn't accessible is NOT acceptable. If there is a communication issue between the hotel and Booking.com they NEED to sort this out.
2. While they put me up in another hotel, it was a cab ride from the Conference centre where I needed to be. It ended up affecting work I needed to do that day (I had to miss a meeting in order to sort out where I was going to stay!) and I had to pay the extra taxi fares to and from the conference centre and my new hotel.
3. It would have been nice if the desk staff I met at 1 pm (who was different from the staff I had to deal with at 3) would have let me provide my information. I would have found out then the room was not avaiable and bought me more time to sort out my accomodations.
4. Based on the couple in front of me in line who also seemed to have a problem with their reservation, I wonder if it's a more systemic issue (at least for that one day). Maybe it is just during busy times like conferences, but I would think that's part of the hotel business.
5. While waiting at the front desk to deal with this, the valet and luggage services seemed undermanned. One person was trying to leave his keys at valet services, but no one was there so the one poor front desk staff (being asked to deal with both my and the other couple's lost reservations) had to set that up. Another couple was then trying to get their bags from luggage to put in the cab to the airport, and there was no one at bell services. It really seemed like a mis-management of staff during that time of the day. If 3 pm is the usual check in time, there should be more staff available.

For what it's worth the lobby looked clean and there was a t least one computer there for use for business/printing reasons. The front desk staff I dealt with tried as best possible to help me out, but it was clearly something that was not her fault.

Otherwise the location is a 1-min walk from the conference centre. It WOULD have been nice to take advantage of that.

Perhaps the issues were a one-off problem experienced that day, but it was a huge problem that affected my work-related trip. For that, I would never look to make a reservation there again for fear this woudl happen again. If booking here, DOUBLE CHECK BY CALLING AHEAD TO MAKE SURE YOUR RESERVATION IS REGISTERED.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank peacefrogdog
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2010

We liked this hotel for its nice room and location. However be prepared for the very expensive parking with the hotel. Since it’s right downtown, you can easily find some overnight parking lots nearby, which are 50% cheaper. So, overall it was a good stay, especially if you prefer the downtown location.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Calgary, AB Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2010

I stayed at this hotel with a large group of ladies to attend a dragon boat festival, We were within walking distance of the festival location on the river.

We checked in for the group of 24 women and provdided a list of names for each room and the woman at the desk handled everythinkg efficiently and politely. She made a room key for each person and seemed accustomed to dealing with large groups.

We found the rooms to be very spacious. There were four of us sharing a room with 2 king beds. The beds were very comfortable. There was a fibrebed mattress topper and nice pillows.

The room was very spacious, but there were only two chairs to sit on and the dresser was very small. The bathroom was large, but there wasn't much counter space in relationship to the size of the room. There was a pedestal sink and a narrow ledge under the mirror - not much for 4 women with lots of toiletires!! There was a small fridge under the TV. It was behind a door which was part of the dresser, so we didn't know it was there until someone from another room told us about it.

The hotel was very secure - you needed a room key to use the elevators. There was valet parking only which cost $21/day. Since we could walk to our venue, we only needed our car one evening to go out for dinner.

We had lunch and a buffet breakfast in the dining room. It seemed overpriced and nothing special The scrambled eggs at the buffet were rubbery.

Other than the food, we were impressed with this hotel.

Stayed August 2010
dheinlein, Manager at Courtyard Edmonton Downtown, responded to this review, August 31, 2010
Dear Ruby,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel; it’s great to hear you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us. The dragon boat festival was excellent event, hope you had a nice time!