“Fantastic time and a great guide/teacher.”

River Valley Adventure Company
Ranked #5 of 22 Tours in Edmonton
Fort Saskatchewan
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Fantastic time and a great guide/teacher.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

I usually don't give anyone the excellent rating as people may just think it's someone ignoring the high ratings but this one definitely deserved this rating. It was an amazing 90 minutes. Chris the owner of the company (yup the owner gave the tour) but he was great!!! He was patient with all 6 of us on our tour. My friend and I were both shaky to start but with his guidance we were quite at home on the segway not long into the tour. They are sooooooo much fun!!! I will definitely go again. After our hour tour was up he offered to give us another 30 minutes (the longer tour) for $25 extra. No pressure though but we all said sure. It was worth it. We went across to the other side of the river and went through parks I've never been through. Go! Go! Go! if you have the time.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Albertatraveller2020

Edmonton, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Service Extraordinaire Leads To A Great Day On The Trails”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I had friends from Nova Scotia and Ontarrible in for the week visiting and we wanted to do some sight seeing and decided to get a little exercise in as well so my guests rented bikes from Jana at River Valley Adventure Company Tours in Louise McKinney Park at 9735 Grierson Hill NW (across the street from the hill side of the SHAW Convention Centre). Very nice bikes. Disc brakes and all. $500 deposit given the quality of the bikes. Besides renting quality bikes, Jana also makes an awesome Cafe Americano and the homemade protien square I bought from her (because I skipped breakfast) was all the nourishment I needed for a 40+ km ride throught the trail system along the Saskatchewan River via The Conservatory, The University of Alberta and 82nd Avenue (Whyte).

Having heard we were first timers on the trail, Jana took the time to grab us a complimentary map of superior quality and point out a few possible routes for us to take as well as give us the benefit of her local knowledge of the trails, good spots, current danger spots (given the river level) and cool things to do and see in general while out for a ride. She also gave us the lowdown on the River Boat, fishing and swimming in the river. We must have gotten almost a half hour of Jana's time (it was early SAT morning: opening time 0930), which made for a great day on the trails as well as the desire to continue to visit her cafe, the trails and the river area in general. We alkso got to watch her hubby, Chris, train a group of 'SEGWAY' renters going out for a trail ride on those two-wheeled 'motorized pogo sticks' the EPS are now riding around downtown. Looks like fun but not for me.

In any event, it would have been almost impossible to have had a warmer, friendlier, more enjoyable encounter with anyone than the one we had with Jana renting bikes, enjoying her cafe fare and riding the largest 'in town' trail system in North America. I highly recommend stopping in to meet Jana & Chris and, whatever your interests, take some time to get to know them and enjoy their service, company and expertise. It will make for a great day!

Visited July 2013
Regina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“More Fun Than We Ever Expected”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

If you are looking for something different to do on your next visit to Edmonton do yourself a favour and check out the Segway tours at River Valley Adventure Company. We happened to be in Edmonton in March 2013 and were given this extraordinary opportunity as a gift.

Though we had seen Segways in various cities that we've visited (San Francisco, Los Angeles etc.) we only thought of them as a novelty. Had we any idea how much fun they would be we would have tried them years ago. What was quite unique is that we were visiting the city in the winter and we had no idea that tours were provided at this time of year. Were we ever impressed. There had been a crisp new snowfall two days before our tour and the river valley was transformed into a winter wonderland. As an amateur photographer, I was thrilled at some of the photos I was able to take along the way. Now that we've seen how beautiful the city is in the winter we can't wait to go back again.

Unbeknown to me, my wife was very apprehensive about "driving" any device that she was merely standing on. However, after a fifteeen minute training course she began to gain her comfort. That, I would suggest, was solely due to the kind and patient coaching that our guide Chris provided. By the end of the session, we were confidently navigating cones, moving backwards and taking complete command.

My wife had recently had knee surgery and I was quite concerned if she would be able to control the unit. Yes, it took a bit of balance work at first work, however, once she relaxed the amount of mobility she gained was amazing. I know she would never have been able to walk the distance we travelled. So no matter what your age - if you (or someone you care about) has challenges with their mobility - a Segway tour may be just the thing to consider!

So the next time you're looking for something truly "cool" to do, treat yourself (or someone else) to some time on a Segway. Better yet, try it out during each season as it will provide a new perspective that should not be missed.

Thanks Chris for introducing us to this wonderful experience. We can't wait to come back again.

Visited March 2013
Blackfalds, Alberta, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Segway-ing in Edmonton”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

I saw a demonstration of a Segway a few years ago and knew immediately I wanted to try it so when a Groupon coupon showed up in my inbox for a Segway tour on the Saskatchewan River in Edmonton Alberta I jumped at it. And before I knew it my husband and I were jumping on the Segways and enjoying the view. Owner Chris and his assistant Veronica gave us a quick but perfect training session and then led us along a paved trail. Chris stopped now and then to point out the sights and explain what we were looking at - like the hand carved lions from China and the Magpie nest high in a tree. We were thrilled to get our Segway licences at the end of the tour and will definitely go back for a longer tour. BTW, Chris also rents bicycles and runs the only cafe along the trails so you can stop for a snack and a drink as well. Highly recommended.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Marcia L
Sherwood Park
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“What a blast! Super fun way to spend an afternoon.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We decided to buy 2 groupons to use for a 1 hour segway in the river valley experience. Both my husband and I weren't sure what to expect. Our experience exceeded our expecations! Our guide Pete was fantastic. Very enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Pete was incredibly helpful at teaching the basics of how to manouvre the segway and we were on our way after practising a few skills. Pete was wonderful as he would stop at various photo locations and asked if he would like a few photos there, so he would take pics with our camera. We explored Louise McKinney Park which we had never been to before. You have the option of buying an extra 30 minutes on the segway for $25 if you are keen to keep going past the hour. The scenery was really pretty and it was a wonderful way to spend the afternoon. Thanks to Pete for a great experience! We can't wait to go again in the fall when the leaves are changing colours.

Visited May 2013