“Blood Stained Sheets At Strathcona Hotel in Edmonton”
Review of Strathcona Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Edmonton
Strathcona Hotel
Ranked #91 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Victoria, Canada
“Blood Stained Sheets At Strathcona Hotel in Edmonton”
Reviewed April 22, 2010

This really happened. First of all I checked into the hotel to the snarliest front desk clerk ever(female). After a few snarls from her I went out of my way to be really nice to her but to no avail. When I went to bed later that night I turned the bedspread back to go to bed only to see blood stains in the sheets. I went down and asked for another room or at the least a change of sheets but was told we don't let anyone change room. (half the hotel was empty) he wouldn't go and get new sheets for me. I asked for my money back and he said he had no authorization for that but come back the next day to talk to the manager. I went and took my things and left immediately. I came back the next day and was put off until later. Came back again and said well the clerk should of given you another room. I told them I asked for one or a change of sheets but to no avail. The final result based on a discussion between the manager and other people when I wasn't present was that I would not get my money back because quote "the stains weren't that big". I guess the blood stains have to be a certain size to get my money back??

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
22 Thank rocketman99

Families
Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Vancouver/Fort McMurray
Reviewed March 20, 2009

I went to Edmonton with some friends for a quick trip and listened to one girl's ideas in regards to almost the entire trip because she had been to Edmonton more times than me. We were on a tight budget and she'd said that she found a hotel on Whyte ave that was 'old and funky' and really cheap, so it sounded good.

Long story short, homeless people and hookers definitely go there to do drugs. It was dirty. We found a crackpipe under our bed. When we showed the crackpipe to the front desk clerk, she picked it up with her bare hands, said nothing, and walked away.

By the time we'd arrived, we were too tired and it was too late to find anywhere else....I did NOT sleep under the blankets...I just slept on top of the bed because I was so creeped out.

Oh yeah, your rooms don't come with bathrooms...or a shower.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
10 Thank TRossFletcher

Travelers are raving about these Edmonton hotels

Alberta
Reviewed November 20, 2008

To start with, I must say that I've never actually stayed the night in a room, but you have to expect when heading to the Strat that it is going to be DIRTY!
This is a classic piece of Edmonton history that people's parents and grandparent's can still talk about. The bar there is dirty and serves the best cheap beer in all of Edmonton. Think $8.95 for a pitcher. This is a place where you can walk in, not know anyone and sit down at a table, split a jug, and meet some very cool people. Being a girl, you never feel harrased or scared for your safety like at any night club in town. It seems wierd, but it's the happy vibe you get from everyone. Maybe there's something to do with having lights on too!
To top things off, where else can you go and get popcorn and pickled eggs at a bar? Or drink gladiators made with orange tang?

To stay at the Strat, you have to be prepared for the dirt involved and the people found in Edmonton area, but for a good night and a cheap place to stay, I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who's not squeemish or too prissy to have a good time and handle themselves in this sort of situation

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
4 Thank EdGirl_8
Calgary
Reviewed May 20, 2006

Well, no one has written a review for this hotel, so thougth I would share my breif experience with it a few years ago.

A friend had advised this was a good budget place to stay in Edmonton if you wanted a budget hotel on Whyte Avenue. I knew it wouldn't be a great hotel, but they advised it wasn't too bad, just very old and no frills, and no different than staying in a hostel.

When we got into the room, we were stunned by how dirty it was. The tiles in the bathroom had a thick yellow scum in the grout (all the way to the ceiling). There was something on the bathroom mirror that resembled toothpaste spit. There were stains on the bed sheets (yes, those kinds of stains). The kicker was the window. It was broken so you couldn't close it all the way or lock it. Outside underneath the window was a staircase going right down to the ground. The ledge underneath the window was littered with cigarette butts and wine bottles. There was a lot of room under there....looks like someone was kind of living right under the window that you can't lock!

Not wanting to stay the night and find out who our "neighbour" was (especially knowing they would have full access to our room while we was sleeping)...we immediately left the room with our luggage in tow and advised we wanted our money back. We cited security (or lack thereof) as the reason. The lady at the desk gave us our money back, but not until after she tried to imply that perhaps we had quickly "used" the room to our advantage (we were there a total of 5 minutes and with all our luggage hardly look like a hooker & her john). It was kind of insulting, but I guess that's the kind of clientelle she was accustomed to dealing with.

To summarize...I never took a hotel recommendation from that friend again. We headed down to the Varscona Hotel and were lucky enough to get in there (The Varscona was perfect!).

• Stayed July 2003